Champions League Final | Useful Information

Cheers. How long before the card comes through if I order it today mate? I go away on Thursday morning

I set up a Starling account 2 days ago and the card was in my Apple wallet within a few hours fully activated. Physical card came today. You just load it in GBP and they convert it to the Mastercard exchange rate at the time of purchase.

I also have a Revolut card, but you have to convert your money to other currency and I have also had a few times where my card got declined, even with plenty of funds available.
It’s all personal preference though.

Forgot to add, anyone after Lira in UK before heading over, I got 24.4 with eurochange click and collect. You get an increased rate if you go via the money saving expert website. Looked to be near enough the best rate you'll get at the moment in UK, despite the official rate being 26 since the election results inflated it slightly.

Where are people getting their Lira from? Annoyingly the minimum Lira I can find online is 150 GBP. I only want some cash for street vendors etc., who may not take card.

Is it worth taking out of an ATM once over there?
I normally change in Turkey when on holiday there...but for 2 days nah...John Lewis usually have goodish rates

Worth just clarifying something on this point...

If you're paying in a shop/bar/restaurant/wherever with a card, and it gives you the option to pay in local currency or in GBP, always accept the local currency as your bank will give you a much more pure exchange rate.

However...

If you're withdrawing money from an ATM, be wary about accepting their exchange rate.
It shouldn't be too much of an issue if its an ATM in/outside a bank, but if its a random standalone ATM they will likely offer you a shite exchange rate.
It's a bit sneaky because you can reject this exchange rate, but most people tend to think it then rejects the withdrawal so they just accept the crap rate because it's not obvious.

In short...
Paying for goods with a card? Accept local currency rate.
Withdrawing money from an ATM and it offers you the chance to accept/reject their conversion rate? Reject it.

Have posted on another thread but for anyone heading back to the airport from the game to and potentially having a long wait, get yourself into one of these.

They look great for a quick Kip/wash/rest whilst waiting for flights. I’ve booked one for the Sunday night for a couple of hours before I fly. 21 euros. Bargain. The airport will be manic Sunday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.