Champions League Final | Post-Match Thread

I think you might be forgetting the time you beat us 3-1 at the Etihad under Conté?

We absolutely battered you, David Luis should have been sent off about 3 times, and Diego Costa scored a couple, completely against the run of play?

Anthony Taylor reffed that day and it’s widely considered the most biased refereeing performance among City fans in a domestic game in the modern era.

I think I was at that, and yes, it was abysmal by Taylor (was that the one where Luiz just took Sergio out, making no attempt to play the ball, when he was away?). But the most biased? Brighton recently was the worst refereeing performance against us that I can remember, personally. It was nothing short of disgraceful by Attwell. We're not attaching a lot of importance to it because it had no effect on the season.

Hello chaps. I've been reading quite a lot of this thread, voyeuristic weirdo that I am.

I decided to register so I could maybe offer a few thoughts from a Chelsea fan that, hopefully, will at least show some empathy towards an online fanbase that seem to be mostly proper football people. Respect.

Item 1: Pep's strategy. This is rightly the headline topic. When my two sons and I saw the starting line-ups just before 7pm we celebrated Ferna not being in the City 11. In boxing terms it seemed that Pep was going to show us zero respect and come out swinging, Rocky Balboa style, from the bell, looking to knock us out. Two early goals and then stick the doormen on would seem to have maybe been his strategy. I won't deny that I felt it was a little disrespectful, but if it had worked he'd have rightly been hailed as a genius. However, and not to sit on the fence, I felt he got it badly wrong. To go with a boxing analogy once again, if I were a City fan I'd have preferred, in a title fight, to cover up and feel my opponent out early on, find my distance, and then step on the gas once I'd got myself settled. Coming out swinging is a high risk strategy because if the knockout blow doesn't land you've basically punched yourself out and will likely get done with some swift counters. It was a big error imho, and gave us a significant advantage.

Item 2: Nerves. If you watch the CL music sequence where the camera pans across both teams, it seemed to me that many of the City lads looked like they were extremely nervous. I think this is totally understandable. City were being talked up as strong favourites, almost expected to win. Pretty much the whole world felt this was the time for City to take it to the next level, having pretty much owned the toughest league on the planet in recent years. That's a huge pressure on a human being. Contrast that with our lot, who only really needed to make top 4 (if we hadn't and needed the CL win we'd have likely been bricking it too). For us it was all gravy, so no shock that we played without nerves compared to your lot. For me this is actually the headline reason why a game between two top sides that was always going to be tight tipped in our favour.

Item 3: The cosmos(!). No team reaching their first CL final in recent years has won. It's actually a part, imho, of what makes the CL worth winning, and is going to taste so f*cking sweet when City win it (and they will, within the next 3 years imho). Noel Gallagher said this week that he didn't want City to coast to a CL title straight after winning their first Prem as it would've seemed too easy, like it was bought. He then said that after ten years City had paid their CL dues. I disagree Noel! Imho you have to get to a final and suffer the abject, unrelenting pain of losing, as we did against Utd in 2008 (at least you didn't have to lose on pens due to a slip from your capo). Only then have you paid your CL dues, and only then will you be ready to come back and win it. Like I said, it will feel 1 million times sweeter for this loss. You're now fully paid up boys :)

Item 4: Luck. There is always luck for the winning team. I felt that the ref slightly favoured us (maybe the bad blood with Pep?). Don't get me wrong, I thought the ref had a decent game and there weren't any super obvious mistakes. But if Anthony Taylor, the f*cking Chelsea hating muppet, had been in charge, you'd have had a pen for Reece's 'chest to arm' thing, and Toni would've likely been sent off for his challenge on Kev. It's all very subjective and I don't offer a definitive view on those two incidents. Just saying that the ref has the subtle power to elevate or squash such moments.

Item 5: Chelsea performance. Chelsea played an almost faultless game. Our defence all made JT level blocks to a man worthy of the huge occasion, without which you'd have scored three at least. Our attack moved intelligently, and if we were as deadly as Phil, Kun, Ilkay etc. in front of goal then we'd have put the game to bed sooner. I'd probably ask to see the post-match Chelsea drug testing if I were you lot :)

Anyway, in the final analysis, the combination of all of the above provided a mountain just a bit too tall to climb this time. It is not, however, because City aren't good enough. They are, and for all the preparations, money, resources etc., sometimes it's the more human things that decide the outcome. This most bitter of pills will not go down easy, but that's how it's meant to be. The benefit will, I guarantee, be felt by the club when you get your next crack, which will be sooner than you think imho.

Peace and all good vibes to you all boys. Football is worthless without significant competitors and obstacles to overcome.

What a difference from the dipper fans who come on here (by and large). I thought of signing up to Chelsea Shed End in the week before the match, to tell them that they were all being far too pessimistic. Turns out I was right.

Hello chaps. I've been reading quite a lot of this thread, voyeuristic weirdo that I am.

I decided to register so I could maybe offer a few thoughts from a Chelsea fan that, hopefully, will at least show some empathy towards an online fanbase that seem to be mostly proper football people. Respect.

Item 1: Pep's strategy. This is rightly the headline topic. When my two sons and I saw the starting line-ups just before 7pm we celebrated Ferna not being in the City 11. In boxing terms it seemed that Pep was going to show us zero respect and come out swinging, Rocky Balboa style, from the bell, looking to knock us out. Two early goals and then stick the doormen on would seem to have maybe been his strategy. I won't deny that I felt it was a little disrespectful, but if it had worked he'd have rightly been hailed as a genius. However, and not to sit on the fence, I felt he got it badly wrong. To go with a boxing analogy once again, if I were a City fan I'd have preferred, in a title fight, to cover up and feel my opponent out early on, find my distance, and then step on the gas once I'd got myself settled. Coming out swinging is a high risk strategy because if the knockout blow doesn't land you've basically punched yourself out and will likely get done with some swift counters. It was a big error imho, and gave us a significant advantage.

Item 2: Nerves. If you watch the CL music sequence where the camera pans across both teams, it seemed to me that many of the City lads looked like they were extremely nervous. I think this is totally understandable. City were being talked up as strong favourites, almost expected to win. Pretty much the whole world felt this was the time for City to take it to the next level, having pretty much owned the toughest league on the planet in recent years. That's a huge pressure on a human being. Contrast that with our lot, who only really needed to make top 4 (if we hadn't and needed the CL win we'd have likely been bricking it too). For us it was all gravy, so no shock that we played without nerves compared to your lot. For me this is actually the headline reason why a game between two top sides that was always going to be tight tipped in our favour.

Item 3: The cosmos(!). No team reaching their first CL final in recent years has won. It's actually a part, imho, of what makes the CL worth winning, and is going to taste so f*cking sweet when City win it (and they will, within the next 3 years imho). Noel Gallagher said this week that he didn't want City to coast to a CL title straight after winning their first Prem as it would've seemed too easy, like it was bought. He then said that after ten years City had paid their CL dues. I disagree Noel! Imho you have to get to a final and suffer the abject, unrelenting pain of losing, as we did against Utd in 2008 (at least you didn't have to lose on pens due to a slip from your capo). Only then have you paid your CL dues, and only then will you be ready to come back and win it. Like I said, it will feel 1 million times sweeter for this loss. You're now fully paid up boys :)

Item 4: Luck. There is always luck for the winning team. I felt that the ref slightly favoured us (maybe the bad blood with Pep?). Don't get me wrong, I thought the ref had a decent game and there weren't any super obvious mistakes. But if Anthony Taylor, the f*cking Chelsea hating muppet, had been in charge, you'd have had a pen for Reece's 'chest to arm' thing, and Toni would've likely been sent off for his challenge on Kev. It's all very subjective and I don't offer a definitive view on those two incidents. Just saying that the ref has the subtle power to elevate or squash such moments.

Item 5: Chelsea performance. Chelsea played an almost faultless game. Our defence all made JT level blocks to a man worthy of the huge occasion, without which you'd have scored three at least. Our attack moved intelligently, and if we were as deadly as Phil, Kun, Ilkay etc. in front of goal then we'd have put the game to bed sooner. I'd probably ask to see the post-match Chelsea drug testing if I were you lot :)

Anyway, in the final analysis, the combination of all of the above provided a mountain just a bit too tall to climb this time. It is not, however, because City aren't good enough. They are, and for all the preparations, money, resources etc., sometimes it's the more human things that decide the outcome. This most bitter of pills will not go down easy, but that's how it's meant to be. The benefit will, I guarantee, be felt by the club when you get your next crack, which will be sooner than you think imho.

Peace and all good vibes to you all boys. Football is worthless without significant competitors and obstacles to overcome.
Excellent post you voyeuristic ****.

My good friend is a Chelsea fan from back in the 60s and we were talking about the game beforehand and we both came to the conclusion that whoever scored first won 1-0 because both teams are so impressive defensively. You conceded 4 goals in getting to the final, we conceded 4 goals getting to the final. We had scored 25 you had scored 22. There was virtually nothing it. You also led us a merry dance in the FA Cup semi and we never looked like we would score that day. The recent league game was a one off, a bizarre sort of game with neither side showing their hand.

I thought Pep went gung ho to get that first goal because of your defensive strength and first ten minutes we had you on the back foot. Then you grew into the game. Kante was magnificent, Rudiger immense and your full backs were brilliant. The only time we missed having a Def Mid was your goal, but i thought Eddy was caught on the back foot for that and would normally have swept that up. Great ball from Mount though, he is quality.

Defensively you are so good you reduced us to long throws from Walker and high balls punted forwards. No team has done that to us this season and every credit to Chelsea your display was a masterclass in defensive and counter attacking play. Give credit to Werner too, his pace was always a danger and his run opened the space for Havertz to score.

I had no problem with the Ref, he had a decent game. It was sad to see Kev go off for us, i was screaming red at the time, but having seen it again, it is a yellow all day.

Good to see an opposing fan speak so much sense, congratulations on the win, the best team won the day.

Maybe see you in St Petersburg next season for the rematch, using a boxing analogy, it will not be the thriller in Manila, but the crusher in Russia.

All the best fella, cheers for posting.

The only crumb I can take is that if (an enormous IF) we win it next year (Scouse speak) we do so as it should be. As league champions this season.
Not much comfort I know.

Last edited:

Great analysis,you did indeed play very well,and the ref was fair,but the game can can be summed up by 'Pep fucked up'.

All the best,decent Chelsea fans are hard to find.

hi, thanks for posting .
do you want to swap managers , ours is a fucking idiot.

top post mate, i would like to say though, pep wasn't trying to be disrespectful , he knew what chelsea would do, you've done it 2 times before and won, you're a very solid team,defensively world class, pep tried to catch you out as you said, get a goal or two up then put on rodri and dinho, nothing to do with disrespect, peace to you too, nice to have a decent fan not a gloating muppet

I think I was at that, and yes, it was abysmal by Taylor (was that the one where Luiz just took Sergio out, making no attempt to play the ball, when he was away?). But the most biased? Brighton recently was the worst refereeing performance against us that I can remember, personally. It was nothing short of disgraceful by Attwell. We're not attaching a lot of importance to it because it had no effect on the season.
That Brighton game was an absolute disgrace, I agree.

I think Taylor against Chelsea is the worst I've seen.

There was a game against Wolves at home, can't remember if it was Mancini or Pellegrini was manager, it was a bit of a foggy day and the referee that day was outrageously bad.

And the Liverpool 2nd leg in the Champions League was just barely believable how bad it was.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.