car insurance advice for teenager

C17Y CJ

Stepson, 17 years old, has just passed his driving test and has 'J' reg fiesta so now needs to insure it.

What's the best / cheapest way of doing so? Anyone in the insurance industry or sorted things out for their children? Any help appreciated.

PS - Cheapest quote is £4300 apparently.

i would have thought he'll get shafted, (pardon the pun) if its in his name, you could add him on yours, some companies will then take it into account when he eventually gets his own providing he has made no claims

Insurance for youngsters is not cheap (im 23 and mine is still pretty expensive).

My advice would be to get a Pass Plus as most companies will give large first year discounts to to those who have one (I got a 50% reduction with NU, although this was 5 years ago now).

Shop around, there are deals out there, but the long and short of it is that young drivers (espcially lads) are a very high risk and therefore command a higher premium.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Strictly speaking you're not supposed to do it but put the car in your name and insure him as a named driver. But do it with a company that allows him to build up his own NCD.
Doing this is an option, but only on the current policyholder's car. If this is the Fiesta then that would be fine, however if the Fiesta is the 2nd car in the household the chances are it will be declined due to the posibility of 'Fronting'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.