Chelsea Post Match

I'm thinking the reason MP doesnt like Kolarov taking corners (especially against an opponent like Chelsea) is that it gives the opposition more of a platform for a quick counter attack. The pace at which Aleks whips them in would be perfect for speed merchants like Hazard and Schurrle to spring out on the counter after a clearance and leave us on the back foot.

That being said, after seeing Mangala gallop down the park like Red Rum a couple of times yesterday, having some genuine pace in the back line might affect Pelle's thinking somewhat as we move forward.

Only just got round to posting on here. Thought we dominated the game yesterday and Chelsea never really got out of their half.

Mangala was my MOTM, I've never seen a defender who could be up for a corner and be back in his defensive position before the other team got the ball forward on the rebound. Not seen anything yet really but considering the opposition he was absolutely SOLID. As Sky said, him and Kompany absolutely bullied Costa and apart from that shot on the post, he was given nothing.

I didn't think Dean had too bad a game but he was just far too card happy in the first half. Zabs was basically sent off for 2 fouls that on another day wouldn't of even been yellows, pretty ridiculous really. If that happened every game there would only be a few players left on each team. The penalty we should of had was a little sketchy, you either get them or you don't.

As for our performance, I thought we gave a great account of ourselves and really should of been 3-0 by half time. Of major concern is our corners, we had 15/16 yesterday and barely any got past the 1st man, awful! Thought SIlva did okay but had a very difficult game, Milner and Mangala just edged as our best players. Kompany also had a fantastic game but we expect that really. Aguero was marked out the game really and didn't have the space but did okay. Dzeko was brilliant and linked play together well, just a pity about his finishing sometimes! Yaya did much better but still isn't running games like he usually does. The best news yesterday was the defensive performance which was outstanding and is mostly thanks to an excellent back 2 and great protection from Fernandinho.

Anyway, Zabs didn't deserve the first yellow and hence the 2nd but both were fouls and he got yellows for both so there isn't much we could do. Thought that ruined our momentum and it resulted in Chelsea scoring. They never deserved anything out of that game though, just a pity we didn't take advantage of all those set pieces. I'll take a point but felt we really did deserve more but it was mostly our own poor set pieces and poor finishing that meant we didn't get anything more.

Pastor Kidney said:

Presumably it was down to Pellegrini's less than perfect grasp of English, but describing Chelsea as "a small team", is on the face of it pretty disrespectful. One of the best parts about our manager is that he is a classy bloke and does not normally stoop to such petty insults and mind games. I hope it was a language issue and not his real intent.

Zabaletta was foolish making the challenge that he did for the second yellow, that was a yellow every day of the week, the only reason Costa got the yellow was because he reacted.

However, foolish or not Zabaletta is still a world class player and is a superb leader in our team!

I think MP was being sarcastic when he said"small team" .What he meant was a big club with all the money spent and performed like a small club mentality .
No biggie

I saw nothing about Chelsea to frighten me, and nothing to convince me that they are nailed on favourites to lift that trophy next May, as some of the media seem to think. We bullied them and bossed them. True, we couldn't break through — fourteen corners, fourteen ffs! — they were their usual organised selves. It would have been a travesty if they'd taken the three points.
Enough has probably been said about that back line, but just salivate about this for a second : Fernando the octopus comes back to do the tidying up in front of Zab/Kompany/Mangala and one of either Kolarov or Clichy (take your pick, according to the type of game and opposition we're playing). Now… into the bargain, (allow me to dream), Joe recovers the form of 2011-12. That is fucking Fort Knox!
In terms of bare results, this looks like a poorish past week. 2 points from 3 matches, there's no getting round it. But sorry, I just can't see it like that, because in terms of performances we have been better, overall, than two of our direct rivals, and at the ground of one of the very best teams in the world in the last ten years, although they were significantly better, we were not overrun. And it's obvious that we're still not at our best. Can't be satisfied with this past week in terms of bare results, but there are definitely reasons to be cheerful. When we get into that fourth gear…

Another typically example of the press stirring shit up and thick fans believing the headlines. Firstly, he wasn't even talking about Chelsea at the time, he was talking about us. He said "It's important for us to play as a big team and not as a small team trying to get a draw because you have just 10 players." In what way is that calling Chelsea a small team? Or did he give a different interview? Because that was the BBC interview, and they were the ones running the story.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.