Charity auction, signed shirt, how much is it worth?

Hi everyone and thanks again for all your replies.

One of your comments quite rightly states that what we raise, depends on who is in the room on the night. To increase our chances of getting a decent price, we did think about asking for sealed bids, to be opened at the event, but licensing wouldn't allow it. At the end of the day, we are a charity and we need to find £1.8 million this year. So, due to the interest being generated in this shirt and the very helpful comments received in this forum, we have decided that we will probably raise a lot more money if we open up the bidding opportunity to everyone and put it up for auction on Ebay. If I can beg your tolerance for mentioning it in here, we also have a David Beckham No 7 shirt that will be going up for auction too.

I will be creating the listing on Thursday 19th November and it will run for 10 days, finishing on Sunday 29th November. If it's allowed, I will post the link in here, if not, it can be found on our Facebook page. Good luck to anyone who decides to bid for it and thanks once again for all the good advice :)

Michelle x

Oh, and while I'm at it, thanks to my friend who is a member of this site for suggesting I come here for advice and to the owner of the site for helping me to get the post noticed.

Bury Hospice said:
Hi everyone and thanks again for all your replies.

One of your comments quite rightly states that what we raise, depends on who is in the room on the night. To increase our chances of getting a decent price, we did think about asking for sealed bids, to be opened at the event, but licensing wouldn't allow it. At the end of the day, we are a charity and we need to find £1.8 million this year. So, due to the interest being generated in this shirt and the very helpful comments received in this forum, we have decided that we will probably raise a lot more money if we open up the bidding opportunity to everyone and put it up for auction on Ebay. If I can beg your tolerance for mentioning it in here, we also have a David Beckham No 7 shirt that will be going up for auction too.

I will be creating the listing on Thursday 19th November and it will run for 10 days, finishing on Sunday 29th November. If it's allowed, I will post the link in here, if not, it can be found on our Facebook page. Good luck to anyone who decides to bid for it and thanks once again for all the good advice :)

Michelle x

I say go for it and put the link up, I am sure some of us may then put the link on other forums we use to help you reach a wider audience,
Good luck and hope you get good money for em both.

Thank you for your support. If some of the members of this site can get behind this and help us reach a wider audience, that would be absolutely fantastic. Anything that any of you can do to help our patients and their families will be hugely appreciated :)

St. Annes in Heald Green or Little Hulton? I have a personal connection with St. Annes in Heald Green, it's where I grew up and I knew people who went in there. As a hospice, we don't have a connection as such, we are an independent charity receiving a small percentage (16%) of our funding from the NHS. The rest we have to raise ourselves and other hospices are in a similar position. We are one of the smallest hospices in the country and that can make fundraising difficult, because there is quite a concentration of hospices in this area and we can only fundraise on our own 'patch'. We have dealings with other hospices in the local area in the same way that you would have dealings with a neighbour but we are not connected.

To be honest I think you'll do better at the evening rather than eBay. On ebay you'll get people using snipe tactics, which means that they put a bid in which wont be added until the final seconds of the auction. This means that the bids are artificially low for quite sometime and the winner usually gets the item at a much lower price that they would ordinarily because people don't see the bids, and therefore don't bid any more, so the bidding isn't increased to any great degree. In a normal auction everyones bids are seen and you can see it rising. This is particularly relevant for things people want like football shirts.

Unless, of course, you place a reserve on it, and outline that it's also on sale elsewhere. You could also put a high reserve on and then sell to the highest bidder if it doesn't reach the reserve, and you can also offer for sale on the night, so that you have 2 reserves in effect. And if the highest bidder on ebay is more than the highest bidder on the night u can use that as the reserve. If that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense :D

In the meantime, the framer has taken some pics for me, so can anyone decipher any of the names I don't already have?

1 Shay Given
4 Nedum Onuoha
5 Pablo Zabaleta
10 Robinho
14 Santa Cruz
27 Benjani Mwaruwari
29 Kelvin Etuhu
34 Nigel de Jong
40 Vladimir Weiss

2cptkro.jpg

2m9yck.jpg

280k4lj.jpg

2dmdqj9.jpg

2iuucf6.jpg

2zirhpu.jpg

28 Kolo Toure
37 Gunnar Nielsen
12 Stuart Taylor (number is clear, but letters hard to work out?)
2 Micah Richards
16 Sylvinho

I think. (Working top left to bottom right)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.