City fans' view towards the Champions League

Do you enjoy the Champions League?

• Total voters

supercity88

I know this has been discussed in various threads over the years, but I wondered whether views have changed towards the Champions League now that we've made the final?

Personally, I've always wanted City to win the Champions League. From being a kid and hearing the music, there was always something about it that made it feel special. Whilst UEFA did their best to kick us out, penalise us and hold us back from winning it, I still wanted to beat the bullies the best way possible and to see City lift the trophy and make our point.

I guess it's a slightly old fashioned romantic view I have for it, the same way I do for the FA Cup. I remember watching CL games on ITV with my Dad, regardless of who was playing and just feeling like it was a special competition (even as a kid before I knew what it even meant).

Every year I've watched City in the CL with my heart pounding and with a real disappointment when we've lost. Far more than in any other competition. The Lyon loss last year took me a long time to recover from!

We all know as a fanbase we've booed the anthem and lots couldn't give a toss about it and would rather win the league over it every season. But what I'm asking is, are City fans now on board with the competition or is it just the fact we've made the latter stages that people are showing more support?

I think this club needs to win the CL to be properly respected from outside, and I want to see us win it. I'd sacrifice the league next season (based on winning it this season) in order to win the CL if I was given that option. But I would guess I'm in the minority on that still?!

City winning anything still astounds me. I’ve had a season ticket just short of 40 years and so have never tied my support of City to winning trophies, it’s never a factor in why I go to games, I’d go regardless.

But if I had to rank the four competitions we compete for, it’d be fourth. If I was offered the chance to go to Istanbul or the Everton home game, it’s Everton in a heartbeat.

I’ve been on the Champions League cup scheme every year, done my share of aways, but to me it’s no more romantic or important than the League Cup. Probably less so given the shambles at the top of UEFA.

Not really. I'll cheer the team on for any success, but mostly I want it for Pep. It's clear this is a competition that matters to him, but i'll never base the clubs success on their progression in the competition.

After all the shite with UEFA and the cartel, the Champions League lost a bit of it's majesty to me. It's like the UEFA Super Cup in terms of importance and I still regard the FA Cup as being more prestigious. Cartel fans might care and use it as a stick to beat us with, but even when we do win it, they'll just say it was won with "oil money" so who cares whether we do or not.

Maybe as years pass the CL will gain some of it's magic again once UEFA stops treating City like an enemy, and given the whole Supa Leeg debacle that might be the case. Time will tell in that regard. I've booked the day off for the final, will cheer them on, but that's because City are in a final. I'll do the same for the UEFA Super Cup and Club World Cup finals too.

Me personally still not overly bothered but of course would like City to win !
Unfortunately for me not being a great fan of the champions league , this feels abit like a fa cup final in Istanbul ;))

But know we are in the final ......COME ON CITY !

No offense to Chelsea.

I've thought a bit this week about the small-minded Likkle City fans who've always lurked, claiming not the care about the biggest club competition in the world. They are our "legacy" fans, stuck in an era where City defined themselves by the odd derby victory and hope of a cup final every decade or so.

Hopefully the quality, the excitement, the hype, the profile and the euphoria of this week's game has illustrated to these people how they need to heave themselves into the modern world of MCFC.

I'm going to use a wank phrase: "What's not to like"? This is as exciting as 1999, 2000, 2011 and 12.

I've thought a bit this week about the small-minded Likkle City fans who've always lurked, claiming not the care about the biggest club competition in the world. They are our "legacy" fans, stuck in an era where City defined themselves by the odd derby victory and hope of a cup final every decade or so.

Hopefully the quality, the excitement, the hype, the profile and the euphoria of this week's game has illustrated to these people how they need to heave themselves into the modern world of MCFC.

I'm going to use a wank phrase: "What's not to like"? This is as exciting as 1999, 2000, 2011 and 12.
patronising as i find you usually are

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.