Chelsea Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that wish we had done everything necessary to keep Palmer at City, I think it is also important to remember that there is no guarantee—even if he was given the same initial opportunity to play a lot of minutes for us—that Palmer would have been as productive with us as he has been with Chelsea.

Teams plays against Chelsea completely differently to the way they play against us. More often than not their opposition see them as vulnerable or inferior, and so tend to take a much more open, aggressive approach in their matches with Chelsea. That almost never happens with us.

Once more, our setup and tactics are completely different, made more starkly different by the low block and quick counter tactics of our opposition, placing a greater emphasis on control and defensive work rate when not in possession (neither of which are necessarily among Palmer’s strengths). That’s not even getting in to the fact that he was never going to be the main man if he stayed with us—as he has partly become at Chelsea—which from what I have been told was an issue that contributed to him leaving. It also means he wasn’t going to have the same freedom (and leeway in his non-attacking responsibilities) in his play with us as he does at Chelsea.

Couple all of that with practically every team we face treating the match as their cup final, and it is simply a drastically different experience (with a completely different set of expectations) playing for us.

And it should also be pointed out that although he has had very good individual performances (and his stats are good), he has played for them when they have had poor results, as well, and Chelsea currently sit 11th, a few points about Fulham and Bournemouth. Their dysfunction is obviously not down to him, but it is also not entirely independent of him (as he has deficiencies that they haven’t been able to adequately cover at times.

There is nothing to say Palmer would have done as well if he had stayed with us.

Correct and it's great he is doing well, just because if another premier club come in for one of our youth players we will now get a few million more

He's a knobhead for going there - he had a warning when those twats racially abused him when we played at Stamford Bridge a few seasons ago

To be fair it was an absolute shocker again.

He had an awful game finishing wise. I still get pissed off at the three absolute sitters he missed in the first half against the rags, when we could have won the title. I'm in the south stand and the shock when the net didn't bulge was seismic. Everybody was in total disbelief.

He's a knobhead for going there - he had a warning when those twats racially abused him when we played at Stamford Bridge a few seasons ago

It was a couple of guys that shouted racial abuse at him and they all received lifetime bans from Chelsea. Why would Sterling view the club any differently than any other club, when he unfortunately received racist abuse at other grounds too, including from a City fan who was punished by the courts and banned for life by City? It’s just the Chelsea one was the most high profile one.

Yesterday was an all time stinker by him. He was awful. I don’t generally agree with booing the team or the manager or individual players but it happens. You can say it’s toxic and it is, but I’m sure Sterling himself understands fans will get on your back if you’re having as bad a game as he was.

He was clapped off though when he finally got subbed off, so clearly the ill feeling was just in the moment and not a lasting one.

Generally on Chelsea though, that was another rather disjointed performance. Sanchez is an awful keeper. He has that Kepa thing where he makes everyone around him nervous. Petrovic is several tiers better than him.

I think the time has come for Sterling to be relegated to the bench. If all we're ever going to get from him is inconsistent performances with inconsistent productivity, then I'd much rather watch Mudryk get the minutes he needs to develop than watch a 29 year old Sterling produce nothing of note 8 out of 10 games. I can accept wild inconsistency from Mudryk, Madueke and these guys because they're young and for the future. Sterling was signed for the here and now.

I think we have it in us to climb up to the 7th. That would still be a god awful season and honestly a sackable outcome but much better than 12th from last season. Poch needs to be careful. He said when he walked in that player selection would be a meritocracy but so far he has proven a little too loyal to certain players.

Generally on Chelsea though, that was another rather disjointed performance. Sanchez is an awful keeper. He has that Kepa thing where he makes everyone around him nervous. Petrovic is several tiers better than him.

I think the time has come for Sterling to be relegated to the bench. If all we're ever going to get from him is inconsistent performances with inconsistent productivity, then I'd much rather watch Mudryk get the minutes he needs to develop than watch a 29 year old Sterling produce nothing of note 8 out of 10 games. I can accept wild inconsistency from Mudryk, Madueke and these guys because they're young and for the future. Sterling was signed for the here and now.

I think we have it in us to climb up to the 7th. That would still be a god awful season and honestly a sackable outcome but much better than 12th from last season. Poch needs to be careful. He said when he walked in that player selection would be a meritocracy but so far he has proven a little too loyal to certain players.
What’s happened to Lavia? What’s his injury? Caicedo looks very poor at times and Gallagher just tries hard. You defo need more quality in CM. I do rate that Enzo though and think he’d be mustard for City next to Rodri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.