Centre-back

Besides the fact that I don't think we need a CD, seeing as we have decent to very good ones. But if we are really looking for cost effective alternatives to these overpriced defenders, I'd put my money on Joel Veltman. A young all round Solid defender.

Now the fixtures have come out I can see the club thinking twice about Benatia because if Yaya does decide to stay on with Ivory Coast I don't think we can afford two key members of what will be our first XI going away for a month or so.

One could go, but not both.

It will be interesting how the Benatia business pans out!

Dax777 said:
Besides the fact that I don't think we need a CD, seeing as we have decent to very good ones. But if we are really looking for cost effective alternatives to these overpriced defenders, I'd put my money on Joel Veltman. A young all round Solid defender.

If we want to continue in CL and become the top, we do. Our attack is amazing but our defence could be better and no youngster for 1m can solve that. Just remember Barca last season... Won't do mate

Jan? Suderland,Everton,Chelsea and Arsenal?

You don't think our squad could cope with those fixtures?

Behave.

FantasyIreland said:
Jan? Suderland,Everton,Chelsea and Arsenal?

You don't think our squad could cope with those fixtures?

Behave.

three of those teams took points off us last season plus Jan will bring some cup games as well

I really don't want to see us spending £25 - £30 million on a CB

The signing of Fernando will see us look a lot more solid in the CL and in any tricky games in the PL

Just think considering the spending cap we have that the money could be spent a bit better, we could sign a CB but id rather we signed someone who could improve us for half the money that is being quoted, rather than buying a 'big name'

chris85mcfc said:

The signing of Fernando will see us look a lot more solid in the CL and in any tricky games in the PL

Just think considering the spending cap we have that the money could be spent a bit better, we could sign a CB but id rather we signed someone who could improve us for half the money that is being quoted, rather than buying a 'big name'

But we NEED a better partner to Vinny and we do not need more attacking players, we have enough of that

I honestly find myself staggered that anyone could think we don't need a centre-back, especially with Lescott gone. We have one of the world's best, an aging veteran (34 during the season) who may not be able to repeat last season's level, a promising young defender who is years from his prime but who has struggled with the high line so far, and a couple of good prospects but no guarantees.

There is clearly a vacancy for a defender of exceptional quality in his 20s. We have more strength in depth everywhere else, which is why this is a priority and not one of the many luxury signings suggested (which should only come if there's money left over). We're one Kompany injury away (and we all know about his injury record) from potential catastrophe. Imagine a 34-year-old Demichelis and 21-year-old Nastasic for a couple of months or over two legs in the CL against elite opposition.

Central defence: Kompany, Demichelis, Nastasic, Boyata (Rekik)

Right-back: Zabaleta, Sagna

Left-back: Kolarov, Clichy

Central midfield: Yaya, Fernandinho, Fernando, Garcia, Rodwell

Attacking midfield: Silva, Nasri, Navas, Milner, Jovetic (Lopes)

Forward: Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo, Jovetic (Guidetti)

^ Central defence clearly stands out like a sore thumb as lacking quality in depth.

Klaude said:
chris85mcfc said:

But we NEED a better partner to Vinny and we do not need more attacking players, we have enough of that

I'm not saying we don't NEED a better partner. I'm saying i wish we didn't need to spend £30 million on one, plenty of top players have joined their clubs for <£10 million over the last few years. Vidic and Kompany were in that category.

chris85mcfc said:
Klaude said:
chris85mcfc said:

I'm not saying we don't NEED a better partner. I'm saying i wish we didn't need to spend £30 million on one, plenty of top players have joined their clubs for <£10 million over the last few years. Vidic and Kompany were in that category.
Kompany was nowhere near the level he is now. bit different, id prefer instant impact which is needed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.