City’s best performances between 1990 and 2008 (pre takeover)?

Sure its been mentioned but the Liverpool home match in 1991. Great atmosphere, two David White goals, and a bit of ‘shot over the line controversy’. Funny, as a 15 year old I was quite obsessed with attendances and so was delighted with the crowd of 37 thousand plus, funny we get criticised for that now.

Also first two home matches of Brian Horton season 93/94? We beat West Ham and Everton 3-0 and 4-0. Beagrie was full of tricks with Walsh tormenting the centre halfs with his movement.
Loved that season , the kippax was being done up so I had a season ticket on back row of the North Stand, just as it curved toward the main stand, the atmosphere in there that season was brilliant, the games vs West Ham / Everton & Spurs standout

Loved that season , the kippax was being done up so I had a season ticket on back row of the North Stand, just as it curved toward the main stand, the atmosphere in there that season was brilliant, the games vs West Ham / Everton & Spurs standout

I got booted into the Platt Lane stand before donning the plastic macs when the kippax reopened. Yes some proper football matches. As we were not that great, teams took us on, so it was end to end, white knuckle ride football.

Was the other club Huddersfield? I remember they had a decent side and then there was a fire sale. Think Steve Bruce was the boss.

Yes, it was Huddersfield. They looked like a real threat for automatic promotion before Christmas and, though they dropped off a bit, they still should have had no problem making the play-offs. Then they sold Stewart, missed the play-offs and, after a disastrous start to the new season, Bruce was sacked.

A lot of it was fuelled by their then manager George Burley, who seemed to have a weird hatred of City and Joe Royle. He was forever running his mouth in the press about us supposedly being a lucky team who played hoofball.
He doesn’t appear to have been employed anywhere since 2012, the year we won our first Premier League title, which has a nice symmetry to it

The choice of successor also made me smile after Burley spent a lot of money following his initial good season in the PL at Ipswich, got them relegated with a poor squad and was fired the following season with them going nowhere in the league and financially screwed. They needed a firefighter who could forge a decent team from little in the way of resources, and turned to one Joe Royle to sort out Burley's mess.

The choice of successor also made me smile after Burley spent a lot of money following his initial good season in the PL at Ipswich, got them relegated with a poor squad and was fired the following season with them going nowhere in the league and financially screwed. They needed a firefighter who could forge a decent team from little in the way of resources, and turned to one Joe Royle to sort out Burley's mess.
Haha yes, forgot that!

Royle's first game was in the UEFA cup for Ipswich, I was a bit envious, however we followed suit the season after qualifying via the same FPL method.

Loved reading this thread thus far. For those of us of a certain vintage, these were the games that kept us believing that it would turn one day!

I loved the whole Keegan promotion season and wanted us to get someone sent off early in most games as we invariably ended up playing teams off the park.

As someone said earlier, the home game against Newcastle the following season was when I thought we’d “got it”. Power and pace was the name of the game at the time and we had it all that day.

Another false dawn ocourse but what a performance that was.

Man, your mind plays tricks

Or maybe I was an early leaver even back then :-D
I can’t remember what day it is tomorrow but I’m fairly good on my peak City years! That game was the bollocks, White and Vonk in front of thousands of Blues going ballistic, Motson was the commentator on MOTD. Les Ferdinand missing a fucking sitter as it rolled across the 6 yard box.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.