Centre back options

You do know Mascherano made 7 appearances at CB for Guardiola in 2010/11?

Would that include the Wembley Champions League final where he made United's attack look like a league 2 side that turned up for the play-offs early?

Also if you're just going to copy things off transfermarkt then you're going to make yourself look like a tit.

He played there for the majority of the season...closer to 30 games than 7. I know that because I watched that team, and didn't rely on someone filling in a website with his position.

Last edited:
Would that include the Wembley Champions League final where he made United's attack look like a league 2 side that turned up for the play-offs early?

It does include that yes.

I mean he didn't really have to defend at all in that game seeing as Barca completely dominated via possession

Ha! I love how insular you are that you think the Premier League is the only country in the world to have forwards over 6 ft tall. Must be nice.

Well I don't think that but the premier league is by far the most physical. If you think otherwise then why hasn't there been a successful 5'9ish CB in this league in the modern game?

Kimmich's already demonstrated he's a great CB in Guardiola team, so your minimum height requirement is pretty irrelevant.

He's also taller than Mascherano who Pep won absolutely everything with at CB, and who routinely showed that his height wasn't a problem against the best teams, and forwards, in the world.

Not to mention he'd hypothetically be next to Vinny 6'4'' or Stones 6'2'' with Mendy 6'2 and Walker 6'1'' either side.

Mascherano is a far better defender than Kimmich though. From what I've seen Kimmich is fine at centerback because of his reading of the game, but his physique and tackling isn't up there with the best (which Mascherano's absolutely is), and with how well rounded he is his future is probably in midfield. I'm not sure he proved to be a great centerback under Pep, he had a great game against Dortmund but otherwise didn't stand out, in fact he got destroyed by Juve in that 4-2 victory.

Also, Mascherano's height has proven to be his one glaring weakness, not from open play but at set pieces. Just this season Barcelona gave up their 1-0 lead at the end of the first Clasico because Ramos attacked him. Doesn't stop him from being world class of course, but it's still a weakness.

Well I don't think that but the premier league is by far the most physical. If you think otherwise then why hasn't there been a successful 5'9ish CB in this league in the modern game?

Probably because they 1) aren't common, and 2) The league is full of dinosaurs obsessed with size and pace like Pulis, Moyes and Allaradyce.

Mascherano is a far better defender than Kimmich though. From what I've seen Kimmich is fine at centerback because of his reading of the game, but his physique and tackling isn't up there with the best (which Mascherano's absolutely is), and with how well rounded he is his future is probably in midfield. I'm not sure he proved to be a great centerback under Pep, he had a great game against Dortmund but otherwise didn't stand out, in fact he got destroyed by Juve in that 4-2 victory.

Also, Mascherano's height has proven to be his one glaring weakness, not from open play but at set pieces. Just this season Barcelona gave up their 1-0 lead at the end of the first Clasico because Ramos attacked him, and even under Pep it was exposed a few times. Doesn't stop him from being world class of course, but it's still a weakness.

The set piece weakness would be ruled out by the fact everyone else in the backline would be over 6ft, and I disagree on your assessment of Kimmich's defending, or his role in the 4-2 which was Alaba's fault more than anything IMO.

Seems all irrelevant in the end though because @BillyShears said Perarnau told him no Barca or Bayern players this summer.

Not a young CB for sure..An 'older' experienced CB..25-30 years old..Small pool around that age.
No Bayern/Barca players and not Bonucci.
Has to be Alderweireld/Van Dijk..VVD more likely.

The set piece weakness would be ruled out by the fact everyone else in the backline would be over 6ft, and I disagree on your assessment of Kimmich's defending, or his role in the 4-2 which was Alaba's fault more than anything IMO.

Seems all irrelevant in the end though because @BillyShears said Perarnau told him no Barca or Bayern players this summer.
If I was to guess think we and Kimmich will see how it goes at Bayern this season and if we can we will try for him next summer to replace Toure and Fernandinho. Given next summer I Reckon we will only do 3 or 4 buys.

Not a young CB for sure..An 'older' experienced CB..25-30 years old..Small pool around that age.
No Bayern/Barca players and not Bonucci.
Has to be Alderweireld/Van Dijk..VVD more likely.

VVD not gonna happen he told City he wanted to join liverpool so City won't go back for him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.