City and West Ham fans

Similar backgrounds. A very hardcore working class club and traditionally overshadowed by their neighbours. I’d love to see West Ham kick on but they’re abysmally run.
There's a good few Mancs linked to their neighbourhoods by marriage and family too. On my street alone I know of three families within spitting distance with relatives/in-laws in East London/Essex - My Mrs grew up walking distance from Green Street/The Boleyn etc and her family are all still in the East End/Essex border although they are all Arsenal fans with one Spud. I always liked seeing the West Ham lot coming back in to Newham from Essex on the C2C when they were still at Upton Park, Pearly Queens and Kings and all. I think having the City on their doorstep the West Ham lot are quietly quite well off these days, but still cockney through and through. Sucked a lot of the life out of Newham when they moved to the London stadium. The pubs around there lived for matchdays.

Slight issue with this, says West Ham were singing Blue Moon to us, but didn't we only start singing it about 89/90ish

As I recall, the West Ham fans congregated in the penalty area directly in front of us, and (after a very short period of impending doom) they clapped us and we all joined in on the loudest "we only hate man united" you've ever heard.

That was the moment that we became 'one'.

The police and stewards literally stood aside, and the City/West Ham love-in began. We were trading chants, scarves, handshakes for some time after, and walked back to cars, tube station etc together.

It was a memorable event and almost made relegation seem a minor issue!

Sucked a lot of the life out of Newham when they moved to the London stadium. The pubs around there lived for matchdays.
Tell me about it. I did a trek from The Boleyn to The Denmark to The Red Lion (formerly The Hammers) trying to find people I know but they’ve all gone food and craft beer to attract the new breed of resident. Down there was home for a decade.

There's a good few Mancs linked to their neighbourhoods by marriage and family too. On my street alone I know of three families within spitting distance with relatives/in-laws in East London/Essex - My Mrs grew up walking distance from Green Street/The Boleyn etc and her family are all still in the East End/Essex border although they are all Arsenal fans with one Spud. I always liked seeing the West Ham lot coming back in to Newham from Essex on the C2C when they were still at Upton Park, Pearly Queens and Kings and all. I think having the City on their doorstep the West Ham lot are quietly quite well off these days, but still cockney through and through. Sucked a lot of the life out of Newham when they moved to the London stadium. The pubs around there lived for matchdays.
My Dad's cousin played for West Ham in the 50s ( Geoff Hallas) and his widow Irene and son Garry still live in Saddleworth so yes another family connection.

I got legged by a few hundred West Ham skinheads at Piccadilly Station in the late 70’s….. handy fuckers they were and scary as fuck

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.