Cancel Culture - does it exist?

bluethrunthru

I see loads of stuff on the topic but surely this is only a thing if the "cancelled " person accepts it? Just ignore them and carry on and you aren't cancelled - the only people who have any sort of legitimate claim are people who say/do something which affects peoples perception of them and their channel gets closed down - hence some opinionated loon posts a message on a platform that is offensive or breaches the platforms CoC - the platform then closes the channel and they get bent over the consequences - i.e. they lose an income stream because they broke the sites rules - as a result they are costing themselves income and decide to play the cancel culture card in their defence

Isn't cancel culture the 'want' of cancelling something rather than the 'act' of cancelling something?

Cancel culture wouldn't exists if people just switched over or scrolled up on something they didn't like or agree with.
Most people have mundane lives, but live a life on social media.

All media accounts ask open questions to get people to respond and people love to give their opinions.

Pretty much every post with an open question polarises people.

These days, anyone who makes any form of mistake in the public eye should be cancelled for it.

I see loads of stuff on the topic but surely this is only a thing if the "cancelled " person accepts it? Just ignore them and carry on and you aren't cancelled - the only people who have any sort of legitimate claim are people who say/do something which affects peoples perception of them and their channel gets closed down - hence some opinionated loon posts a message on a platform that is offensive or breaches the platforms CoC - the platform then closes the channel and they get bent over the consequences - i.e. they lose an income stream because they broke the sites rules - as a result they are costing themselves income and decide to play the cancel culture card in their defence

What do you mean does it exist?

There is the coloquialism we use in general chat as somewhat of a joke, that you are maybe referring to.

But then there is the real thing. Hundreds of statues of various historic figures have been taken down, in the US alone, and many more worldwide. A handful in the UK that I've seen claimed. Naming plaques. Streets and places renamed. TV episodes have been taken off air and some entire shows cancelled or banned. Branding changed of multiple products. There are campaigns and applications to demolish whole buildings including museums and galleries, where they are percieved to have been built on any trade involving slavery.

May have peaked, but certainly was/is a thing.

Yes, of course it does. Do some people equally exploit it as a grift? Naturally.

It's very easy to throw out an accusation or demand apologies for being offended. Much harder to actually prove any of it, and nigh on impossible to come back from it once it's stuck to you, even if you walk free at the end of it.

It's an ideological method to subvert the criminal justice system.

Most people have mundane lives, but live a life on social media.

All media accounts ask open questions to get people to respond and people love to give their opinions.

Pretty much every post with an open question polarises people.
Very true. I expect the opening post /thread to develop this way as the day goes on. There does seem to be hysteria around cancel culture, but I do think there are elements of control/suppression that want to police what we are allowed to see or be exposed to online. All well intended I'm sure, but also slightly arrogant and condescending in that it implies that people are not bright enough on the whole to make their own minds up. If this is the case, then I feel the solution is education and debate rather than censorship.

Was it a good thing that Harvey Weinstein was called out and the women he raped given justice? OBVIOUSLY yes.

Was it a good thing that institutional racism in the police was called out? Again, obviously yes.

But like everything these things turn down ridiculous avenues and you have things like 400 year old pubs with names like ‘the ye olde black boy’ having to change the name because random virtue signalling wankers on social media are offended, despite the pub actually being named after miners or dock workers covered in soot or whatever.

Or the attempt to “cancel” Bob Dylan because he tried to chat up some 16 year old back in the early 60s when he was barely older than that himself. AND IT WAS THE FUCKING 60s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.