Chelsea (a) post-match thread

If I am going to blame anyone for the game, I will blame Pep first for :

1- Starting Rodri + Gundogan together even though their record together is clearly bad and not working
2- Not starting Jesus
3- Not using Sane
Do you REALLY think it would've been a good idea to start our only fit striker when we've got a more important cup match in 3 days' time and then the Liverpool game 4 days after that? Really? The cup is the priority. And if he'd have started and helped us beat Chelsea, but was either rested or forced to play against Liverpool despite fatigue and we lost that game, everyone would be complaining that we let them win it at the Etihad... The circumstances are just shit, it is what it is. Gabby can't play every game, and in the grand scheme of things this game did not matter. Also Sane looked poor as fuck against Burnely, he's hardly kicked a ball in a year and you think he would've been up to par tonight???

Fair enough, the midfield selection was shit but there is no way in hell David could start 3 games in 8 days and Foden was injured so genuinely what else could he have done since the lack of forward options (Jesus/Sane for the reasons I just listed + Aguero injury) meant Bernardo couldn't play in midfield??? That leaves no one other than the 3 midfielders who started.

Last edited:
What's this rebuilding people are talking about we just need a centre back and maybe sell Mendy and get a new left back everywhere else in my opinion is fine.

What's this rebuilding people are talking about we just need a centre back and maybe sell Mendy and get a new left back everywhere else in my opinion is fine.

Who will buy him at a fair price in 2020?

He was a bust. Time to admit the loss.

If we fix the midfield, it'll fix the defence. That's something we should well know by now after our recent history.

You cannot place a glacier/s there and expect to not leak goals. Doesn't happen.
Yup. People can harp about our defence but it's always been relatively poor. Otamendi, Zinchenko, Delph, Stones were regular defensive fixtures in a record setting side. Rodri is simply the wrong profile in terms of what he offers. His pressing game is aggressive but not in a productive manner; he often gets caught out whereas Fernandinho tends to jockey to buy time and leave us less exposed. Moreover, Rodri has zero recovery pace make him a complete liability when his wayward pressing style fails to win us the ball back. It's been a disaster of a signing and one that baffles me.

I’m surprised by the level of animosity with the performance, tbh.

Thought we dominated the first half. Mendy brain fart gifts the goal. KDB’s free kick was magnificent. Fast break was absolutely ridiculous and, had Sterling shown some poise....or given the ball to Jesus wide open in his right...the game would have turned in its head. Instead, we miss yet another chance to score and the game turns against us.

Some Keystone Cops defending, but we all know we are not a team for defending, but I thought we played some wonderful football.

It is clearly time to refresh and renew the squad, with both quality coming in and Academy players stepping up, and I hope Pep commits to an extension, but fear he won’t.

PL season will peter out from here, with us only needing a few points to stay in the Top 4, so it should provide an excellent opportunity to rotate the playing XI, keep players fit and fresh for the FA Cup and, later, the CL. No reason we can’t finish on a high, and it would be the height of ragginess to whine about only being the second best team in the PL after winning it twice in the last two seasons.

I’m generally not a glass fall full guy, but with the football I have seen for the last few years, is winning 8 out of 9 domestic trophies during that period, while also playing some of the best football ever seen in England, my glass is far from half empty and, at times, runneth over.

Mendy has now played more games this season than in the previous two seasons COMBINED, so he is essentially a new player here. He needs to up his quality and understanding of the way we play. I have no idea why he didn’t leave the ball when Gundogan waved him off and his lame attempt to tackle with his wrong leg is EXACTLY how he did his knee the last time! WTF?!

Those of you blaming Gundogan are barking mad. He is a very good player and he did very well tonight in a modified midfield to allow us to have a false nine rotation while not losing control of the midfield. Maybe a few of you should take off the dark tinted glasses and realize he has been doing a better job than quite a few others.

I’ll leave it there, because it really doesn’t need too much analysis. We could have EASILY won the game while we were dominating, but didn’t...yet again. Therein lies a primary problem, with a soft center to our defence being the other. I trust these issues will be addressed, esp with our wage bill going down and our transfer kitty full.

The future is BLUE!
I think I watched the same game as you did. Same story as most of the other points dropped this season I'm afraid.

For a team that can’t defend we miss too many sitters
Too many players scared to do anything other than give the ball to kdb and let him do it for them
How often does a full back in our team score or assist
Never
For a team set up with 11 players expected to both defend and attack we miss far too many clear cut chances but we are geared to defend by attacking not the other way around. Ironically Mendy put in 3 great low crosses tonight and no City player came within yards of them. Do you seriously think a team with our record would achieve what it has with players "scared to do anything other than give the ball to KDB", how many games has he missed in the past 3 seasons and how many titles have we won in the past 3 seasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.