City & adidas

Citizen Green

Afternoon all,

I know City wore adidas training wear in the 70's as they were sponsored by Umbro who had the right to distrubute their gear in the UK at that time, even weariing trefoil hoodies as the players entered the Wembley pitch in the '76 League Cup Final. I was wondering though... Have we ever come close to a full sponsorship with them does anyone know?

I found some interesting design concepts online of what we could of ended up with had we...

1995-96:
1697637428451.png

1989-92:
1697637465635.png
2010's:
1697637500869.png

Think it looks fine personally, the puma kits have been awful bar 1 so they couldn't really do much worse.
I think most of our puma kits have been very good, this seasons home is superb, as is the away, last seasons home was an all time classic, all about opinions tho pal ;)

I think most of our puma kits have been very good, this seasons home is superb, as is the away, last seasons home was an all time classic, all about opinions tho pal ;)
There's no justifying this shit though...

0_JS242871488.jpg

That alone should have seen the designer never work again.

Have we EVER come close? Can't vouch for that as both City and Adidas have been around for a long time.

I do know however, having worked there, that when Reebok did the City kits and Adidas bought Reebok, there was no appetite to transition City into Adidas like they did other clubs (Liverpool for example).

When we were taken over in 2008 and our trajectory changed completely, it was mooted but Adidas' historical relationship with another club not far away and expectation that they would always be on top (and City wouldn't - not in my lifetime eh?) meant the marketing gurus at Adidas didn't see City as a worthwhile investment. They instead chose to wait until Nike dropped the rags contract, and massively overpaid for that on a ten year deal and were involved in getting Pogba signed from Juventus as well. Seeing the rags and Pogba plastered all over the workplace wasn't pleasant, I can assure you of that.

Given the two sides have recently extended the kit deal, City and Adidas won't be going near each other for the foreseeable future.

Like the look of the maroon one and the white one
I'd love to see us sign up with Adidas. The kit they did for New York City a couple of years back was brilliant.

Screenshot_20231018_163906_eBay.jpg Those two you mention, though; they're a bit "busy" for me. There's too much going on with them. Less can be more. I'd love to see us resurrect the away (third?) kit in the Sven season, the one with the sky blue mini sash on the shoulder. That with the three stripes in black down the sleeves (or, even better, with no stripes) would be the canine's testes.

I'd love to see us sign up with Adidas. The kit they did for New York City a couple of years back was brilliant.

View attachment 96115 Those two you mention, though; they're a bit "busy" for me. There's too much going on with them. Less can be more. I'd love to see us resurrect the away (third?) kit in the Sven season, the one with the sky blue mini sash on the shoulder. That with the three stripes in black down the sleeves (or, even better, with no stripes) would be the canine's testes.
Yeah know what mean with to much going on but I'm a sucker for a maroon kit

View attachment 96115 Those two you mention, though; they're a bit "busy" for me. There's too much going on with them. Less can be more. I'd love to see us resurrect the away (third?) kit in the Sven season, the one with the sky blue mini sash on the shoulder. That with the three stripes in black down the sleeves (or, even better, with no stripes) would be the canine's testes.
That NYC kit was a belter. The kit deal in the MLS is different however, as the league sign a contract with a supplier, rather than each team finding their own kit supplier. So Adidas make the kits for all MLS teams due to the centralised contract.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.