Champions League Draw (Cont...)

Re: Champions League Draw

I'm absolutely buzzing about our draw. There are only so many years that we'll be a Pot 2 club. In a decades time we may well have won this competition and even if we haven't our ranking points would see us be a Pot 1 club and we'll have boring and predicable groups year after year.

I'd rather pay £120+ to watch us play Real Madrid, Amsterdam Ajax and Borussia Dortmund with players like CRonaldo, Erikson and Lewandowski; rather than the likes of Cluj and Nordsælland with players like Kapetanos and Kildentoft. We spent a few decades in certain divisions playing teams with grounds and players we've never heard of so why do we want to do that again now we're an elite club?

For now while we still can get these kind of groups, this is exactly the kind of group I want.

Plus it's not like the money changes massively as the rounds of he competition progress. This is how the prize money was structured last season:
Playoffs: €2,100,000
Group stage: €3,900,000
For each match in group stage: €550,000
Group match victory: €800,000
Group match draw: €400,000
Round of 16: €3,000,000
Quarter-finals: €3,300,000
Semi-finals: €4,200,000
Losing finalist: €5,600,000
Winning the Final: €9,000,000
...actually progressing through the Group Stage to play in the Round of 16 you only earn an extra £2.37m. That's fuck all.

Besides, it's not like we're the Ajax of the group. We were third favourites to win the competition this morning. All three teams in our group will be more disappointed to have us than we feel about drawing them. Anyone who doesn't think we can qualify from this group doesn't realise how good we are. You don't win 28 games in the Premier League if you're not a very good team. With Carlos back (he missed 35 games in all comps last season) he's like a new signing and is at another level compared to players like Mario and Edin, and throughout our squad we will have learnt a lot from last season's competition and through winning the league. We are much better prepared this season for the Champions League.

Even if we don't progress it's not the end of the world because we're not in this competition for a few seasons and that will be us out. We're going to be qualifying for this competition every year for the foreseeable future. Every hard game we play, every year we make mistakes and lose games; we will learn and become a better team and club long term.

So you can keep your 5,000 Haradski Stadium and give me the 85000 Santiago Bernabéu Stadium anytime.

I cannot fucking wait. This is exactly why I was jumping for joy on 31st August 2008.

danburge82 said:
I'm absolutely buzzing about our draw. There are only so many years that we'll be a Pot 2 club. In a decades time we may well have won this competition and even if we haven't our ranking points would see us be a Pot 1 club and we'll have boring and predicable groups year after year.

I'd rather pay £120+ to watch us play Real Madrid, Amsterdam Ajax and Borussia Dortmund with players like CRonaldo, Erikson and Lewandowski; rather than the likes of Cluj and Nordsælland with players like Kapetanos and Kildentoft. We spent a few decades in certain divisions playing teams with grounds and players we've never heard of so why do we want to do that again now we're an elite club?

For now while we still can get these kind of groups, this is exactly the kind of group I want.

Plus it's not like the money changes massively as the rounds of he competition progress. This is how the prize money was structured last season:
...actually progressing through the Group Stage to play in the Round of 16 you only earn an extra £2.37m. That's fuck all.

Besides, it's not like we're the Ajax of the group. We were third favourites to win the competition this morning. All three teams in our group will be more disappointed to have us than we feel about drawing them. Anyone who doesn't think we can qualify from this group doesn't realise how good we are. You don't win 28 games in the Premier League if you're not a very good team. With Carlos back (he missed 35 games in all comps last season) he's like a new signing and is at another level compared to players like Mario and Edin, and throughout our squad we will have learnt a lot from last season's competition and through winning the league. We are much better prepared this season for the Champions League.

Even if we don't progress it's not the end of the world because we're not in this competition for a few seasons and that will be us out. We're going to be qualifying for this competition every year for the foreseeable future. Every hard game we play, every year we make mistakes and lose games; we will learn and become a better team and club long term.

So you can keep your 5,000 Haradski Stadium and give me the 85000 Santiago Bernabéu Stadium anytime.

I cannot fucking wait. This is exactly why I was jumping for joy on 31st August 2008.

Fucking poetry.

danburge82 said:

This post is so short sighted. So you with a nice draw you would have had a good shot of making the semi. That's an extra 6 million in prize money alone. Then that does not take into account the gate receipts, the bonuses you get from sponsors, the increase in fans and TV money. It's a huge hit.

Plus with an easier draw, because this draw is stupidly hard, you would still face the likes of Madrid and Barca, just later on.

An interesting fact if i have done my calculations correctly, last season we played 5 of the 8 teams that were in pot 1 today. We won 7 of the 10 matches played against these sides.

danburge82 said:

Great post DB and I agree with every fucking word, apart from the last bit.

It was September 1st 2008 ;-)

If we get out of this group (and I think we will) it will send out the message we have arrived at the top table of European football.
If we don't we'll have been to great places and seen some great games. Would rather lose to Real than be emarassed by the likes of Cluj etc.
It's what it's all about. Very very excited.

Can't wait!

The opportunity to play these incredible teams will be amazing- especially Real Madrid.

Hello Guys,

Let me introduce myself. I am from The Netherlands and I'm a die-hard Ajax fan. I was curious on how you felt about the draw so I looked around a little bit and I came to this topic.

I am very happy with this draw even though I think we really don't stand an chance against Man. City. I would like to give you all some more information about AFC Ajax because I think that you only know us from our years of glory.

Ajax doesn't buy very much players because we have one of the best youth academies in the world and the clubs in Holland really don't have that much money to buy the best players.

We've sold 2 of our best players this summer (Jan Vertonghen, Vurnon Anita) but we kept 1 of our rising stars. His name is Christian Eriksen and he is 20 years old. He is a left-footed attacking midfielder.

Well, enough about Ajax. I wish you all the best of luck in the Champions League and I hope we will both pass the group stage. Enjoy all the good things of Amsterdam ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.