Centre back options

No, but Maxwell and Adriano playing 72 games (54 starts) between them affects Abidal playing at left back.

Not really as Pep played 343 often and used both of those two on the left midfield spot.

Here's an article about how the game vs. Arsenal in Feb 2011 changed his Barcelona career as before then he'd been struggling to adapt to CB.
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ano-barcelona-nicklas-bendtner-changed-career

He played there for the entire second half of the season, at least 20 games on top of the couple he played there early on in the season, and without his performances there, they wouldn't have won the league or the CL.

The set piece weakness would be ruled out by the fact everyone else in the backline would be over 6ft, and I disagree on your assessment of Kimmich's defending, or his role in the 4-2 which was Alaba's fault more than anything IMO.

Seems all irrelevant in the end though because @BillyShears said Perarnau told him no Barca or Bayern players this summer.

Sadly yes. The secrecy isn't abating either. It's proper annoying. Haha.

Sadly yes. The secrecy isn't abating either. It's proper annoying. Haha.

The secrecy seems so unusual, I'm struggling to think of a reason they'd be so tight lipped. The only thing I can think of is maybe we want Walker to be officially a City player before rocking the Alderweireld boat. Or maybe the player is captain of his club and doesn't want to be seen as pushing for a move unless it's definitely going to happen.

It must also be at an embryonic stage because as soon as the other club gets involved it's going to leak to the press.

No team in England plays 2 giant CF together, so it's not an issue. You put the big man on the Carroll, Benteke, and let the smaller player pick up the ball after the challenge, or anyone running off the big man.

You'll often see an intelligent forward isolating the smaller man, as per this example from Costa. I think it'd make sense to have two strong, tall centre-backs for the league.

You'll often see an intelligent forward isolating the smaller man, as per this example from Costa. I think it'd make sense to have two strong, tall centre-backs for the league.

Hahaha oh please, you must have a better example than that, there's nothing about Otamendi's size which caused that goal, just his awful reading of the ball, lack of pace, and pathetic attempt to tackle.

Hahaha oh please, you must have a better example than that, there's nothing about Otamendi's size which caused that goal, just his awful reading of the ball, lack of pace, and pathetic attempt to tackle.

My point is that an intelligent striker can move enough to pick which of the two defenders he wants to be 1-1 with a lot of the time. Not all the time, sure, but enough to be able to get into dangerous positions. That's a good example of a striker doing that: Costa chose to isolate Otamendi, probably for the reasons you point out as well as the size difference.

Sorry to say I've not got time to go trawling for lots of videos to demonstrate every point in minute detail.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.