Centre back options

We have to admit that Kompany is simply not going to stay fit for long periods.

Stones, Otamendi and Kolarov as our three centre back options is not good enough to win the league. I don't think any of the three are top centre backs, although Stones should go on to become world class in years to come.

Van Dijk is a no brainer in January.

Why does it have to be a world beater? How many times have we tried that? How are you going to develop Stones with Otamendi, Van Dijk, and Kompany miles ahead in the pecking order? Sell Kompany and bench Otamendi might be your answer but I think one or both of them are wrong. Why not get somebody in the vain of demicheles?

If you could see that before we bought him, why did no one at City notice the same thing before we spent 40 million (or whatever it actually was) on him?
A lot of athletic types have gone on to be very good defenders. So perhaps those who liked him were hoping for that outcome. Big, strong quick, athletic and a hard man. All qualities good defenders should probably have.

I doubt even his staunchest supporters thought him a good footballer. Just didn't thin technique was a major requirement for his role.

Why does it have to be a world beater? How many times have we tried that? How are you going to develop Stones with Otamendi, Van Dijk, and Kompany miles ahead in the pecking order? Sell Kompany and bench Otamendi might be your answer but I think one or both of them are wrong. Why not get somebody in the vain of demicheles?

Stones and Van Dijk would be our centre back pairing going forward.

Otamendi and Kolarov as the third and fourth choice. We can mention Kompany all day, but he's never fit.

Badstuber would be an okay cover signing for the rest of the season if he can stay fit for at least part of it, after that we should look for a first choice centre back and a leader. My first choice would be Alderweireld, followed by José Giménez at Atleti. We could sign Badstuber permanently if Pep thinks he can still get something out of him, however we would still need another centre-back.

Toby Alderweireld, 27, Tottenham Hotspur - Rumors of £25m buy-out clause
Holger Badstuber, 27, Bayern Munich - Valued at £3m, possible loan signing in January
José Fonte, 33, Southampton - £5-15m
José Giménez, 21, Atletico Madrid - Buyout £60m
Lucas Hernández, 20, Atletico Madrid - Valued at £20m
Aymeric Laporte, 22, Athletic Bilbao - £40m+
Kostas Manolas, 25, AS Roma - Valued around £40m
Jeison Murillo, 24, Inter Milan - Valued at £22m
Gerard Piqué, 29, Barcelona - £40m+
Alessio Romagnoli, 21, AC Milan - £40m+
Antonio Rüdiger, 23, AS Roma - Valued at £35m
Virgil Van Dijk, 25, Southampton - Valued at £60m
Raphaël Varane, 23, Real Madrid - £40m+

Last edited:
Badstuber would be an okay cover signing for the rest of the season if he can stay fit for at least part of it, after that we should look for a first choice centre back and a leader. My first choice would be Alderweireld, followed by José Giménez at Atleti. We could sign Badstuber permanently if Pep thinks he can still get something out of him, however we would still need another centre-back.

Toby Alderweireld, 27, Tottenham Hotspur - Rumors of £25m buy-out clause
Holger Badstuber, 27, Bayern Munich - Valued at £3m, possible loan signing in January
José Fonte, 33, Southampton - £5-15m
José Giménez, 21, Atletico Madrid - Buyout £60m
Lucas Hernández, 20, Atletico Madrid - Valued at £20m
Aymeric Laporte, 22, Athletic Bilbao - £40m+
Kostas Manolas, 25, AS Roma - Valued around £40m
Jeison Murillo, 24, Inter Milan - Valued at £22m
Gerard Piqué, 29, Barcelona - £40m+
Alessio Romagnoli, 21, AC Milan - £40m+
Antonio Rüdiger, 23, AS Roma - Valued at £35m
Virgil Van Dijk, 25, Southampton - Valued at £60m
Raphaël Varane, 23, Real Madrid - £40m+

Romagnoli, Van Dijk and Hernandez are the only ones I can see happening on that list. They're all the right style and profile for Pep.

I cant see us going back in for him.

Others have said that...I don't get why people think that. The only thing that has changed since last summer is he has proven he has recovered from his injury (and he costs an extra 7 million or so). Unless we know he isn't interested and I have seen nothing to suggest he isn't, I would think he is top of Pep's list again.

Others have said that...I don't get why people think that. The only thing that has changed since last summer is he has proven he has recovered from his injury (and he costs an extra 7 million or so). Unless we know he isn't interested and I have seen nothing to suggest he isn't, I would think he is top of Pep's list again.

Didn't he turn us down in the summer?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.