Carabao Cup R3 Draw | Watford (H) | Tues 24th Sept, 49 hours after Arsenal

You should look at some of their matches on TV, loads of empty seats.

Last season average attendance was 36,207 in a 49,000 capacity ground so 73%

We manager 80% in the 3rd tier of English football.
The only important figure there is their average attendance.

We only spent one season in the third tier, Sunderland had four and bettered our average in every season apart from the Covid one when nobody attended. Proper respect from me for that, Sunderland have a fantastic support.

Also worth noting that Sunderland only has a population of around 300,000.
Leeds is also a one-club city but they’re a conurbation about five times the size of Sunderland but only have an average attendance about the same as them.

Plus I bet away fans don’t sell as many tickets travelling up to Sunderland as they do to much closer grounds. Only two clubs in the Championship are within 100 miles of Sunderland.

We only spent one season in the third tier, Sunderland had four and bettered our average in every season apart from the Covid one when nobody attended. Proper respect from me for that, Sunderland have a fantastic support.

Leeds is also a one-club city but they’re a conurbation about five times the size of Sunderland but only have an average attendance about the same as them.

Plus I bet away fans don’t sell as many tickets travelling up to Sunderland as they do to much closer grounds. Only two clubs in the Championship are within 100 miles of Sunderland.
The support for Sunderland comes from way beyond the boundaries of the Borough. Sunderland have considerable support in North Shields, South Shields, Gateshead, and Durham. Sunderland were the dominant team throughout County Durham although outmigration from Newcastle has changed this over recent years.

I spent some time after the 2014 League Cup Final win talking to a Sunderland supporter from Chester-le-Street and he explained the background to me.

Agreed and maybe all those lapsed season card holders can be tempted back with their kids. Should a standard £10 for adults all over the stadium and £5 for kids. Doesn't matter if you are SS1 or CB3, same prices everywhere.
No chance of that price for adults. Kids potentially but more likely to be £15-£20 for adults I reckon.

It was in the early years. The first one ran over two or three seasons with a combined ‘London’ team entered. The rules were that the team competing had to be from a City and, I think, only one team per City were allowed. It was fairly conventional in format by the time that Newcastle won it.

The first running of the European Cup was also invitational. Aberdeen, who were Scottish Champions, were not invited and Hibs were. This was presumably because Hibs had been consistent performers over the post war era while Aberdeen were not.
Aberdeen,Hearts,Rangers and Celtic did not want to play in the first European Cup thinking it would not catch on.
Hibs then got invited because they had floodlights.

And the one where the crowds dwindle down the quickest when they are doing badly. Vast areas of empty seats in recent years at both Sunderland and Middlesborough.

When City were at their lowest the fans flocked to Maine Road in their thousands to give support to the team.

Always depressing to see City fans fan shame other fanbases exactly like other fanbases try to do about us.

I went to nearly every home match in the 96/97, 97/98, 98/99 season and although our support was admirable, there was plenty of empty seats and our period in the wilderness was for a much shorter duration in time.

City’s support overall was great just as Sunderland’s and Boro’s is now.

Last edited:

Yep totally agree with all that.
Though the only thing that is different for sunderland which is a big plus, is they are a one team town. Where as we had to share a city with that red shite, and at a time where they were winning the lot, we were at out worse, so in that respect we deserve a little extra credit. Throw in the fact we have clubs like bolton, oldham, bury, Rochdale, Stockport etc all within 10 miles gives us a little extra kudos.

But i take nothing away from sunderland , anyone who was at maine road in 1992 (?) the day they got relegated will know how fantastic their fans are

Leeds, however, piss me off. They have a HUGE population to pick from. Really the whole of yorkshire (not inc south) ! With only bradford to contend for support with.
A day out on the yorkshire coast, all the way up to whitby and you see loads of leeds tops. Taking that into account i think their support over the years is pretty average but instead is lauded
Similarly newcastle have anything north of the city to themselves , albeit less populated, all the way up to berwick where they start to share with rangers and hearts

Came out this scheme a few years ago. Best decision I ever made.
Never missed out on tickets for Wembley and with my shifts I can just pick and choose if I go to these games.
I am presuming our game will be W/C 23rd Sept?
Last season you missed out on 200 ticket points for no outlay at all as we were beaten away in the 3rd round.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.