Centre-back

BringBackSwales said:
Neville Kneville said:
BringBackSwales said:
Assuming Fernando signs then he will make a huge difference to whoever the centre backs are - quite often last season our centre backs were too exposed, a price for the lovely attacking football we played, but with Fernando shielding and Yaya further forward for me this is the big signing that will potentially improve defence and attack

It should hopefully imrove things, but there is a lot of improvement needed on last season. Demi finished the season looking like a real top cb, but for the first half he was going for the record in potential disasters. Nastasic was on the same kamikaze mission when he played. Lescott was the safe pair of hands we always knew we could drop back in if things went completely to shit, but now that's gone, an injury to either cb & we're relying on Nastasic, with no other option but Boyata or bringing back Rekik.

When you look at Vinny's injury record, then consider the World Cup, then the fact Demi is 33. Then if we are going for 4 competitions again. There's a decent chance we could be playing some big games with Nastasic & Boyata at cb. Al Ain reserves had about 5 good scoring opportunities getting between those two easily, or when they just went missing or fell asleep at set pieces.

We really really really need a cb imo. I recon we need 2 ideally.

I wasn't saying we don't need a CB, I was just saying that Fernando will undoubtedly give them a lot more screening than they had the season just ended

Can Sagna play at CB? I seem to remember he was actually pretty good there. Would mean we can fly with one top class CB and Nasty, Demi, Boyata behind Vinny.

Davs 19 said:
Mr. Aguia said:
ForzaMancini said:
No we wouldn't. Are Madrid getting bombarded with bids for Varane? Or PSG for Marquinhos? Just because a player is young and world class doesn't mean they are going to be inundated with offers.

Yes they are. Chelsea has been in for Verane. Barca has been in for both.

Says who ? Even if that's true it doesn't really constitute 'bombarded', does it ?

But when Barca are in for a guy few others really have a chance to compete. Players may not be interested in other clubs etc.. Nobody is in for Ronaldo but he's still a great player. Just everyone knows he's not going anywhere.

Mr. Aguia said:
Davs 19 said:
Mr. Aguia said:
Yes they are. Chelsea has been in for Verane. Barca has been in for both.

Says who ? Even if that's true it doesn't really constitute 'bombarded', does it ?

But when Barca are in for a guy few others really have a chance to compete. Players may not be interested in other clubs etc.. Nobody is in for Ronaldo but he's still a great player. Just everyone knows he's not going anywhere.

That's not what you said though is it ? And, regardless of the difference in position, Varane & Marquinhos are nothing close to the marquee player Ronaldo is. They're just not that good.....yet.

I would not be too dismayed or disappointed if we don't sign a CB this summer. If Pellers decides that his targets are over priced or not committed to the cause, I think we could run with Vinnie, Martin and Nasty with Richards, Boyata, Rekik, Sagna and Garcia as potential cover. I know some will say that that leaves us vulnerable if Vinnie gets injured but Barca have left themselves in a similar position for years confident in the players in front of the back four and the keeper behind it. We should do the same rather than opt for an expensive third choice.

alternative Centre Back target

if we can't sign either Mangala or Benatia, who else do you prefer? is there any other CB target which have rumor with us in this summer, except for those two?

which player you would like to see in City's shirt that you think is available and realistically can be signed?

my personal choice : Vertonghen or Lovren

Re: alternative Centre Back target

capiloton said:
if we can't sign either Mangala or Benatia, who else do you prefer? is there any other CB target which have rumor with us in this summer, except for those two?

which player you would like to see in City's shirt that you think is available and realistically can be signed?

my personal choice : Vertonghen or Lovren

maybe fernando could ply centre back as he has the attributes and another midfielder like guarin maybe signed.

Re: alternative Centre Back target

Pepe or Godin. Great defenders for elite level club sides, lots of Champions League experience, can play LCB despite being right-footed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.