City 1968 v City 2023

I reckon this group of players are unlikely to finish 13th next season.
Good point, to be fair.

And the '68 team didn't "terrify Europe" like big Mal predicted, knocked out it the first round. :)

The meat pies and Bovril was better back in those days though, and it was only 1s/6d to get in, unless your uncle was working the turnstiles.

I just don't think you compare the eras. It's a different game. City were a very fit team by the standards of 1968. It was something that was boasted about. Colin Bell was a natural athlete who barely broke a sweat, but most of the rest were on fags, bitter and steaks. I doubt (if they were all say 25 again) they would last 30 minutes with the present team. And that's no disrespect because I loved that 1968 team to bits. Their names are engraved on my heart in a way that modern players just aren't.

It's a bit like the Dixie Dean/Haaland debate, No disrespect for Dixie, I'm sure he was a great, great player. But he wouldn't get half the goals up against modern defences and VAR. Not a chance. Different game.

The one 'advantage' the old players had was that they could kick and be kicked all day long. Bookings were rare, and sending-offs even rarer. That's where you have to admire George Best, rag or not, because he lived in an era when the full-back could kick you into row Z and no one thought anything of it. People like Heslop and Doyle - and we can name a hundred others, from Bill Foulkes to Norman Hunter, would see red every week under present rules.

(Having said all that, what about Jack Grealish? His legs must be black and blue for about 45 weeks a year with all the kicking he gets. Maybe the game's not as protective as I tend to think.)

As per thread title'

The City team that thrashed Real Madrid v The wonderful 1968 All English championship winning side,

Dowd/Mulhearn, Book, Pardoe, Doyle, Big George Heslop, Oakes, Summerbee, Bell, Lee, Young, Coleman, sub Connor.

90 minutes.

What would the score be?

Not fair really as the side from 68 are either all dead or using zimmer frames

All of these players from both eras are athletes who would have thrived in whatever era they played in because they have the skill and ability to do so. They also have similar abilities to adapt and develop to changing tactics and systems.

Doyle and Oakes could have played the same way John Stones now does - because that is what they did - Oakes was a playmaking Defensive Midfielder - Doyle moved from playing midfield to being part of a double centre back partnership. Pardoe was the ultimate utility player - inverted full back would have been a doddle for him. Book (like Walker) made great use of his speed and experience to match any winger who took him on. Sumemerbee, Lee and Young could play anywhere across the modern front three and all of them would have thrived in those roles.

Similarly, modern players could have played in a 1968 team - their fitness levels would have carried them over the heavy pitch and normally playing 90 minutes. Haaland would be a scary centre forward in any era, in Silva I see the tenacious half back, KdB we liken to Colin Bell because they are both box-to box players, Grealish would be an Inside left in the mould of Young and so on - good players are good players whatever era they play in

Old school laws where you can quite literally kick the fuck out of the opposition, or modern laws?

Think whichever laws applied would have a massive impact on the result
So madrids tactics in the first leg?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.