chickens

i want to but i have a lot of things i need to do before that, to be honest owning chickens is right down the pecking order.<br /><br />-- Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:26 pm --<br /><br />
Rascal said:
corky1970 said:
Rascal said:
You're henpecked

dont be a cock

Im top of the pecking order

bastard! beat me to it ;)

Use to live in saddleworth on the tops a few years ago,had a bit of land with the neighbour,anyway he got some chickens they didn't lay for a while,
him and is mrs & kids were out every morning to see if any had arrived....

After they had layed a few I went to the pen took the 3 out that were there brought them back to mine boiled them then put them back,next day the daft **** was knocking on my door telling me this story of these 3 hard boiled eggs..

Every fucker was laughing at him in the village the daft ****!

I got my wife three hens for her birthday last year. Went to fetch the hens from a local farm and surprised her on the day.
Bought a coup off ebay.
We dont have a huge garden but I built a simple pen out of timber and chicken wire.
Chickens are quite destructive and stripped the grass down to bare earth in a couple of days.

The hens were about 14 weeks when we got them and we were told they would start laying at around 16 weeks old (point of lay) . True to form they soon started laying and during the summer we were getting 3 lovely fresh eggs per day.
I even sat for a good half hour one day and witnessed an egg being layed. Fascinating.

Problems. Red spider mite is a pest that affects hens. Nasty little buggers that make your skin itch if you get them on you.

The hens are still laying now. Egg production is supposed to drop off when the days are shorter so we are quite lucky.

The poor things have had a tough time over the past couple of days with the heavy rain and high wind but it has settled down again.

All in all a very satisfying hobby/pet and the eggs are far better than shop bought ones.

corky1970 said:
The cookie monster said:
Use to live in saddleworth on the tops a few years ago,had a bit of land with the neighbour,anyway he got some chickens they didn't lay for a while,
him and is mrs & kids were out every morning to see if any had arrived....

After they had layed a few I went to the pen took the 3 out that were there brought them back to mine boiled them then put them back,next day the daft **** was knocking on my door telling me this story of these 3 hard boiled eggs..

Every fucker was laughing at him in the village the daft ****!

whats the weather like up there in oldham, especially at the top ? is it very windy ?

Oh fuck me I hope it's not windy at oldham,I'm driving past there in a couple of hours do you think I should go a different way Corky if it's very very very windy especially at the top of Oldham.

we've got 3, used to have two hens and a bantam hen. The bantam went cluck and started sitting all the time so got some fertalized eggs from the local farmer.

One actually hatched but sadly soon after the bantam died, had to take the chick in the house and rear under incubator light we've got for the tortoises. she's fully grown now though and expect her to start laying when it warms up.

Had more eggs than we could deal with in the summer though!

we have them the eggs are much nicer but they are just outside my bedroom every single morning i can hear them clucking away and they do start stinking after a while i for one now hate the fuckers

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.