Chelsea Thread 16/17

The point is: even though Chelsea have had an award winning run, they are still only one bad week away from City, who have been having a 'crisis' & talk of the manager being out of his depth.

They could be 14 points ahead of City in 6 weeks time, or 7 points behind us or we could both be 8 points behind Liverpool who might then lose 3 on the trot themselves.

For all the talk of it being 'over' it won't be, for a long time.

That's true, was just explaining why we were just 7 points clear after so many wins.

It isn't over though, that much we can agree on, 6-7 points at this stage is not close to being enough to label anyone champions.

It's like I said, how do you quantify better? This is not something you get to decide sorry as much as you want to tell me that it's just about the points, that's your own personal opinion on the matter which I disagree with(it's not the be all end all, the current Champions are Leicester City need I remind you?) and many a City fan will disagree with you too. I say the purer attacking football IS better any day of the week. You say the old defensive win at all costs as long as you get the points you are happy? Fair enough you stick with that outlook if you want. I'm just glad there are fans who are smart enough to see what we are trying to achieve.

The team who wins the league is the best team that season mate. Over 38 games, home and away, versus all the differing styles, in all different weather conditions, dealing with injuries, suspensions, rough patches. We're all in the same boat. Whoever comes out on top is the best side that season.
You're suggesting
purer attacking football is 'better' - but this completely forgets the importance of the defensive aspect of the game, which is equally as important when assessing 'best'.

More possession not representative of us being the more dominant force in the match?(even taking that stat on its own 10 percent is not insignificant, it at least says if either team edged it, it was us) How about when we add more passes, more possession/passes in the final 3rd, more passing accuracy, 9 corners to their 2(showing just how much more of our play was around their box)... do you get the picture? We were ahead in almost every stat(this is where you say apart from goals but save that gem for another time).

Of course I get the picture but the most important 'stat' in any game of football is the scoreline. They won 3-1. Whether we edged possession, had more touches in their box or whatever is irrelevant. They took their chances we didn't, they did the 2 most important bits of the game (scoring and not conceding) better than we did.

Stats aside we had the better chances and should have been out of sight as said by everybody. Yes even Sly Sports said it post match, so I don't get this stance that we weren't the better side at all from you(are you trying to appear more impartial to add weight to your arguments?). They mainly threatened on the counter(they didn't open us up the way we did them) bar their equalizer which I said at the time was just a good cross by Fabregas(although Costa did use the top of his arm to control it which Aguero never gets away with but whatever I'll let them have that one), nice bit of play. We on the other hand created clear cut chances, I'll just give you two of the best ones to refresh your memory and put this argument to bed for good: De Bruyne hitting the bar(this counts as off target btw which shows picking and choosing your stats does no good on their own I'm adding context which as equally important), Aguero having the keeper beat but not spotting the defender getting back on the line when he should have buried it? We were opening them up even though they were sitting back and waiting to counter most of the match (that's without mentioning the 2 penalties we could have had) = all over them for... ok maybe I should have said 70% since we lost our way towards the end of the match(happier with that?).

So in your humble opinion you don't think if we had gone 2-0 up we would have closed that game out and possibly added a third since we would have been able to actually have some defenders back in our own half and possibly do some countering of our own?

We may have but if my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle. Do you get the picture?

Also yes we must be watching different games... especially if you think Chelsea are the pinnacle of what the Premiere League has to offer this season. I'm not saying they are not good(they are a good side with good players clearly, but do they play the best attacking football? Not for me), like I said they are absolutely lethal on the counter which is good to watch but I honestly think we play the better football.

I'd much rather be top of the pile by 7 with better GD a 10 game winning streak and be 'lethal on the counter' than 3rd, very 'nice' in possession, being completely unable to defend and looking mental playing silly passes around our own 6 yard box mate yeah.

I'd much rather be top of the pile by 7 with better GD a 10 game winning streak and be 'lethal on the counter' than 3rd, very 'nice' in possession, being completely unable to defend and looking mental playing silly passes around our own 6 yard box mate yeah.
"Mate yeah mate"... lets agree to disagree I already said don't bother focusing on just the scoreline we were the better team and we lost that's it(neutrals don't agree with you either, you just sound like the chavs did after the game). You are entitled to your misguided opinions anyway but I'll say again, I don't agree with you!

Slow our long term progress for the sake of one season by winning ugly and throwing the plan out of the window? No thanks, there was always going to be a transition period, you just don't get it and I think it's embarrassing how quickly some have let themselves become so impatient or worse still entitled like the fans they used to deride for those very traits not so long ago. We are going to play out from the back and teams are going to try and press us into making mistakes whether you like it or not(and I'm so happy the people in your camp are not making the decisions). I know some can't help the gasping and screaming("oh my goodness!!") at a few backpasses but the sooner people get used to it and stop flapping the sooner the uneasy atmosphere it creates stops affecting the players from the stands.

Last edited:
"Mate yeah mate"... lets agree to disagree I already said don't bother focusing on just the scoreline we were the better team and we lost that's it(neutrals don't agree with you either, you just sound like the chavs did after the game). You are entitled to your misguided opinions anyway but I'll say again, I don't agree with you!

Slow our long term progress for the sake of one season by winning ugly and throwing the plan out of the window? No thanks, there was always going to be a transition period, you just don't get it and I think it's embarrassing how quickly some have let themselves become so impatient or worse still entitled like the fans they used to deride for those very traits not so long ago. We are going to play out from the back and teams are going to try and press us into making mistakes whether you like it or not. I know some can't help the gasping and screaming("oh my goodness!!") at a few backpasses but the sooner people get used to it and stop flapping the sooner the uneasy atmosphere it creates stops affecting the players from the stands.
Winning ugly? have you even watched us to say such nonsense? get off your high horse, tipi tapi football is not the only way of playing, pretty much all of the neutrals prefer watching Chelsea than they do watching City. Dont get me wrong, you guys are a good team, but we are much more fun to watch, because we play at a much higher tempo, and unlike what you think, we actually attack alot and press pretty high and agressively, hence us scoring one less goal than the "beautiful" city and still having a much better goal difference and defense.

Winning ugly? have you even watched us to say such nonsense? get off your high horse, tipi tapi football is not the only way of playing, pretty much all of the neutrals prefer watching Chelsea than they do watching City. Dont get me wrong, you guys are a good team, but we are much more fun to watch, because we play at a much higher tempo, and unlike what you think, we actually attack alot and press pretty high and agressively, hence us scoring one less goal than the "beautiful" city and still having a much better goal difference and defense.
Bollocks they do... have we got a chav invasion on here recently? Chelsea stumbled upon something that works there's no long term plan and it can easily come unstuck IMO(I agree you're favourites but you don't have the CL... we are not going to stop the Leicester comparison because it holds a lot of weight). You may prefer that style of play but the rest of the world doesn't, there isn't a team in the Prem that could have beat Barca the way we beat them, we try and play the same way no matter who the opposition that's what the best teams have... a football identity. As for goals, that's just the thing, if we were half as clinical as Chelsea have been we'd have smashed them 4-0 that day, our chances to goals ratio is much worse we are creating a lot more great chances than people are giving credit for(quickly forgotten when a people look back on a scoreline).

We have a long term plan, we are in a period of transition and may need to replace a few players before you see Pep's style implemented fully but we'll get there and I think we're set for a much stronger second half of the season because they are all slowly getting more used to it so don't write us off either.

Last edited:
Your'e the worst cheats in the Premier League when it comes to gamesmanship and play-acting. Even worse than the rags it pains me to say.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.