Celtic v City post match

I agree we matched Celtic for effort and we were desperately unlucky not to win in the end. I cant agree hoofing the ball from defence when being pressed can be classed as good defensive work and is clearly not what Pep is looking for. The fact is too many of our players in defence and attack had an off night. I believe if we start Stones (who along with Bravo are the only comfirtable players with ball at feet being pressed) Celtics high press is less effective as we have 2 at the back who can pass rather than hoof and we keep possession. I bet we dont see that central defensive partnership again.

I don't really class that as defensive work.

I thought it was a really enjoyable game. Great effort by Celtic, some real bad luck for us, and fantastic grit and determination to come from behind 3 times.

If you still enjoy football as a game, what was not to love last night?

Yeah, was going to post something similar. Obviously a bit gutted that we didn't win but a fantastic game for the neutral. I knew we'd get tested up there and fair play to Celtic for giving us a proper game with players that are far inferior on paper. On balance of play we should've gotten the win but you get days like that sometimes. Hopefully not too much damage done with Barca beating BMG looking like a good result for us in terms of qualifying.

Would expect nothing else from a Rangers follower like yourself. Good luck in the relegation fight this year!

Well I'm oldschool City going back to the days of the scoreboard end. Used to meet some Rangers lads in the Claremont who would come down for our games and they were sound.
How about you ? Or is this all too upsetting for you ?

Ours according to Hahoop. Nobody has told him Celtic didn't win last night even though it was their cup final. Someone will have to break the bad news to him before he makes an ever bigger dick of himself.

"Salty tears". Lol again. Embarassing and desperate.
Ha !completely missed that .In fact It's just read his post and in between the lines , it's his bitterness that tastes like salty tears.

Well I'm oldschool City going back to the days of the scoreboard end. Used to meet some Rangers lads in the Claremont who would come down for our games and they were sound.
How about you ? Or is this all too upsetting for you ?
At an OT Derby in the 80s a coach load of Rangers fans showed up as 20 of us were in a bit of trouble from a bigger group of Utd , then for whatever reason tore into Utd and saved our arses , walked down to the ground with them ,good guys, liked them ever since that day .

A lot of iffy performances from our side last night. Shit happens.

The only real concern for me is our defending from set plays. Not had a chance to watch their opening goal back but we were really caught napping and I'm guessing this is something Spurs will try to capitalise on. And did anyone else notice Sterling marking Kolo at corners? Strange.

Raheem was by far our best player. Other than him, Silva's passing was off, Fernandinho went into full on Otamendi mode at times, Zaba struggled positionally and Gundogan still looks like he needs a couple more games to settle.

An unlucky deflection and an individual error lead to the other goals. Celtic really didn't threaten that much but our tempo was right down. I honestly don't believe he's as vital as some are making out but games like last night (and possibly against Spurs this weekend) are when we're going to miss Kevin. He creates something out of nothing and you need that when the opposition are so tight.

I don't really class that as defensive work.
Im afraid hoofing the ball is the preferred option for Kolorov or Otamendi when being pressed whithout having the option of Stones besides them. Mistakes happen at the back, it was sloppy by Kolorov but its part of the game. I think we were poor defensively last night and missed Stones, which Im guessing is why he was brought on. Stones starts we win,. we cope better with Celtics high pressing. Just my opinion though !

There was fortune in our goals, no doubt, but there was fortune in yours too. Kolarov's shot landing at the feet of Fernandinho when it could've gone anywhere (as we saw in another Kolarov effort that's just come back into orbit), Dembele's short pass to Brown that led to Sterling's (well-taken) goal, the parry by Gordon into the path of Nolito. You could go on about most goals, but that's just football.
I think more of us Blues should let you have this "moral victory" as it is quite a result for you and you did give us a great game(arguably one of our best opponents so far) but... our goals weren't half as fortunate as yours especially when you factor in the near misses and many attacks that just needed the right decision on the end(first time shot in some instances or a better final ball).

An offside is far more lucky than a player controlling a misplaced shot, it was brilliant from Dinho... controlled the ball dead which was traveling at some speed and put it in the exact corner he aimed for(slightly scuffed or not he was aiming for that bottom corner). Dembele's mistake was forced by good pressing so it wasn't just luck because many teams are handing us the ball in those positions and Sterling still had a lot to do. Our third goal was on the end of a brilliant move that your keeper did well to keep out in the first instance and Nolito followed up on it, again not that lucky.

I'm not really begrudging you enjoying the result it was a great game for the neutrals but it does feel like the media and the anti city football fans are wanting to take a harsh view on our part of it, when we weren't all bad(personally I think Gundogan should have scored but it wasn't to be and we'll take a point).

Last edited:
Think we got sucked into the intensity of the game and forgot to concentrate on defending like we normally do and building from the back. Took us until about 55mins to start resembling our normal game. We obviously didn't play great but we still managed to come back 3 times which shows a lot of character and I doubt we would have under Pellegrini. I don't really feel gutted about dropping points to what should be a viewed as a much lesser team because even though they were lucky in some way with all 3 goals I couldn't say they didn't deserve it. To use the cliche - they made their own luck with the intensity they played and made the game what it was, a great spectacle which you can't really be mad about. Unless your a mard arse.

Is annoying not winning a "battle of Britain" to Celtic though, bit like a derby but without the bitterness.

Great tactics by them on their first goal creating the confusion with the false runs by the way, they played a great game.

Last edited:
A lot of iffy performances from our side last night. Shit happens.

The only real concern for me is our defending from set plays. Not had a chance to watch their opening goal back but we were really caught napping and I'm guessing this is something Spurs will try to capitalise on. And did anyone else notice Sterling marking Kolo at corners? Strange.

Raheem was by far our best player. Other than him, Silva's passing was off, Fernandinho went into full on Otamendi mode at times, Zaba struggled positionally and Gundogan still looks like he needs a couple more games to settle.

An unlucky deflection and an individual error lead to the other goals. Celtic really didn't threaten that much but our tempo was right down. I honestly don't believe he's as vital as some are making out but games like last night (and possibly against Spurs this weekend) are when we're going to miss Kevin. He creates something out of nothing and you need that when the opposition are so tight.

The deflection was unlucky but their play leading up to it was slick (Taking our shit defending out of it. Had Sterling not tow poked it in the net, there is no way of knowing how that would have panned out. To be honest I thought our defending was shit for all three goals but there was some method in their thinking, even if the first was offside. I am not convinced by our set up at free kicks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.