Chelsea (H) - Sat 15th Jan, 12:30 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been for a while. Before his goal in Cup Final last season against Spurs he should have seen red and I don't trust his mentality in the biggest games.

Just my own personal opinion, he cost us Champions League games against Spurs and Lyon and now isn't half the defender he was before his big injury.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, but he's way behind Stones and Dias as a partnership for me.
Spot on.He was poor at the Euro's too.

Spot on.He was poor at the Euro's too.

Him and Garcia, a partnership made in treacle.

The higher up Laporte is, the bigger the issue, for both us and Spain.

I've seen others suggest Eddie was at fault for the miscommunication at Arsenal, but Laporte sees him coming a mile off and it's like it happens in slow motion, still choosing to head the ball back when Eddie has already closed the distance between them.

His biggest weapons are from set pieces and the superb crossfield out to our right flank, but we don't seem to be doing that pass much these days?

Last edited:
I reckon we're very lucky that the Palace game is the only one he's cost us, there have been a lot of bad passes or times getting caught in possession and the Aké clearance vs Arsenal is only really the tip of the iceberg.

Crap is harsh maybe but I feel much better with Stones in his place.
For the Arsenal incident Ederson should have either stayed on his line or given Laporte a shout.

Referee: Craig Pawson . Assistants: Lee Betts, Richard West. Fourth official: Jonathan Moss. VAR: Darren England. Assistant VAR: Sian Massey-Ellis
Dont expect anything to be given or overturned from Var as have the Var bottler England (one who couldn't make a decision last night) and one who never seems to make a decision

I have been for a while. Before his goal in Cup Final last season against Spurs he should have seen red and I don't trust his mentality in the biggest games.

Just my own personal opinion, he cost us Champions League games against Spurs and Lyon and now isn't half the defender he was before his big injury.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, but he's way behind Stones and Dias as a partnership for me.

Going by your opinions of our players over the last 6 months: Laporte's been crap, Cancelo can't defend, Rodri isn't good enough... You must be wondering why we have the best defence in the league.

Laporte may not have been great, OK, but "crap"??? We are lucky to have 3 top CBs, especially given that Stones has struggled with injuries this season.

For the Arsenal incident Ederson should have either stayed on his line or given Laporte a shout.

I think that's true. The keeper always has some responsibility in those situations. That doesn't change the fact the Días next to a fully fit Stones is far and away the most natural and strongest partnership at the back. Laporte is third-choice for me, and, even if I still put him fourth, I think some of Ake's mistakes can be coached out of him. I'm not at all sure that that's true of Laporte.

Going by your opinions of our players over the last 6 months: Laporte's been crap, Cancelo can't defend, Rodri isn't good enough... You must be wondering why we have the best defence in the league.

Laporte may not have been great, OK, but "crap"??? We are lucky to have 3 top CBs, especially given that Stones has struggled with injuries this season.

Cancelo really can't defend, it's very clear he can't. He makes up for it because of his excellent attacking attributes, which allows him to join up in midfield.

Pep doesn't even play him in defence.

And Rodri is more than good enough when he has legs around him to enable him to do what he does best, which is what Bernardo and Foden energy have afforded him in the system personnel upgrade this season.

My point being, they are all good players made even better by a system.

In Dias' case, he is a much better player when Stones is next to him.

Laporte has not been great as you concede, I just used a less polite term in crap.

Cancelo really can't defend, it's very clear he can't. He makes up for it because of his excellent attacking attributes, which allows him to join up in midfield.

Pep doesn't even play him in defence.

And Rodri is more than good enough when he has legs around him to enable him to do what he does best, which is what Bernardo and Foden energy have afforded him in the system personnel upgrade this season.

My point being, they are all good players made even better by a system.

In Dias' case, he is a much better player when Stones is next to him.

Laporte has not been great as you concede, I just used a less polite term in crap.

Cancelo's OK on the front foot, it's why he makes a lot of eye-catching tackles, he has the freedom to aggressively step out and meet people in midfield, but as soon as the ball is in behind him (which is quite often due to his positioning) he's atrocious and like you say, Pep avoids it at all costs.

I would take the Zinchenko-Dias-Stones-Walker backline oevey day of the week over any other. When Zinchenko is next to Dias his defending goes up a level, and he has the mentality for it, just lacks a bit of pace to be able to cover wide and tuck into midfield.

But when Cancelo is delivering goals and assists at the rate he has been, he has to play really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.