City borrow money from Barclays against TV revenue - any cause for concern?

In a word, no. Businesses of all shapes and sizes take out debt for cash flow purposes. No big deal.

There’s all sorts of figures being bandied about but no one knows for sure (apart from Barclays & City of course). Our domestic TV income isn’t much more than £150m so I doubt very much we’ve borrowed all that in one go. At worst it’s £50m, if that, in my opinion.

As I’ve said before, we’ve got to find probably £75-100m for the final instalment on last summer’s transfers plus the money for Mahrez. We get relatively little cash when the season starts; we get a decent wedge in December/January then the bulk of PL/UEFA money in May/June.

It's nothing we haven't done before.

It's an extended overdraft facility at preferential rates for essentially running the club throughout the year.

It's not £150m, either. It's simply a charge set against TV money if we default (it gets settled well in advance)
Correct. It might not even be an actual loan but a revolving credit facility. It’s a common cash flow issue in the PL. Clubs get a bit of cash in August, some in December and the bulk in May. We’ll get money throughout the year from sale of tickets and instalments on season tickets, plus sale of merchandise. But we’ve got to pay wages and other operating costs all year round. So around Feb/March cash reserves tend to be low or gone altogether, meaning some need overdraft-type facilities to keep them going until the end of the season. That’s why Wardle had to put money in regularly as our cash outgoings were not even covered by our incomings. Nowadays we’re cash positive over a year but there are peaks and troughs.

Bolton always seemed in debt to the tune of a years' tv money it it worked out well for them...

Bolton always seemed in debt to the tune of a years' tv money it it worked out well for them...
Bolton were in debt to the tune of 4 years TV money when they went down and it was long term debt from continually running at a loss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.