Champs League Draw

The other fiddle in the CL draw which elicits almost no comment in the media is the TV schedule restrictions. Yesterday City were automatically put in Bayern's group when Atletico Madrid's group was still open to avoid a clash of TV scheduling somewhere. Two years ago the pot 4 teams left were Dortmund, Cluj and FC Copenhagen to be drawn into the groups containing City, United and Chelsea. As soon as Dortmund were drawn they were automatically put into City's group because of TV schedule restrictions, leaving United to get Cluj and Chelsea to face Copenhagen.

taconinja said:
I pondered this a good deal last night, and I suspect that we might actually see a change at this next summit because I'm fairly certain that Bayern Munich et al. are tired of seeing us in the group stage as well. Perhaps not, but it's not in the traditional powers' interest either to keep facing us as a Pot 2 team for the next several years.

Let others take the advantage they do not deserve and we will play the best teams first with the disadvantage of a reduced player quota.

I am sure Bayern would see this advantage as something they would prefer to do without. The pressure is on them to perform and they will certainly have wished for some other team at this stage.

buckshot said:
The crazy thing is that I don't see BM as being any better than City. They're an impressive side but City should absolutely be able to beat them at The Etihad. It won't be easy and I imagine BM will be given every advantage by the officials but City's back four are as good as any team in Europe and their attacking options are elite. You throw in a player like Fernando and City should give them fits.

That being said, it is undoubtedly a joke that constantly finishing fourth and getting and progressing due to an easy draw year after year keeps Arsenal in pot one. City's ambition to not just qualify for CL but to go all out to win four competitions every year should be taken into account and rewarded.
Forget rewarding ambition, reward success!

Juventus won Seria A for the 3rd straight season last year, yet they are still ranked behind Arsenal, and Schalke 04, neither of whom have exactly been successful domestically recently.

taconinja said:
I pondered this a good deal last night, and I suspect that we might actually see a change at this next summit because I'm fairly certain that Bayern Munich et al. are tired of seeing us in the group stage as well. Perhaps not, but it's not in the traditional powers' interest either to keep facing us as a Pot 2 team for the next several years.

I don't think Bayern wouldn't be too concerned about a change in the draw format to seed national champions into pot 1 as they're going to win the Bundesliga every year for the foreseeable future. The clubs who would veto any such change would be Arsenal (no tile in 10 seasons), Real Madrid and/or Barcelona (hedging their bets for the years when they finish 2nd or 3rd), Benfica and/or Porto (for the same reason) and fallen giants like the rags who'd be desperate to avoid being at the bottom of the draw if they ever sneak into the top 4 in the PL.

Matty said:
buckshot said:
The crazy thing is that I don't see BM as being any better than City. They're an impressive side but City should absolutely be able to beat them at The Etihad. It won't be easy and I imagine BM will be given every advantage by the officials but City's back four are as good as any team in Europe and their attacking options are elite. You throw in a player like Fernando and City should give them fits.

That being said, it is undoubtedly a joke that constantly finishing fourth and getting and progressing due to an easy draw year after year keeps Arsenal in pot one. City's ambition to not just qualify for CL but to go all out to win four competitions every year should be taken into account and rewarded.

Juventus won Seria A for the 3rd straight season last year, yet they are still ranked behind Arsenal, and Schalke 04, neither of whom have exactly been successful domestically recently.
Juventus 1st 1st 1st (ranked behind Milan)
BVB 1st 2nd 2nd (ranked behind Schalke)
City 1st 2nd 1st (ranked behind Arsenal)
CSKA 2nd 1st 1st (ranked behind Zenit)

They really need to start taking domestic success into account.

aguero93:20 said:
Matty said:
buckshot said:

Juventus 1st 1st 1st (ranked behind Milan)
BVB 1st 2nd 2nd (ranked behind Schalke)
City 1st 2nd 1st (ranked behind Arsenal)
CSKA 2nd 1st 1st (ranked behind Zenit)

They really need to start taking domestic success into account.

When it's demonstrated so clearly then it's a farce this hasn't been addressed. The issue will be the likes of Arsenal will never sign up for it. The only hope is teams like Bayern are sick of being legitimately successful domestically and in Europe yet being saddled with the likes of City, PSG etc in their group due to the outdated coefficient system and actually put some pressure on UEFA.

I love how it is just accepted that it will take an established team like BM to complain before anything is done. They are so bent that people have just given up and have to hope for some charity from a team that actually "matters".

BTW, how in the name of all that is holy should a team get a higher ranking for going out in the group stage and then making a long run in the Europa League? City draw Barca and lose while Benfica and Porto make hay against Eintracht Frankfurt, AZ and Chomomorets Odesa and get to stay in Pot 1??????

taconinja said:

It shouldn't be discounted. We moan because we have to face Bayern, but they'll be just as pissed as we are. They don't want to see us every season. Imagine if we were in pot 1 and drew Bayern from pot 2!

Everyone wants the easiest ride. The longer we're holding up that gravy train the more pressure will grow to change it.

Good piece by Martin Samuel in Daily Mail today,sorry don`t know how to put it on here.Basically saying Champs of top seven leagues and defending CL Champs should be in Pot One and teams from qualifiers should be in Pot Four.According to SSN, UEFA are well down the road of considering this but of course the clubs will have to agree.

Looks like the draw could be more favourable next year, providing we win the Premier League.

Domestic winners to benefit as UEFA plans change to Champions League seeding system

UEFA is close to changing the seeding system for the group stages of the Champions League, Sky Sports News’ Chief News Reporter Bryan Swanson can reveal.

UEFA has confirmed that, under new proposals, the top eight seeds would comprise of the defending Champions League winners along with, where appropriate, the seven domestic league winners of the top-ranked UEFA nations.

Initial talks over the seeding system took place earlier this year, and the plans were approved by the club competitions committee in May,

UEFA president Michel Platini, and other top officials, hope the new rules will prevent defending league champions seeded lower than other teams from their country.

Chelsea and Arsenal were both in pot one in this month's draw and seeded higher than Premier League holders Manchester City.

The new rules would prevent top-ranked domestic champions from being drawn in the same group.

Had the rules been introduced this season it would have meant Manchester City were placed in pot one.

The plan needs approval from the UEFA Executive Committee before it can be introduced but it is hoped it would take effect from next season.

UEFA's next Executive Committee meeting takes place on September 18 in Nyon.

UEFA has also confirmed to Sky Sports News HQ that it has received no complaints from any club involved in the Champions League this season following Thursday's draw in Monaco.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.