Chelsea Post Match

Chippy_boy said:
cleavers said:
Damocles said:
In regards to the title, I do think that not enough people are considering the quality of opposition each of us has played so early into the season (and after a World Cup year).

We have already played Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in the league with a trip to possibly the best team in the world currently sandwiched in between.

Chelsea have played Leicester, Burnley and a struggling Everton.

I think our start could have obviously been better but those writing us off this earlier after our start should at least wait for a couple of months. I'd be surprised if we lost another game before Xmas, it's plain sailing all the way to January now and the next time around our signings should have bedded in, the fitness levels will be back and we might even have grabbed another striker.
Excellent post Dam.

It shows how well we played, that despite not winning this thread has only managed 34 pages.

Best team performance in quite a long time for me, its never easy playing chelsea, but when they have an extra man in defence, its doubly difficult, that they ended up with 2 more than us, and we still deserved the win is very pleasing, not a single player of ours yesterday had a below par game, and Vinny, Mangala, Milner, and Dzeko first half, were all top class.

My only real worry was that again we didn't really test the opposition keeper enough.

Agree with all of that.

Can we send Silva on a corner-taking course? Or just get Kolorov to take them on the left and Milner on the right. Dave's corners have been wank for as long as anyone can remember and yesterday because we had so many, it was plain for all to see. No point in trying to win corners if we offer zero threat when taking them.
The last two goals we've conceded in the league have come from our own corners. If we'd left everyone back or taken them properly we could have 3 points more. Although we did score one at Arsenal but Kolarov (despite being obviously our best crosser, probably the best in the country) never takes them.

Chippy_boy said:
cleavers said:
Damocles said:
In regards to the title, I do think that not enough people are considering the quality of opposition each of us has played so early into the season (and after a World Cup year).

We have already played Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in the league with a trip to possibly the best team in the world currently sandwiched in between.

Chelsea have played Leicester, Burnley and a struggling Everton.

I think our start could have obviously been better but those writing us off this earlier after our start should at least wait for a couple of months. I'd be surprised if we lost another game before Xmas, it's plain sailing all the way to January now and the next time around our signings should have bedded in, the fitness levels will be back and we might even have grabbed another striker.
Excellent post Dam.

It shows how well we played, that despite not winning this thread has only managed 34 pages.

Best team performance in quite a long time for me, its never easy playing chelsea, but when they have an extra man in defence, its doubly difficult, that they ended up with 2 more than us, and we still deserved the win is very pleasing, not a single player of ours yesterday had a below par game, and Vinny, Mangala, Milner, and Dzeko first half, were all top class.

My only real worry was that again we didn't really test the opposition keeper enough.

Agree with all of that.

Can we send Silva on a corner-taking course? Or just get Kolorov to take them on the left and Milner on the right. Dave's corners have been wank for as long as anyone can remember and yesterday because we had so many, it was plain for all to see. No point in trying to win corners if we offer zero threat when taking them.
Corner taking course lolzzz...along with that some body should bloody teach david on how to pull the trigger while in front of goal and stop fluffing chances,may be lampard can help him out on that..;)

Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Yes, it will be between us and Chelsea. I believe yesterday proved we are a better team than them, so I believe we will win the league. What I reslly agree with is that we haven't had "the rub" yet, but we will. I'm expecting us to go on a serious winning run, and soon, and that will pile the pressure on them. We need them to progress in the cups and Champions League or that will give them an advantage.

They will lose games as you say. There is a chasm of difference between our centre half pairing and theirs, for a start.

Chelsea achieved their main objective yesterday, not losing, but unless they had a very cunning plan to lull us into a false sense of security, they must have gone away from the Etihad knowing that they are not the best team in the league. The question now is: will that notion settle into their subconscious?

That's what I think: Sunday was a moral victory for us. There was only ever one team going to win that game 11 v 11. And even with 10 we could have nicked it. They know we are better than them now. A Chelsea victory would have had the opposite effect.

Unfortunately Mourinho isn't stupid enough to go toe-to-toe with us playing football, he noticed what happened to Arsenal last season when that happened and he didn't fancy being bum raped.

Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Yes, it will be between us and Chelsea. I believe yesterday proved we are a better team than them, so I believe we will win the league. What I reslly agree with is that we haven't had "the rub" yet, but we will. I'm expecting us to go on a serious winning run, and soon, and that will pile the pressure on them. We need them to progress in the cups and Champions League or that will give them an advantage.

They will lose games as you say. There is a chasm of difference between our centre half pairing and theirs, for a start.

Chelsea achieved their main objective yesterday, not losing, but unless they had a very cunning plan to lull us into a false sense of security, they must have gone away from the Etihad knowing that they are not the best team in the league. The question now is: will that notion settle into their subconscious?

That's what I think: Sunday was a moral victory for us. There was only ever one team going to win that game 11 v 11. And even with 10 we could have nicked it. They know we are better than them now. A Chelsea victory would have had the opposite effect.

It's a curious thing, momentum in football.

Just imagine things had played out in a slightly different way on Sunday. Imagine that we go 1-0 up, then Zaba is sent off, then they equalise. We would have felt massively deflated, they would have been buoyed up considerably. As it is, it is a draw that feels a little like a victory. Plus, we are now coming out of a very tough opening set of fixtures and going into a series of very winnable games.

By contrast, they were held in the CL by an ordinary Schalke team, they have turned a huge three points on Sunday into a moral victory for the opposition, and their next six league games include Arsenal at home, Palace away (they lost there last season), rags away (interesting tactical dilemma for Mourinho, that one) and Liverpool away - with some difficult CL fixtures thrown in. Their dream start to the season might start to turn a little sour sooner than people think.

An interesting sideshow to all that is that Diego Costa cannot, at least for the time being, play twice in a week. So Mourinho is going to have to do without their talisman for a fair few games. For instance, he can play away at palace in the league on the Saturday, or at home in the CL on the Tuesday, but not both. Which is tricky, because Chelsea need him for both. He rested him on Wednesday with Sunday in mind and they came unstuck on both occasions.

pikku said:
Chippy_boy said:
cleavers said:
Excellent post Dam.

Agree with all of that.

Corner taking course lolzzz...along with that some body should bloody teach david on how to pull the trigger while in front of goal and stop fluffing chances,may be lampard can help him out on that..;)

Yes, "How to kick a football towards the goal: Beginners Guide", should be his next course after the "Footballing Basics: Corner Taking" course.

Silva is a genius, but his dead-ball play (including that ridiculous penalty he took once) leave a lot to be desired.

And yes, it would be nice if we didn't keep getting caught on the break from our own corners!

Chris in London said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

It's a curious thing, momentum in football.

Just imagine things had played out in a slightly different way on Sunday. Imagine that we go 1-0 up, then Zaba is sent off, then they equalise. We would have felt massively deflated, they would have been buoyed up considerably. As it is, it is a draw that feels a little like a victory. Plus, we are now coming out of a very tough opening set of fixtures and going into a series of very winnable games.

By contrast, they were held in the CL by an ordinary Schalke team, they have turned a huge three points on Sunday into a moral victory for the opposition, and their next six league games include Arsenal at home, Palace away (they lost there last season), rags away (interesting tactical dilemma for Mourinho, that one) and Liverpool away - with some difficult CL fixtures thrown in. Their dream start to the season might start to turn a little sour sooner than people think.

An interesting sideshow to all that is that Diego Costa cannot, at least for the time being, play twice in a week. So Mourinho is going to have to do without their talisman for a fair few games. For instance, he can play away at palace in the league on the Saturday, or at home in the CL on the Tuesday, but not both. Which is tricky, because Chelsea need him for both. He rested him on Wednesday with Sunday in mind and they came unstuck on both occasions.

That's the way i see it Chris

His management of Costa could be the difference between them or us winning the league, if he over plays him and his hammy goes that's where their points can drop. That's the weakness in their squad, the lack of cover in that position, losing Cahill would also be a big kick in the bollocks.

Pics and comments on the Chelsea game are now online at
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rtfract.com/citsep14.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rtfract.com/citsep14.htm</a>
sorry for delay - computer problem!!

Danamy said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

Unfortunately Mourinho isn't stupid enough to go toe-to-toe with us playing football, he noticed what happened to Arsenal last season when that happened and he didn't fancy being bum raped.
Even after City went down to 10 men after 66 minutes? If Mourinho is such a great tactician, why didn't he respond?

I think Dzeko and Aguero have to improve their partnership. If they play together they have to decide which one makes the runs across the defenders and which one hangs back. Too many times yesterday Zaba, Milner and Kolarov put the ball across and both of them were around the penalty spot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.