Champions League Draw - 29th August '24 | Opponents (pg69) | Fixtures (pg128)

Nothing is guaranteed in football mate.
Paddy Power and Billy Hill say differently! I know it could happen but I don't think any team outside the top 8 in the betting would win it. Last two final losing teams were not anywhere near the favourites but I'd suggest this new format will ensure outsiders have less of a chance this time around.

Looking forward to the truly batshit mental shit takes from the armchair social media fans when we draw Girona.

The draw is so contrived to the point of being ridiculous, and I thought the last format was bad. The poor golden goose is being banged again. It undermines the integrity of the completion if you play difficult away games (Atletico) without the chance to reverse a 'tie' at home. It's becoming a worse joke every year. Just draw the teams. If Arsenal beat us in the early rounds then they deserve to go further than us (unless they've paid the officials obv :-) )
Spot on. Almost said a truly open draw right the way through is the best way, too much money in fixing it now though and we've all become slowly accustomed and accepting to the fixing.

Can you imagine if we did the FA cup the same, weighting it heavily so that we almost guaranteed no all premier league ties until the quarters and no top 4 ties until the semi's. They'd be outcry across the country yet we have no issue with the champions league framed this way.

Paddy Power and Billy Hill say differently! I know it could happen but I don't think any team outside the top 8 in the betting would win it. Last two final losing teams were not anywhere near the favourites but I'd suggest this new format will ensure outsiders have less of a chance this time around.
I agree.

UEFA and the old ECA clubs aren't bothered about competition and romance. It's all about keeping the top teams at the top table over shocks.

You could say they followed the PL model before we came along for revenue.

Looking forward to the truly batshit mental shit takes from the armchair social media fans when we draw Girona.

Spot on. Almost said a truly open draw right the way through is the best way, too much money in fixing it now though and we've all become slowly accustomed and accepting to the fixing.

Can you imagine if we did the FA cup the same, weighting it heavily so that we almost guaranteed no all premier league ties until the quarters and no top 4 ties until the semi's. They'd be outcry across the country yet we have no issue with the champions league framed this way.

Teams who enter the FA Cup at the start have to win EIGHT ties to even get to the point where the Premier League teams enter, so it’s always been far from a truly open cup competition.

Just read up how it works this year. Bloody hell it's complicated. Sussed it now though I think.

Not read the thread yet and admittedly not done much research on the new format, but I'm actually quite excited for the new format.

Will be taxing on the squad but it certainly seems more exciting than the painfully stale group stages.

In the league phase, teams cannot face opponents from their own country and can face a maximum of two sides from the same country.

How the feck does that work then if we were to play 2 spainsh teams how can 2 spainsh teams play each other?​

The draw is so contrived to the point of being ridiculous, and I thought the last format was bad. The poor golden goose is being banged again. It undermines the integrity of the completion if you play difficult away games (Atletico) without the chance to reverse a 'tie' at home. It's becoming a worse joke every year. Just draw the teams. If Arsenal beat us in the early rounds then they deserve to go further than us (unless they've paid the officials obv :-) )

I much prefer this new format than the old fashioned straight knockouts. It's the same as people saying it should only be the 'champions' of each country.

I think it's great getting to watch City play against the best teams in Europe. Now we get to see eight different teams minimum each year. Loads of good away trips. Bigger matches from a neutral perspective too. What's not to like?

Some clubs will still get super tough draws, but there's always been luck involved.

I'm going into this optimistically as I think the group stages were quite stale. There's absolutely no chance clubs/UEFA will go back to straight knockouts (which I'm happy about too).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.