City - big club or not ?

I think this is a great point. There is a class system in football which mirrors the wider class system. It says that old money is good but new money is bad, history is more important than ability. There is a sycophancy in football which is nauseating. There is so much deference given to the clubs which have historic reputations. It is nauseating how the media and the authorities bow down to the traditional clubs. Deference and a fixation on the past feels like an English disease. People seem unwilling to change or modernise. The country has an unhealthy obssession with nostalgia and football is the prime example of this.
Ahem

As long as no one ever says "it means more" then I'm happy. Rejoice in what we are experiencing and never stoop to their level.

I think this is a great point. There is a class system in football which mirrors the wider class system. It says that old money is good but new money is bad, history is more important than ability. There is a sycophancy in football which is nauseating. There is so much deference given to the clubs which have historic reputations. It is nauseating how the media and the authorities bow down to the traditional clubs. Deference and a fixation on the past feels like an English disease. People seem unwilling to change or modernise. The country has an unhealthy obssession with nostalgia and football is the prime example of this.
Neither United nor Liverpool are traditional old money clubs though.

They were both new money compared to Villa Sunderland Everton SheffWeds Newcastle Blackburn and Preston who were the original big clubs in English football. They were even new money compared to City who were much bigger than both United and Liverpool pre-WW2.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.