Chelsea Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we deserved to win the cup seminal and the CL final. We were the better team, in my opinion. We didn't outclass you in those games though, you're right. You outclassed us today. It's the best I've seen you play in a while.
Yeah, you definitely deserved it. You took advantage of Peps tactical decisions, but today he played our strongest team and it worked, surprise surprise.

I've never seen Jorginho and Kovačić struggle against a press like that before. I think Tuchel probably anticipated they would find it easier (if not "easy') to break the press and find an out-ball for Werner and Lukaku (and possibly Alonso). As it turned out, they almost never had the opportunity to do it thanks to the ferocity of City's press and the excellence of Rodri and the back four mopping up almost everything that did come forward from Chelsea
Yep. He gambled on us not being at our best, plus the formation was asking for trouble. We pack the midfield with players from all over the pitch with the exception of the wingers. Chelsea left their midfield relatively empty.

Pep was also smart to pick the best pressers. We have 6 very elite pressing players in midfield and attack and 5 of them started. Our fullbacks are strong pressers too so Chelsea's lack of outball left them swamped.

Hopefully other teams start to be a bit bolder with Chelsea now (although that's a cliché I've heard used about City tbh in the past)

Yep. He gambled on us not being at our best, plus the formation was asking for trouble. We pack the midfield with players from all over the pitch with the exception of the wingers. Chelsea left their midfield relatively empty.

Pep was also smart to pick the best pressers. We have 6 very elite pressing players in midfield and attack and 5 of them started. Our fullbacks are strong pressers too so Chelsea's lack of outball left them swamped.

Hopefully other teams start to be a bit bolder with Chelsea now (although that's a cliché I've heard used about City tbh in the past)

Not very many teams in the world can press us into oblivion and then also be elite at keeping the ball and creating chances, so I think we'll be fine. Most teams who try that against us will get picked apart because they just aren't as good as us.

Last edited:
City are still the best team in England IMO , outplayed Chelski today . Super Jack was good but should have scored. I thought we (villa) game them a good game at their place , did not deserve to lose 3 nil.

Not very teams in the world can press us into oblivion and then also be elite at keeping the ball and creating chances, so I think we'll be fine. Most teams who try that against us will get picked apart because they just aren't as good as us.
Yeah definitely, that's why before I posted I was careful to include the addendum about people saying it about City as realistically there aren't many teams that can swamp Chelsea as you've said. Even on your worst days you tend to at least look strong in patches.

Much like City you're far likelier to lose points by having off days or being unlucky than you are due to being outplayed.

Plus you're fortunate to have Tuchel here. I don't think City would have played this well without the 3 losses beforehand. A bit like with Klopp's Liverpool, it's taken some time but eventually Pep adapted. I think Tuchel's got this quality too, so the next game between us at The Etihad will be a spicy one.

They got taught a footballing lesson today, we had close to our best side out (gundogan would be in it) played our best style against strong opposition which is our high intensity pressing game and dominated them to the point it was almost cruel. We showed we are by far the best side in the country. However, they don't have to play us every week. They only have to play us once more his season.

Who else can you see in the league doing that to them? They've played Liverpool away with 10 men and handled that fine, United aren't going to dominate them they'll play even more counter attacking than what Chelsea could. Its like when we used to struggle with liverpools press in Peps early years, it wasn't a huge problem because they were the only side capable of doing it to us, and we're the only side capable of keeping chelsea that quiet and not allowing them a shot target.

Against lesser sides, they're built to be ruthlessly efficient both in defence and attack. They have a very solid foundation and have multiple ways to score goals in games. They'll do very well despite this reality check for them and I still think they'll be our biggest threat.

In a fair league it would be us and Chelsea fighting for the title.

German George Graham, like Pep will learn and adapt from his defeat.

They got taught a footballing lesson today, we had close to our best side out (gundogan would be in it) played our best style against strong opposition which is our high intensity pressing game and dominated them to the point it was almost cruel. We showed we are by far the best side in the country. However, they don't have to play us every week. They only have to play us once more his season.

Who else can you see in the league doing that to them? They've played Liverpool away with 10 men and handled that fine, United aren't going to dominate them they'll play even more counter attacking than what Chelsea could. Its like when we used to struggle with liverpools press in Peps early years, it wasn't a huge problem because they were the only side capable of doing it to us, and we're the only side capable of keeping chelsea that quiet and not allowing them a shot target.

Against lesser sides, they're built to be ruthlessly efficient both in defence and attack. They have a very solid foundation and have multiple ways to score goals in games. They'll do very well despite this reality check for them and I still think they'll be our biggest threat.

I agree with literally everything you've said.

We have to accept this one and take it on the chin. We now have a run of 6 very winnable games, so hopefully we can go into flat track bully mode.

Tuchel is one of those coaches who learns and adapts, so hopefully he will have learnt a lot and the game at the Etihad will be very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.