Charities

bluemick1

I used to donate to a number of charities, but just reading that the RNLI CEO was being paid £160,000 (May 2019) I am not bothering anymore.
Just looking at the major charities, it seems donations are propping up CEOs pay and pensions

You always think when they say charity at least 95% goes to the charity cause!

Apparent Criteria>

There isn't a specific percentage that a company must pay to a charity to be classified as a charity itself. Instead, the classification of a charity typically depends on meeting certain legal criteria set by government authorities, which can include:

Purpose: The organization must be established for charitable purposes, such as relief of poverty, advancement of education, or other community benefits.

Non-profit Status: Charities usually must operate on a non-profit basis, meaning that any surplus funds are reinvested into the organization's charitable activities rather than distributed to owners or shareholders.

Registration: Many countries require charities to register with a government body to receive tax-exempt status and to be recognized as a charity.

Transparency and Reporting: Charities may be required to provide financial reports and disclose how funds are used, including how much is allocated to charitable activities versus administrative costs.

If you are asking about corporate donations to charities, some companies may have internal policies or industry standards regarding the percentage of profits they donate, but these are not legally mandated. Always check the specific laws and regulations in your jurisdiction for the most accurate information.

I knew of someone who worked for a big childrens charity as CEO. He was one big money. He told me the only reasons he took the job was to hopefully get a knighthood. He didn't get it.
I can remember thinking that's seem odd to me earning big to help himself get a knighthood. I stupidly thought it was because he cared for terminal ill children.

Your choice, of course. And it's hard (impossible) to argue against it. I'm just not sure that penalising the bucket shakers and the volunteers that go out in horrific conditions (I wouldn't have the balls to do it) in those lifeboats is the right way to go about it. "And what is the right way?", you ask. Not really sure, to be honest. Lobby your MP to raise the issue in parliament? I'm sure the charity will say that they have to get high quality people in positions of "power" to organise their fund raising in the most efficient way. And top notch people don't come cheap.

I only give to certain charities, the larger the charity the less chance of them getting any money from me.

Local charities or one off fundme requests usually.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.