city and the day you were born

Colin Bell scored on the day I came into this world. Drew with Southampton 1-1 at Maine Road in the week before Christmas. We finished a poor 15th by the end of the season but won it the following year -yippeee!!!!!!

Season had just finished (May 1970), and we were a mediocre 10th ... only 2 years after winning the title!!

F*ck me, the final table 2 years later (71/72 season) shows that we were 4th, but finished one point behind the champions, Derby. Now that must have been an exciting (if ultimately disappointing) season. [See below.]

1 Derby County 58
2 Leeds United 57
3 Liverpool 57
4 Manchester City 57

And for the first time since, we are now realistic prospects for the top 4 .... at least!! I just can't believe it - COME ON!!!

Danny Hoekman said:
Colin Bell scored on the day I came into this world. Drew with Southampton 1-1 at Maine Road in the week before Christmas. We finished a poor 15th by the end of the season but won it the following year -yippeee!!!!!!
That Southampton game was the first match I ever went to - I've still got the programme in the spare room somewhere!

The day I was born we were 18th in the old first division, and the scum were top. That's how it finished that season, too - boo!

10th March 1971

1 Leeds United
2 Arsenal
3 Chelsea
4 Wolverhampton Wndrs
5 Liverpool
6 Southampton
7 Tottenham Hotspur
8 Manchester City
9 Stoke City
10 Everton
11 Crystal Palace
12 Coventry City
13 Manchester United
14 Derby County
15 West Bromwich Albion
16 Newcastle United
17 Huddersfield Town
18 Ipswich Town
19 Nottingham Forest
20 West Ham United
21 Burnley
22 Blackpool

What a great thingy!

I'm not saying what year it was on the basis that it might be incriminating. Suffice to say that City were tenth in the top flight and ultimately finished 12th. Ipswich and Burnley were the Top 2; City were as good as Arsenal, better than the rags and little Chelsea were relegated. Liverpool were not even in the top flight.

11th November 1974 ........ We were only top of the bloody league and the Scum weren't even in the 1st division!!

Gotta be happy with that! :-)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1985-1986/table/1985-08-24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.statto.com/football/stats/en ... 1985-08-24</a>

19th. its an oman!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.