City Building World's 1st Football Stadium in the Metaverse

And all this from the company that brought you Betamax???????
They also brought you the first transistor pocket radio. I bought one in the early sixties for £5. Worth a fortune now. Wonder where mine is?

If it takes off, you can foresee potential falling levels of live crowds.

Cheaper, easier and ticks more boxes of the ‘younger’ generations.

But that’s maybe 5-10 years or so away of gaining that level of market penetration of the VR headsets - remember how the take-up of mobile phones happened, part of it was fuelled by the (afterthought added) take up of SMS text messaging by the youth.
Change/take-up is driven by the younger generations.

so… if it does take-off, then any new stadiums being upgraded/built/planned are potentially under-filled white elephants.

Covid showed that top-level football could be played in front of almost no-one. It was hideous for the lack of atmosphere (even on TV), and the players didn’t like it either- but imagine a halfway point - potentially smaller, intimate stadiums full of safe standing fanatic fans, with the same vast audience on TV and an ever increasing number of VR audience as the markets get penetrated (no Mr KW pics thanks!).

If City lead the way, in the football VR, great.
If it’s successful, marvellous.
If it’s unsuccessful, well a lot of people like Mr Zuckerberg of Facebook Meta fame will have lost a lot of money, but it won’t affect how ‘City’ operate.
Youre right about sms. Was an afterthought and the companies had no idea it would be so popular. One co provided a single personal computer to host the entire thing!

If it takes off, you can foresee potential falling levels of live crowds.

Cheaper, easier and ticks more boxes of the ‘younger’ generations.

But that’s maybe 5-10 years or so away of gaining that level of market penetration of the VR headsets - remember how the take-up of mobile phones happened, part of it was fuelled by the (afterthought added) take up of SMS text messaging by the youth.
Change/take-up is driven by the younger generations.

so… if it does take-off, then any new stadiums being upgraded/built/planned are potentially under-filled white elephants.

Covid showed that top-level football could be played in front of almost no-one. It was hideous for the lack of atmosphere (even on TV), and the players didn’t like it either- but imagine a halfway point - potentially smaller, intimate stadiums full of safe standing fanatic fans, with the same vast audience on TV and an ever increasing number of VR audience as the markets get penetrated (no Mr KW pics thanks!).

If City lead the way, in the football VR, great.
If it’s successful, marvellous.
If it’s unsuccessful, well a lot of people like Mr Zuckerberg of Facebook Meta fame will have lost a lot of money, but it won’t affect how ‘City’ operate.

I'm an FOC but, having had the privilege of witnessing the development of personal computers, mobiles and technology in general, I love to see this.

I can forsee a day when I'm too old to go to games but I can watch sitting next to my sons (who are overseas) and talking to them as if they were with me like when we all used to go together.

At the moment there is no substance at all to the Metaverse but it was obvious years ago that City would be at the forefront of the next generation of digital/virtual sports coverage which will give them a huge advantage. Most of the rest of the football world is still essentially trying to do the early 90s model better.

Why people are seeing the negative in this amazes me it's brilliant for the fans who can't get to games city leading the way again
Exactly. Compare how many global fans have a City+ membership, as opposed to how many have LFC or ManUre TV Sky subscriptions?

VR & 360° 10.1 Digital Surround viewing will be as close as you can get to actually being at The Etihad. If I were in the US, Ghana, Philippines, Hong Kong, South Korea, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc, you're dead right I'd pay a fiver per match.

You could switch from the fans view, to the managers view, the players view to the TV viewers view at will. Turn the heating off in your gaff, turn the sprinklers on the garden & have a flask of Bovril & a chicken balti pie & chips for half time, & it'll be like a home from home experience... :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.