Ched Evans - serious injury

G-Star Medium Rare said:
Lancet Fluke said:
the blue panther said:
Apparently - on 5 live this morning - there is a 90,000 strong petition in Sheffield saying he shouldn't be allowed to play - I presume for Sheffield United.

Personally, I say no.

I know that football clubs are generally very short sighted, but, I would be extremely surprised if any club were to sign a convicted rapist. I just cannot see it happening.

If clubs choose not to employ him, that is fine, that is their decision. The question is should he be allowed to be a professional footballer? Should clubs be told they cannot take him on because of what he has done?

There would be no legal reason to prevent a club taking him on. But, in the UK, clubs of whatever sport to a greater or lessor extent mirror the values of the communities in which they sit ( with the obvious exception of the Rags --- and Wasps who bizzarly, have just moved to Coventry ffs!).So Sheffield has spoken, and for what its worth I agree with them

I am going to be very honest. If Ched Evans was fucking brilliant, I wouldn't have a huge problem with him playing for City again. I know that won't be a popular opinion but he has served his time and I just don't see the point in punishing him for the rest of his life. Obviously he's fucking bobbins so it doesn't affect City.

Blue Hefner said:
For club, yes but not for the naional team.

If I was convicted of rape I would not be able to work in my field again because I work with vunerable adults. That's not the case of Evans but I think representing your country following a serious criminal conviction shouldn't be allowed but I've no objection with him playing club football
So on that basis, if Lionel Messi is convicted of tax fraud, a serious offence (in some people's eyes, such as mine, as I'm a former hit man for the Revenue), he shouldn't play for Argentina again?

without a dream said:
I wouldn't want him at City even if he was good enough. Clubs don't seem to have a problem employing the likes of Marlon King and Lee Hughes so I imagine he'll find a club pretty easily.
To be fair to Lee Hughes, he acted massively irresponsibly and accidentally killed someone. That's a bit different from the likes of Marlon King and Ched Evans who committed premeditated crimes. I'm shocked Marlon King in particular got work as frequently as 2013, since he had 14 separate convictions including one for sexual assault. Interestingly his last club was Sheffield United, and I wonder if there were similar protests against him. I can't find any mention of any.

The sad thing is that if someone's really good, they'll always find someone willing to take them on. It's easy to say "we don't want him" when talking about an average player like Evans, but imagine if it was Gareth Bale or Luis Suarez. There's not a chance that clubs would have principles then. Look at the way people fawned over Mike Tyson after his release, even using the fact that he's a convicted rapist in the promotional material. Hell, he was even granted permission to fight in the UK, which no other convicted rapist would've got. Apparently even the government couldn't care less if there's a payday in it for them.

crazyg said:
Blue Hefner said:

If I was convicted of rape I would not be able to work in my field again because I work with vunerable adults. That's not the case of Evans but I think representing your country following a serious criminal conviction shouldn't be allowed but I've no objection with him playing club football
So on that basis, if Lionel Messi is convicted of tax fraud, a serious offence (in some people's eyes, such as mine, as I'm a former hit man for the Revenue), he shouldn't play for Argentina again?

When I say serious, I mean crimes such as violence, murder/attempted murder, rape, manslaugher etc.

However if was guilty for knowingly defrauding the Argentinian tax office for millions it would be interesting to know if the public would be happy having him represent them

Am I the only person who feels a bit uncomfortable about the Ched Evans conviction? I know I wasn't in court and didn't hear every scrap of evidence so I'm not making any assertions as such but from the things I read it really did seem like there was at the very least reasonable doubt and I was genuinely shocked when he was found guilty. Do I need to get my tin hat?

Blue Hefner said:
crazyg said:
Blue Hefner said:

When I say serious, I mean crimes such as violence, murder/attempted murder, rape, manslaugher etc.

However if was guilty for knowingly defrauding the Argentinian tax office for millions it would be interesting to know if the public would be happy having him represent them
I know what you mean, but it appears that "white collar crime" doesn't seem to get the same sense of outrage that violent crime does, unless it's because of some scam involving (generally) elderly people losing their life savings. Barlow Clowes springs immediately to mind. The only difference is that the "victim" in tax fraud is you and me at the end of the day, but that's OK because nobody likes to pay tax.
And it's the Spanish tax authorities he's up against.

Yes he should be allowed to play again. I do however believe Ched is innocent, if I didn't I wouldn't feel comfortable with him playing.

Lancet Fluke said:
Am I the only person who feels a bit uncomfortable about the Ched Evans conviction? I know I wasn't in court and didn't hear every scrap of evidence so I'm not making any assertions as such but from the things I read it really did seem like there was at the very least reasonable doubt and I was genuinely shocked when he was found guilty. Do I need to get my tin hat?

difficult for me to comment as I don't have all the facts.

Was the case not that she was in effect comatose (assume drink/drugs) so was in no condition to consent to sex by the time ched took his turn, whereas she had agreed to sleep with his mate? (or am I making that up?)

Why are we asking this question?

There is no law banning people from resuming employment in most trades after a criminal conviction.

Nobody can ban him from playing so it doesn't really matter what anyone thinks.

Declining to employ someone like Evans is not a ban, just unemployment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.