Chelsea Thread (2015-16)

I can't believe how spectacularly, Chelsea has crashed and burned. (Which is just fine.) Mourinho really is one of those managers who puts fear in a player, but loses the squad once they get used to the "act." Has there been a similar case of someone who lost the plot, following league winning season?

I really don't think it is entirely Jose losing the plot. Even when he "lost it" at Madrid, they kept on winning games because their squad was good. Chelsea's problems have more to do with the downright poor quality of the players they have. Even when they were winning last season, it was usually by fine margins - they never blew teams away. Their team is one that looks decent on paper but when you look at each player individually you realize they are pretty mediocre. The defense has no composure, they don't know how to play out of the back, so they don't get too many opportunities to counter attack, the midfield and attacking midfield lack creativity and technical ability, and Costa is out of form probably because he is overweight. He is visibly slower this year. But you definitely can't be a good footballing team when your 6 defensive players are all donkeys on the ball, and then don't have too much creativity or technical ability in the attacking players.

Most annoyingly people laud Willian but what does he do? He's not a very creative player like Silva or Ozil, he doesn't beat players like Hazard does, never assists, and only scores goals from free kicks. So his only attribute is defensive ability.

I really don't think it is entirely Jose losing the plot. Even when he "lost it" at Madrid, they kept on winning games because their squad was good. Chelsea's problems have more to do with the downright poor quality of the players they have. Even when they were winning last season, it was usually by fine margins - they never blew teams away. Their team is one that looks decent on paper but when you look at each player individually you realize they are pretty mediocre. The defense has no composure, they don't know how to play out of the back, so they don't get too many opportunities to counter attack, the midfield and attacking midfield lack creativity and technical ability, and Costa is out of form probably because he is overweight. He is visibly slower this year. But you definitely can't be a good footballing team when your 6 defensive players are all donkeys on the ball, and then don't have too much creativity or technical ability in the attacking players.

Most annoyingly people laud Willian but what does he do? He's not a very creative player like Silva or Ozil, he doesn't beat players like Hazard does, never assists, and only scores goals from free kicks. So his only attribute is defensive ability.

Isn't scoring from free-kicks an attribute?

Isn't scoring from free-kicks an attribute?

If you're ok with sacrificing attacking fluency from a side that can't score goals I guess, then yeah.

My approach would be to try to score goals through open play, as opposed to only through free kicks. Drawing a foul and then getting an otherwise shit player to score a free kick doesn't show that you are a good team, and you won't consistently win games that way.

It's an average one if it's the only thing you're offering. May as well get one of those YouTube tricksters if you're playing someone purely for their ability to hit a target from range.

A lot of Chelseas players have been elite premier league players for years. One bad run doesn't diminish what they have already done.

A lot of Chelseas players have been elite premier league players for years. One bad run doesn't diminish what they have already done.

Well some of the ones you are talking about are clearly past it (Ivanovic, Terry), and maybe Hazard and Fabregas you could say have been exceptional and still probably have that quality. But who else?

Nobody was saying this last year. Before the season practically everyone on here (including myself) had Chelsea down for first or second spot. What was your position then?

Well some of the ones you are talking about are clearly past it (Ivanovic, Terry), and maybe Hazard and Fabregas you could say have been exceptional and still probably have that quality. But who else?

I'd say the majority of their squad. I've been really impressed with the Brazilian trio of Willian, Oscar and Ramires. Mikel has been very solid, Cahil and Azpilicueta have been elite premier league defenders.

Some people on here talk such crap sometimes.

If you're ok with sacrificing attacking fluency from a side that can't score goals I guess, then yeah.

My approach would be to try to score goals through open play, as opposed to only through free kicks. Drawing a foul and then getting an otherwise shit player to score a free kick doesn't show that you are a good team, and you won't consistently win games that way.
i understand what your saying Mr Hoddle,but i see him as a fernandinho type player,in which case he does his job and adds a few goals,which is a bonus.
i'm guessing Fabregas is unhappy at the chelsea style of play, so he doesn't start games,which may mean that willian has to do his job too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.