Cheap players we SHOULD have bought this window

Whilst we still have the same title-winning squad as last year I honestly believe it's foolhardy to believe that simply winning the title once means that we should no longer be as actively trying to strengthen.

A bit of prudence is key, now that we have won two trophies in two years, so the club should no longer accept being 'bullied' into paying a 'City-bonus' on top of a transfer targets fee; however, I think the club may have gone too far which is causing the current stagnancy in the market.

That said, my opinion is that we need at least two quality signings this window in order to strengthen the squad. On top of that if player's like Dzeko and De Jong do leave their transfer fees will also need to be reinvested in the squad.

The areas we should be looking to strengthen first and foremost are obviously centre-back and central midfield. The loss of Yaya and Kolo for the African Cup of Nations (which I remind everyone is on again this year) will hit us hard again, and with likely stronger competition for the league this year could prove costly. Obviously Mancini has indicated his desire to purchase a player who has the ability to cover both these positions, hence our interest in De Rossi and Javi Martinez. I'm in agreement with others in this thread that the signing of Jan Vertonghen would have been ideal and was a horrific oversight on our part for not even registering interest. Two other players that could do a job for us that haven't been mentioned are Sandro and Alex Song though they's likely command greater prices.

Whilst Sahin would be an excellent signing I can't see him winning a place in a side that is already packed with creative talent, and he doesn't really bring the defensive stability required to compete for Barry or Yaya's starting roles. So for me no deal.

Agger would be an excellent purchase if we do end up buying a pure CB, however, Lpool are likely to hold out for more money. I'm suprised no-ones mentioned Thiago Silva so far, whilst he certainly wasn't cheap, he would have been a fantastic addition to the squad.

As far as attacking purchases go, I honestly don't think we need a natural ST. With Balotelli, Dzeko, Aguero and (a happy) Tevez we're set. Each of those players scored en masse last season so there's no need to buy Van Persie. However, if this results in RVP heading to the scum then it'll obviously be a blow.

If I was Mancini I'd be more inclined to look for players that provide a scoring/or creating threat from the wing. Edinson Cavani, people seem to be forgetting, is capable of providing such a threat, unlike Falcao, RVP (who are better natural ST but in my opinion should only be an option if Dzeko leaves). Xherdan Shaqiri was indeed another unfortunate oversight, and would have provided an option for natural width on the right that currently Milner only really provides. I also find our lack of interest in Gaston Ramirez interesting as the current 15m being touted for his signature seems like a fantastic deal for a player with excellent potential and sell-on value.

So to recap:

1. We do need to strengthen
2. We need a CB, CM first and foremost
3. A player who provides width would be nice if we're serious about strengthening
4. If we lose Dzeko, De Jong, Kolarov they MUST be replaced with players of par quality (else we've effectively weakened)

RossiBenayoun said:
Given the massive trouble at Malaga (side-note just gives you an idea of what an incredible job our owners are doing) I think Isco is a real bargain to be had.

20 year old Attacking Midfield/Wideman with bags of talent. A regular is Malaga's successful La Liga campaign last season and will only get better especially if he was playing with the likes of Silva and Aguero.

With a touted price tag of 20m I wouldn't call it a bargain. Quality player though, though he's more comfortable in the hole than on the wing.

Given the time they've been spending with the first team this pre-season I wouldn't be surprised to see Razak and Suarez become more involved in the first team this year.

This would be a positive development and it is the way our plan is moving so people should try to get used to City developing academy players rather than going out spunking cash here there and everywhere. Many of the posts on this thread are evidence that some of us have become spoiled by recent transfer windows.

Harlequin said:
Whilst we still have the same title-winning squad as last year I honestly believe it's foolhardy to believe that simply winning the title once means that we should no longer be as actively trying to strengthen.

A bit of prudence is key, now that we have won two trophies in two years, so the club should no longer accept being 'bullied' into paying a 'City-bonus' on top of a transfer targets fee; however, I think the club may have gone too far which is causing the current stagnancy in the market.

That said, my opinion is that we need at least two quality signings this window in order to strengthen the squad. On top of that if player's like Dzeko and De Jong do leave their transfer fees will also need to be reinvested in the squad.

The areas we should be looking to strengthen first and foremost are obviously centre-back and central midfield. The loss of Yaya and Kolo for the African Cup of Nations (which I remind everyone is on again this year) will hit us hard again, and with likely stronger competition for the league this year could prove costly. Obviously Mancini has indicated his desire to purchase a player who has the ability to cover both these positions, hence our interest in De Rossi and Javi Martinez. I'm in agreement with others in this thread that the signing of Jan Vertonghen would have been ideal and was a horrific oversight on our part for not even registering interest. Two other players that could do a job for us that haven't been mentioned are Sandro and Alex Song though they's likely command greater prices.

Whilst Sahin would be an excellent signing I can't see him winning a place in a side that is already packed with creative talent, and he doesn't really bring the defensive stability required to compete for Barry or Yaya's starting roles. So for me no deal.

Agger would be an excellent purchase if we do end up buying a pure CB, however, Lpool are likely to hold out for more money. I'm suprised no-ones mentioned Thiago Silva so far, whilst he certainly wasn't cheap, he would have been a fantastic addition to the squad.

As far as attacking purchases go, I honestly don't think we need a natural ST. With Balotelli, Dzeko, Aguero and (a happy) Tevez we're set. Each of those players scored en masse last season so there's no need to buy Van Persie. However, if this results in RVP heading to the scum then it'll obviously be a blow.

If I was Mancini I'd be more inclined to look for players that provide a scoring/or creating threat from the wing. Edinson Cavani, people seem to be forgetting, is capable of providing such a threat, unlike Falcao, RVP (who are better natural ST but in my opinion should only be an option if Dzeko leaves). Xherdan Shaqiri was indeed another unfortunate oversight, and would have provided an option for natural width on the right that currently Milner only really provides. I also find our lack of interest in Gaston Ramirez interesting as the current 15m being touted for his signature seems like a fantastic deal for a player with excellent potential and sell-on value.

So to recap:

1. We do need to strengthen
2. We need a CB, CM first and foremost
3. A player who provides width would be nice if we're serious about strengthening
4. If we lose Dzeko, De Jong, Kolarov they MUST be replaced with players of par quality (else we've effectively weakened)

That's because he moved to PSG mate.

That's because he moved to PSG mate.

Exactly, he would have been expensive if we'd gone in for him (since PSG forked out 42m euros); that was my point. But, since we can compete financially with PSG and he's probably in the worlds top five centre-backs currently I'm suprised we weren't interested. He would of been the same calibre of signing that Silva and Aguero were, big money for proven ability.

I quite like Victor Moses think he will get allot better in the coming years. Think Wigan wanted around 11 of Chelsea though.

The only thing I think that is needed is cover at CB....think something will happen before the deadline.

Arsenal is stronger, Abramovich FC is stronger on paper but its anyone's guess what kind of chaos will ensue there once the season starts, Spurs are fragile IMO and don't represent a serious threat to us.

The scum can never be underestimated.

In other words it will take frickin hard work to repeat, its neither guaranteed nor hopeless.

Still wouldn't trade our problems for those of any of the other clubs.

Fuck knows who we should of bought on the cheap, unless Roberto Mancini is taking the piss or has lost the plot then I will put my trust in him and the transfer comittee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.