Champs League Draw

Naturally we look at it from City's point of view but if there is any collusion to hand us the worst draw possible is this likely to be condoned by the teams we must play in this group ?

Are the other three teams claiming that our inclusion in their Group is unfair to them ?
If rigging of the draw is actually happening are any of the others claiming unfairness in the rigging process in that they have to be the ones to face City ?

My point is that it is a strong group for all participants, all of whom would have preferred an easier task.

As Samuels rightly says,

"For a body so keen on fairness, the concept goes out of the window whenever the dead hand of UEFA reaches for its little balls. "

Samuels is spot on and I said something similar in a post the same time last year when the draw was made. The rules for the draw, and not the draw itself, are corrupt and only serve to ensure the established European teams have the easiest route to the knockout stages. It is what it is.

However, a few more seasons of success or win the damn thing and we then benefit from the same bent rules.

To be the best, you have to beat the best. I think we are better equipped for Bayern and we got results against CSKA last year. Also, with our squad, we should have enough to get results against Roma. CSKA and Roma are likely to take points off each other.

It won't be easy but I think we have a chance to top the group - all depends on how we set up against Bayern.

For me, a blend of the options suggested on here and those suggested by Samuels is the way forward. Current holders plus the champions of the 7 highest ranked leagues in Pot 1. Then let the co-efficients kick in. That way you would avoid an Arsenal situation, where teams qualify for the group stages year in, year out but don't actually win anything domestically or get much beyond the group stages ending up in Pot 1. There would then be a clear incentive to go and win your domestic league.

I'm not holding my breath....

Imagine Wimbledon if the top 10 seeds all got an extra serve against lower opponents .
That's what would happen if EUFA ran it..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2737164/Champions-League-draw-tedious-bent-travesty-rewards-mediocre-old-guard-instead-domestic-champions.html#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l#comments</a>

Don't believe for one minute that the draw was fixed, there is an agenda against us etc... As others have said, what about Bayern? Shouldn't their fans be going on now about the same agenda thing as us? What I do disagree with though, and always have done, is the whole co-efficient points system. The champions of the top 8 countries, determined by UEFA international rankings, should be seeded in separate groups. At least this way you wont benefit from finishing third or fourth for 6-7 years, scrape through qualifying, then still get put into pot 1! The rest of the teams all then get drawn at random, if you end up playing teams from the same country so what, if a group ends up with Real, Barca, Bayern and City then so what. The current system is there to ensure the top teams stay there.

citytilidie85 said:
Don't believe for one minute that the draw was fixed, there is an agenda against us etc... As others have said, what about Bayern? Shouldn't their fans be going on now about the same agenda thing as us? What I do disagree with though, and always have done, is the whole co-efficient points system. The champions of the top 8 countries, determined by UEFA international rankings, should be seeded in separate groups. At least this way you wont benefit from finishing third or fourth for 6-7 years, scrape through qualifying, then still get put into pot 1! The rest of the teams all then get drawn at random, if you end up playing teams from the same country so what, if a group ends up with Real, Barca, Bayern and City then so what. The current system is there to ensure the top teams stay there.

I agree. I don't for one second believe UEFA are above warming their balls with their grubby little hands but conspiracy theories such as that detract from the warped co-efficient points system which is the main issue. That's what keeps the established 'elite' at the top and which is, as Samuels says in his headline, a "bent travesty".

The system is certainly flawed and will always be weighted to protect the more 'established' clubs. As some have pointed out, we'll eventually benefit from it.

I'm more concerned with a seemingly defeatist attitude towards our draw. I can't see any possibility of us not qualifying. The only question in my mind is if we finish 1st or 2nd in the group. We are easily capable of taking 6 points from CSKA and I would expect a minimum of 4 points against Roma (although we should be aiming for 6). That should leave us in a straight shoot-out with Bayern for top spot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.