City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Re: City & FFP (continued)

I'm thrilled the supporters group is joining the fight. It is quite literally the worst regulation put in place in the history of global sports (and the US has had quite a few poor ones ourselves). This thing has to be overturned.

If Liverpool get done, someone get on the phone to the Spirit of Shankly. Nothing like thousands of outraged scousers.

It needs a club like Liverpool to get embroiled in it (nothing to do with sporting rivalries I hasten to add).

So far, the general impression that UEFA have helped to foster is that it's in the best interests of the game at large, and to protect clubs from getting into financial trouble. More recently, that rationale has been adjusted to sugar daddy clubs spending more than they make... and the general public have applauded that.

They've applauded it because superficially, it appeals to the average fans senses... 'stop big clubs buying success'. However it cripples legitimate investment too which for most clubs hasn't been an a issue (yet!).

Liverpool aren't perceived as a sugar daddy club, or buying their success (I don't want to get into a debate about the legitimacy of this perception, I'm simply stating it IS a perception that many hold).

If Liverpool were to be affected by FFP sanctions, then more fans would wake up to the fact that it's stifling 'normal' clubs too, and with Liverpool's huge fan base, it would really help raise the profile of FFP's inadequacy.

I'd like to think United and other massive clubs could face sanctions, but we all know that's not going to happen. But Liverpool are borderline, and a club that I imagine UEFA have little affection for (we all know why).

I'm not arguing it would be good for them to be sanctioned out of any spite, or bitterness, merely that it would raise the profile massively and change perception that it's a 'worthy sanction' against sugar daddies.

latest article in the fail reckons uefa are ultra confident ffp will be upheld in a fortnight.Some decision being made by the european courts?
bet the dippers worm there way out of it..Of that I am certain.

Liverpool set to be investigated for breaching financial fair play regulations

UEFA are set to investigate Liverpool over FFP breaches
Governing body is also looking at Monaco, Inter Milan and Roma
Reds will not suffer financial sanctions but risk having their Champions League prize money withheld
Liverpool made a loss of £49.8m last season, although they hope to write off a large proportion as allowable stadium expenditure

razman said:
Reds will not suffer financial sanctions but risk having their Champions League prize money withheld

I assume that's a quote from the Mail and not your own wording, Raz.
Either way, having prize money witheld IS a financial sanction. Sounds like somebody somewhere is sugaring a pill.

mad4city said:
razman said:

Either way, having prize money witheld IS a financial sanction. Sounds like somebody somewhere is sugaring a pill.

Precisely, it's taking your money at source... like your employer reducing your pay!
Technically you're not going to be paying a fine, as they'll take the money off your before they even give it.

It will be interesting how UEFA explain how the financial penalties it imposes are 'helping' the wider world of football when it's distributing the money amongst the elite, rather than at least letting it go to grass roots football or something.
They are as bad a FIFA for an appalling lack of self awareness and PR.

FanchesterCity said:
mad4city said:
razman said:

Precisely, it's taking your money at source... like your employer reducing your pay!
Technically you're not going to be paying a fine, as they'll take the money off your before they even give it.

It will be interesting how UEFA explain how the financial penalties it imposes are 'helping' the wider world of football when it's distributing the money amongst the elite, rather than at least letting it go to grass roots football or something.
They are as bad a FIFA for an appalling lack of self awareness and PR.

mad4city said:
razman said:

I think the Mail actually says :

No financial sanctions will be imposed at this stage however - though a provisional sanction to withhold Champions League money is possible as a next step in the process and the CFCB will hold talks and ask for more information from all the clubs involved before making any such decision.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
latest article in the fail reckons uefa are ultra confident ffp will be upheld in a fortnight.Some decision being made by the european courts?
bet the dippers worm there way out of it..Of that I am certain.

Every party involved in litigation professes confidence in the outcome.

If anything, I think some very recent (non-football but on some of the same issues) court decisions in the ECJ should make UEFA worry a bit about its chances.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.