Chelsea (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

At the moment, we have 3 of the front five who seem to have trouble holding on to the ball when it comes to them at times...Erling, Alvarez and Doku.
Please Pep, stop playing Akanji in that forward role, he's no Beckenbaur, he can barely even properly defend at times.
First half was poor, we were not learning from their breaks. 2nd half was actually really good from us.
Some big saves from Ederson, Rodri comes up with another big goal, Erling misses another couple of sitters, Alvarez is not in form and needs a rest.
Our corners are genuinely awful. Chelsea played really well, I wish they'd been as good at Anfield a couple of weeks ago.
How Caicedo stayed on the pitch is beyond me. I feel Pep played into their hands, their strength is their midfield and we needed an extra, more defensively minded body in there in the 1st half to cope with their breaks.
Rodri's unbeaten run continues with that superb strike....what a player.

Again, from my point of view there is a tactical problem that exacerbates our sluggish play: Too many defenders touching the ball for long periods of time.

This cannot continue. We are an average team when Dias, Stones, Kyle, Akanji, Rico and Ake dominate 75% of our possession. This is simply a bad formula.

We need to start of by scratching the "Stones role." It was a cute twist that worked for the last part of last season. But it's effectiveness had began to wane by the final 3 games of last season including the CL finals.

We need to play midfielders with vision and quick thinking in midfield. Not defenders who are timid on the ball and who's first instinct is to make the safest pass ( which often means a pass back to another defender).

So no more stones. Perhaps we should expand the "Ake Role" for Centerbacks. Meaning the RCB plays as a RB/CB and push Walker up the field as a speed winger and bring the RW into the middle. Be that Bernado, Foden or Nunes. This way once we get the ball pushed up in the middle, it is ab actual attacking or skillful player that's in possession and not a defender..

2. Tell Dias he should stop dilly dallying on the ball. We know he ( or Stones when he plays the middle CB) will get the most space on the ball but this is no excuse to mistake yourself for an attacking mid looking for the best penetration pass.

The best penetration pass is almost always the earliest to an attacking player. The sooner you can get it to them, the better.

50% of our possession should reside with Kevin, Rodri, Jack, Bernado, Phil, Oscar, Nunes, Doku and Kova. These are the players who need to be on the ball early in the transition from defense to offense to make things happen

Finally, Either Erling or Julian. Not both!!!
Unless we are chasing the game late, we should not be playing both.

Starting both creates a clunky attacking 3rd and slows down our ability to get into rhythm.

In the last 25 minutes when the game is stretched or tense, sure! But to start the game? Almost never!

Ok... That's it. Someone get this to Pep pronto.

B

Last edited:
We conceded 14 times in those 6 days, you don't often win conceding at that level no matter how much possession you might have.
we conceded silly goals in injury time to Palace , Spuds and Chelsea the Wolves game was a joke they had one shot on target and scored two goals , you can dress it up how you want , we were the better team on every occasion but we had lapses of concentration . Not sure how you can criticise a group of players that has just won five trophies and is still in the hunt for another five.
Let's see how many pots we have won in June and if we have won f*ck all , you can have a proper good moan about it ,but throwing your toys out of the pram in February is a bit premature with Pep in charge.

we conceded silly goals in injury time to Palace , Spuds and Chelsea the Wolves game was a joke they had one shot on target and scored two goals , you can dress it up how you want , we were the better team on every occasion but we had lapses of concentration . Not sure how you can criticise a group of players that has just won five trophies and is still in the hunt for another five.
Let's see how many pots we have won in June and if we have won f*ck all , you can have a proper good moan about it ,but throwing your toys out of the pram in February is a bit premature with Pep in charge.
Sorry but I had to switch off at h/t ,5 mins in Chelsea need to/ must do blah blah blah Constant fouls going unpunished, how that caicedo stayed on the pitch is beyond me Corners are just a waste of time , the Viking not on it, it was just all so predictable but that carragher cnut does it for me , I just can’t watch us with him there Then I come on here to check what happened 2 nd half an it’s still the same Horrible comms an horrible reffing Sick of it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.