City and West Ham fans

He did and then downstairs 2 of West Ham’s main mem absolutely battered a city lad - sat him down on the floor and just repeatedly punch him. Was brutal.
I remember a few West Ham getting a good kicking on Claremont rd and I mean a kicking .

I recall a match at Maine Road towards the end of the 1969-70 season. City had won the away match 4-0 earlier in the season. City we’re having a great season and ended up winning the League Cup and the European Cup Winners Cup that season. But West Ham destroyed City 5-1 that day in a superb display of football.

We were later discussing the match in the City Social Club. A friend called Dave was explaining how much he had enjoyed the match. That was despite him being thrown out of the ground by the police for ‘disruptive behaviour’. In those days if you were ejected from the ground, you could pay another three shillings and sixpence at the turnstiles and get back in a few minutes later.

I've only been to watch City play at West Ham once. It would have been around 2015 at their new ground, and I remember there was a fence erected seperating us all the way from Stratford station to the stadium.

It seemed a bit odd and unnecessary, but it was there, and after the game which City won comfortably, I was walking back to Stratford station, and there was a point where the road or path we were walking on was the same height as the path on the other side of the fence, and it was obvious that it would be quicker to climb over the fence to get to the station rather than carry on being corralled as we were.

Anyway, there was a group of good, solid, Cor Blimy cockneys there helping us over and they couldn't have been friendlier. They were sound as a pound.

Back in the mid to late 70’s I was posted to Ilford territorial barracks to cover the Fireman’s Strike.
On our days off I used to drink in the local pubs. Met many a WHU fan and they showed an interest in City and I was complimentary about them and some the players that had served each club.
Whenever we got called out on a job the locals would bring us teas cakes, sandwiches and when they found out we were from the Navy - out came the rum. Good job we were not breathalzed on the way back!

Long before 2012, wasn't it. Early 90s,when they got relegated at Maine Road (younger BMers, ask your dads), and they brought thousands down from the north east that day.

Or is my memory finally giving up the battle?
94 ish? They brought 12000. They had loads in our end too, including one sat next to me. They did nothing but support their team and were amazing.
Liked them ever since

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.