Car driving standards

30 something years ago I was a traffic policeman - believe me, there were enough bad drivers then to keep us busy. Many of them are now FOC's and have added a lifetimes bad habits to whatever they were doing in those days.

So, I don't think driving standards have dropped - however, our roads are busier, our cars bigger and full of driving aids that I'm not convinced really help us to pay attention - it's just a host beeps, blips and virtual instructions that can create even more confusion. And the safety standard of modern cars mean that the consequence of bad driving are less severe (5,217 deaths in 1990, 1695 in 2022 according to Wikipedia).

And I also find driving less enjoyable than I did, it's a way of getting from A to B with the odd nice surprise of finding an empty country road to enjoy and remind myself of advanced driving techniques. Much prefer the bus and train when I can find one that is available and convenient.

I was coming from Chester towards Manchester recently. There was a driver doing 40 in the second lane of two, Junction 15 joining the M56. When he reached the M56, he drove straight into the middle lane, causing the vehicle in that lane to take evasive action. Then he continued at 60ish (maybe slower) in that lane, causing everyone to drive around him on both sides.

Questions that came to mind.

1. How has this person passed a driving test?
2. Is it acceptable for other drivers to undertake in these circumstances?
3. If anyone has dashcam footage, is it possible to report the driver so that action can be taken?
4. Has anyone in similar circumstances gone in front of the bad driver and slowed down in order to force him out of the middle lane? I'm often inclined to do this, but my wife would go crazy!

It's that time of year now that too many cars have headlights like Long John Silver or Marty Feldman.

It's a nightmare wearing vary focals too with cars either having too bright lights or not angled correctly.

Dashcams are a must these days with the morons on the roads.
I'm buying one online tonight after last night's incident. The psycho who nearly crashed into me switching lanes without looking shouldn't be driving, especially with her offspring in the back. To then brake check me was moronic.

I was coming from Chester towards Manchester recently. There was a driver doing 40 in the second lane of two, Junction 15 joining the M56. When he reached the M56, he drove straight into the middle lane, causing the vehicle in that lane to take evasive action. Then he continued at 60ish (maybe slower) in that lane, causing everyone to drive around him on both sides.

Questions that came to mind.

1. How has this person passed a driving test?
2. Is it acceptable for other drivers to undertake in these circumstances?
3. If anyone has dashcam footage, is it possible to report the driver so that action can be taken?
4. Has anyone in similar circumstances gone in front of the bad driver and slowed down in order to force him out of the middle lane? I'm often inclined to do this, but my wife would go crazy!

I’ve done something similar to your fourth point a few times, middle lane drivers going slow just drive me mad.

Went to France on holiday in the summer, such a difference in how they drive on the main roads. They’re treated fully like overtaking lanes. Cars indicate, move lane and then move straight back over.

I'm buying one online tonight after last night's incident. The psycho who nearly crashed into me switching lanes without looking shouldn't be driving, especially with her offspring in the back. To then brake check me was moronic.
Makes sense. I have hardwired a mounting kit into all my cars and move the camera to whichever car I'm using.

Since I’ve retired I very rarely use my car………..like wacky races when I have to do weekly shopping………not me, other drivers !
Go anywhere in rush hour and we see the roads rammed with shit drivers all rushing to get in front of the car in front. I rarely hit the roads at peak times but do drive a lot in the quieter periods and it's nowhere near as bad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.