City fan' letter in "Radio Times"

I'm derailing the thread :-)

Ah now I'm with you. I thought there was some incredibly subtle play on words involved.

You know what. I've really enjoyed this thread. When the locomotive goes off the rails it starts to samba.

By the way, I might be Spartacus, depending what the consequences are.

Last edited:
It's entirely about clicks and markets.
Mind you, I prefer to put fans like this: “fans”. Because someone in Singapore or Baton Rouge who goes around wearing a Liverpool top and maybe looks at clips from time to time on their mobile phone I barely consider a fan. Of any club. Still less a supporter.
I refer to them as followers, they are not fans. I remember a “fan” in China being asked who he supported. He answered “Manchester”.

This is all very surprising! The lovely Colin, aka PrestwichBlue, alerted me to this on Twitter yesterday and I thought, well, I'll swoop in and say hi to everyone.

This is me. Okay, it's not exactly me, it is my dad. He does not have a smartphone or a computer. No interest in technology at all! So when he's annoyed about something and wants to write a letter in, it's muggins here who has to be dictated to like a secretary :-D

I think he was quite shocked to see it printed tbh! He's had a million letters printed in his life, all over the place (NME in the 70s, Mojo and Uncut in recent decades) but he didn't think the RT would fancy it. He was thrilled it went in and is deeply tickled by the existence of this thread, which I told him about yesterday, just after I explained what a message board/forum is!

Anyway, we are, obviously, blues going back a LONG time. I'm 45 and went to my first match in 1988. He's 71 (won't thank me for mentioning it!) and went to his first match in 1960. His dad, Eli, went to THE first match at Maine Road in 1923 (Eli was born here, but his fam were not; we're Eastern European Jews, on both sides). So we have had blues in our family for almost 100 years. Which is mad! Dad had a season ticket from 1977-95, also (he couldn't before then, he had a Sat job at Burtons on Deansgate, if any of you are old enough to remember that).

I moved to London 22 years ago nearly, so I see all the away games (when I can get tix, which tbh is irritatingly not often these days). We go to one home match per year, he likes to just do one now. I'm also sometimes on the great Ste Tudor's 93.20 podcast if you wish to seek that out!

Lots of love to all the blues
CTID

Liz
Lovely post. One thing intrigues me. As Jewish supporters your family lived through the Bert Trautmann controversy. Any tales from then? Did your family consider going over to the dark side? The Jewish arm of my extended family (long story!) certainly turned red then.

Last edited:
Lovely post. One thing intrigues me. As Jewish supporters your family lived through the Bert Trautmann controversy. Any tales from then? Did your family consider going over to the dark side? The Jewish arm of my extended family (long story!) certainly turned red then.
As this thread has already been derailed enough by some right wrong uns....
I have always been told it was Jewish Blues who told Catholic/Protestant mancs that he should be accepted. By the sound of it, that's not the case !

Oy, stop derailing the thread. Now where was I, ah yes I was in Guatemala, 1982, maybe 3, there was this lady with a beard.....
Ha ha, 24 hours later I have remembered what I was trying to remember when I posted the above.
It was Kaiser Söze in The Usual Suspects
'back when I was picking beans in Guatemala we used to make fresh coffee right off the trees'

So for clarification, there was no bearded lady.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.