Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

From a new opponents perspective:
Pot 1 - No new opponents
Pot 2 - We've never played Bayer Leverkusen or Benfica, so can we have them at home please.
Pot 3 - We've never played PSV or Lille, so can we have them at home please.
Pot 4 - We've never played Slovan Bratislava, Sparta Praha, Bologna, Girona, Stuttgart, Sturm Graz or Stade Brestois, so can we have two of them at home please.
I've never even heard of Stade Brestois. According to Wiki this is their first season in European football and have only been in Ligue 1 for about five seasons.

Pot 1 - No new opponents
Pot 2 - We've never played Bayer Leverkusen or Benfica, so can we have them at home please.
Pot 4 - We've never played Slovan Bratislava, Sparta Praha, Bologna, Girona, Stuttgart, Sturm Graz or Stade Brestois, so can we have two of them at home please.
I've never even heard of Stade Brestois. According to Wiki this is their first season in European football and have only been in Ligue 1 for about five seasons.
I’ve heard if Brest but didn’t know their full name was stade brestois.

Pot 1 - No new opponents
6 home games out of 8? Interesting……

This was helpful thanks NOU.

I like it, it’s new and different.

Finish top 8 and you’re through.

Finish as low as 24th and you can still go through via a play off.

Think that gives clubs who would usually finish 3rd/4th in the old format a great chance of progressing.

Not sure if the bigger clubs will look at it and think let’s finish as high as possible (1st to 8th) or will they just do enough to finish 9-24th and take the chance on going through via the play off?

You could end up with a club finishing 24th going on to win the thing.
The winner will come from the top 8, almost guaranteed, no club will want the burden of two extra games in February and by finishing as high as possible in the League it guarantees a home tie in the second leg of the knockout stage against a team finishing 9-24 plus the route to the final is easier, finish top 2 and those two teams can't meet until the final.

The draw is so contrived to the point of being ridiculous, and I thought the last format was bad. The poor golden goose is being banged again. It undermines the integrity of the completion if you play difficult away games (Atletico) without the chance to reverse a 'tie' at home. It's becoming a worse joke every year. Just draw the teams. If Arsenal beat us in the early rounds then they deserve to go further than us (unless they've paid the officials obv :-) )

The winner will come from the top 8, almost guaranteed, no club will want the burden of two extra games in February and by finishing as high as possible in the League it guarantees a home tie in the second leg of the knockout stage against a team finishing 9-24 plus the route to the final is easier, finish top 2 and those two teams can't meet until the final.

Nothing is guaranteed in football mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.