Car Insurance

mancity dan said:
shadygiz said:
i own my bmw, but the missus drives it and it is insured in her name and paid for out of my bank account :S

therefore, i dont have insurance on my own car, but my missus does

Your wife will have the extension to drive other people's cars as she is the policyholder shady

thats what i was trying to say in my OP on the first page mate......my understanding is; if el hombres mum & dad are both policyholders on their own cars as main drivers then they will be insured 3rd party on el hombres motor....if however his dad is the main policyholder and his mum a named driver on it, then only his dad can drive el hombres car

shadygiz said:
mancity dan said:
Your wife will have the extension to drive other people's cars as she is the policyholder shady

thats what i was trying to say in my OP on the first page mate......my understanding is; if el hombres mum & dad are both policyholders on their own cars as main drivers then they will be insured 3rd party on el hombres motor....if however his dad is the main policyholder and his mum a named driver on it, then only his dad can drive el hombres car
Correct pal

mancity dan said:
shadygiz said:
Correct pal

As long as the vehicle itself is insured in its own right...If it's not, no one can drive it.

I've worked in insurance for over 20 years, and some of these points need setting right.

Firstly, it is not a fact that if you have a fully comp policy then you have the 'driving other cars' extension. You will need to check the wording on the certificate! It can also sometimes be included on a third party, fire and theft policy, or even a third party only policy!

Secondly, as has been stated, it only allows for the policyholder to do this.

Thirdly, the car being driven has to be insured, or the driver can get into trouble, as as soon as he parks it and gets out he is allowing a vehicle to be on the highway without insurance.

And you can not have an insurance policy on a vehicle that does not belong to you as there is no insurable interest. So if you insure your dad's/kid's car in your name, the policy is void....the only difference is if a spouse insures their husband's/wife's car as it is ocnsidered a joint equity.....

Any questions on employer's/public liability claims also answered.

Basically, if your parents have DOC cover they can drive the car on that extension even if there is no cover with yourself, but, as soon as they get out of the car then the car is no longer insured. Also bear in mind that some insurance companies will not allow the DOC cover to extend to a car that is not insured elsewhere. The other option is for your parents to insure the car on a temporary additional vehicle basis whereby they will be fully insured as will your car.
Speaking as someone who works for a large insurance company the latter option is the best one because the police could still impound the car if they are not satisfied that there is adequate cover in place

sjb1970 said:
Basically, if your parents have DOC cover they can drive the car on that extension even if there is no cover with yourself,
No. No. No. No. No. No. The car itself has to have 3rd party insurance. It's a legal requirement. It is illegal to own or drive a car which is not insured in its own right. Link
sjb1970 said:
Speaking as someone who works for a large insurance company
You should know that then.

Trust me mate the company I work for will always confirm cover to the rozzers if one of our insured is driving a car on DOC that isn't covered elsewhere.

as long as the person driving the car is fully comp then it is okay to drive it.. but if stopped by the police they will be instructed to get the car insured. but it wont be crushed.

it shown on one of them tv things where they follow a copper.. he stopped someone for no insurance but the driver had his own insurance and the copper let him go, even though the car itself wasnt insured.

foolsgold* said:
as long as the person driving the car is fully comp then it is okay to drive it.. but if stopped by the police they will be instructed to get the car insured. but it wont be crushed.

it shown on one of them tv things where they follow a copper.. he stopped someone for no insurance but the driver had his own insurance and the copper let him go, even though the car itself wasnt insured.
People are confusing the police showing some leeway and the letter of the law.

The latter is quite simple: The owner of a car on the public road has to have third party insurance as a minimum. In the circumstances outlined above the police are not enforcing the law but they could do and the law says a car not properly insured can be impounded.

I work across the road from New Scotland Yard so I'll ask them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.