City 1993 - only just over a generation ago

The final straw for me with Swales came when he refused to provide the funds to sign Trevor Sinclair from Blackpool. As well as being a fine player tricky Trev was a Manc and life long blue. We did eventually sign him from West Ham but by then his best years were behind him. When I consider all the over priced cross Swales had signed denying us this superb player was unforgivable.

The final straw for me with Swales came when he refused to provide the funds to sign Trevor Sinclair from Blackpool. As well as being a fine player tricky Trev was a Manc and life long blue. We did eventually sign him from West Ham but by then his best years were behind him. When I consider all the over priced cross Swales had signed denying us this superb player was unforgivable.
Think that was the summer of 1993 just before all the shenanigans with Reid, Maddock, and the takeover. We were also hot favourites to sign Geoff Thomas who, despite THAT miss for England, was highly regarded at the time. Being a lifelong blue as well, just like Sinclair was, it really did seem that that particular signing was in the bag and surely not even Swales could fuck that deal up. I remember getting home from work one evening and eagerly checking teletext for news of his signing, only to find out he’d signed for Wolves who weren’t even in the fucking Premier League at the time!

Think that was the summer of 1993 just before all the shenanigans with Reid, Maddock, and the takeover. We were also hot favourites to sign Geoff Thomas who, despite THAT miss for England, was highly regarded at the time. Being a lifelong blue as well, just like Sinclair was, it really did seem that that particular signing was in the bag and surely not even Swales could fuck that deal up. I remember getting home from work one evening and eagerly checking teletext for news of his signing, only to find out he’d signed for Wolves who weren’t even in the fucking Premier League at the time!

I remember the updates as he set off up the M6 and the excitement of us signing an England player, only to find he had veered off the M6 to the Black Country.

How time and tide move on... 30 years ago we were just at the start of Peter Reid's reign, Curle and Hendry (that storm-trooper of a centre half!) were our defense, Quinn and Clive Allen up front - or Adrian Heath! That fan going on about us needing £20 million! LOL, you wouldn't get KdB's right leg for that now! And the enthusiasm for Franny Lee, understandable from where we were then with Swales etc but if ever there was a lesson in being careful what you wish for...

Sounds daft but part of me misses the simplicity of those days, yes the chaos and little expectation, the change of manager early December, Tony Book taking over 1st team affairs - again! - and Liverpool then turning up to trounce us 5-0... but you turned up, paid your fiver to stand on the Kippax, read the programme, took in the noise, had a good shout, cheered as our recent £200,000 striker (our 'cloth cut' accordingly!) scored a tap-in, grumbled at the inevitable last minute equalizer from which ever lower-mid-table side were were struggling to beat, then went home and life moved on till next week when we were away to Arsenal and the ever-to-be-expected 0-4 thrashing!

Happy days!!

how scary was it watching manchester city both on and off the field back then ? the premier league football was new and money was flying around. united walked most years to the title and city well you knew we was doomed. the board and swales fucked the club long before forward with franny army took hold and the truth is Franny Lee knew fuck all about running a football club and manchester city ?

but the promise of big money investment fooled the fans and the money was not really there after swales sold to him
and worst was coming with alan ball and the miss use of probably the best player in the world at the time in georgi-kinkladze

if georgi-kinkladze played for united or liverpool you can bet he would have gone down in the history books as the best player in the premier league years. looking back now and when that old bloke said i just want to see city win something again before i die. brought tears to my eyes knowing what was coming

even today when city win something i always think about my old mates back then who have past over never seeing this glory period and i say that's for you as well up there

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.