City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Re: City & FFP (continued)

The long and short of UEFA's argument will be this:

1) FFP is a valid exemption from normal rules as it's in the greater interest of the industry (which is a valid reason for exemption)
2) The majority of participating clubs are in agreement with the rules
3) The current rules aren't set in stone and that FIFA are still very much 'developing' their policy - so teething troubles are to be expected.

However, the winning counter argument (in my opinion) will be this:

1) It is not protecting the industry at large, merely a very small subset of clubs aka the elite.
2) No industry wide vote has taken place to prove the majority of the industry agrees with the rules.
3) Teething troubles may well be a typical issue with new rules, but that doesn't make them immune from the law.
4) There is no evidence whatsoever that huge investments in football clubs is (or has been) detrimental to the welfare of the game. Whilst there is some evidence to suggest it's been beneficial.
5) There IS evidence to suggest that clubs over stretching their finances can (and do) end up in trouble, but this should never be confused with huge investment. This is a ruse UEFA have been using for years, and is quite simply misleading, and at worse, knowingly misrepresentative of mismanaged club finances. i.e. they often use 'clubs getting into financial trouble' as their biggest fear, but appear to condone huge debt, but reprimand significant investment.
6) FFP imposes an effective glass ceiling for smaller clubs, who's only realistic means of growth is for growth to occur over decades, rather than years, which is a deterrent to many investors.
7) FFP places additional pressures on clubs to maintain revenues, which has a direct impact on tickets prices and merchandise which is not to the benefit of the consumer. i.e. If an owner chose to lower tickets prices, FFP would offer no incentive for them to do so. FFP makes very little provision for consumer benefit other than the exemption from FFP for infrastructure development, which is at best, a tenuous benefit.

So can somebody explain what the difference is between Liverpool being investigated and us being investigated and being found guilty?
Can we expect similar sanctions?

Is there a timetable for a re-vote on *domestic* FFP? It was only one vote away (I think Reading were the cowards who abstained) from not having the majority it needed. I think if they voted again now, it could swing the other way. I have no hope of UEFA's version being dismissed anywhere but court, but the domestic version (which is more lenient but still restrictive) could be at risk if they have another vote.

LoveCity said:
Is there a timetable for a re-vote on *domestic* FFP? It was only one vote away (I think Reading were the cowards who abstained) from not having the majority it needed. I think if they voted again now, it could swing the other way. I have no hope of UEFA's version being dismissed anywhere but court, but the domestic version (which is more lenient but still restrictive) could be at risk if they have another vote.

To stop it coming in only needed 4 teams to vote against I think, to vote it back will be the flip side so 16 teams would have to be for it's reinstatement. No chance that will happen anytime soon imo. Well done Reading!!!! Anyway now it's in it actually suits us long term.

Scousers seem to be convinced that they can deduct £49.6m from their last two losses as it was money written off for Hicks & Gillets stadium expansion plans. Putting aside whether or not that whether or not that is an allowable expense (what did they get for their £49.6m) it was actually written off in their 2010/11 accounts from what I can see. So I can't see it being significant.

Just been reading in the FT that Malaga have been banned for a year from European competition by UEFA next time they qualify together with a 3K Euro fine for non payment of debt.

Just wondering how this fits with Barca and their cosy arrangement with Spanish Tax Authorities.

Edit:
On the same topic under FT.com > comment > opinion, there is a piece entitled 'European Football will never be the same again' claiming current FFP heralds adoption of US style sports model.

FanchesterCity said:
The long and short of UEFA's argument will be this:

1) FFP is a valid exemption from normal rules as it's in the greater interest of the industry (which is a valid reason for exemption)
2) The majority of participating clubs are in agreement with the rules
3) The current rules aren't set in stone and that FIFA are still very much 'developing' their policy - so teething troubles are to be expected.

However, the winning counter argument (in my opinion) will be this:

1) It is not protecting the industry at large, merely a very small subset of clubs aka the elite.
2) No industry wide vote has taken place to prove the majority of the industry agrees with the rules.
3) Teething troubles may well be a typical issue with new rules, but that doesn't make them immune from the law.
4) There is no evidence whatsoever that huge investments in football clubs is (or has been) detrimental to the welfare of the game. Whilst there is some evidence to suggest it's been beneficial.
5) There IS evidence to suggest that clubs over stretching their finances can (and do) end up in trouble, but this should never be confused with huge investment. This is a ruse UEFA have been using for years, and is quite simply misleading, and at worse, knowingly misrepresentative of mismanaged club finances. i.e. they often use 'clubs getting into financial trouble' as their biggest fear, but appear to condone huge debt, but reprimand significant investment.
6) FFP imposes an effective glass ceiling for smaller clubs, who's only realistic means of growth is for growth to occur over decades, rather than years, which is a deterrent to many investors.
7) FFP places additional pressures on clubs to maintain revenues, which has a direct impact on tickets prices and merchandise which is not to the benefit of the consumer. i.e. If an owner chose to lower tickets prices, FFP would offer no incentive for them to do so. FFP makes very little provision for consumer benefit other than the exemption from FFP for infrastructure development, which is at best, a tenuous benefit.

Excellent post and one that needs wider broadcasting.... great summary , Fanchester

FFP is absolute bollocks. If it's designed to stop clubs spending more than they can afford, like Portsmouth and Leeds did, how the fuck can it be applied to us? Our owner has more money than the entire nation of Belgium and could afford to buy the Moon if he wanted it. This means one of three things:
Platini doesn't understand his own rules, so is an imbecile who shouldn't be left in charge of a goldfish, never mind UEFA.
Platini understands perfectly but hopes no-one questions him so he can cheat and allow Man Utd and Real Madrid to spend what they like, thus generating more money for UEFA.
Platini believes the media bullshit that 'the Sheikh will get bored'. In which case again, he is an imbecile.

So in reality, Platini is either an imbecile, or a corrupt cheat.

Whichever, we really need to beat this crap in the courts, then sign Bale, Ronaldo and Fabregas. Fat windbags like Alan Brazil and various southern rags in the media will then set themselves on fire rather than live with us winning the quadruple every season.

Jack Wills said:
FFP is absolute bollocks. If it's designed to stop clubs spending more than they can afford, like Portsmouth and Leeds did, how the fuck can it be applied to us? Our owner has more money than the entire nation of Belgium and could afford to buy the Moon if he wanted it. This means one of three things:
Platini doesn't understand his own rules, so is an imbecile who shouldn't be left in charge of a goldfish, never mind UEFA.
Platini understands perfectly but hopes no-one questions him so he can cheat and allow Man Utd and Real Madrid to spend what they like, thus generating more money for UEFA.
Platini believes the media bullshit that 'the Sheikh will get bored'. In which case again, he is an imbecile.

So in reality, Platini is either an imbecile, or a corrupt cheat.

Whichever, we really need to beat this crap in the courts, then sign Bale, Ronaldo and Fabregas. Fat windbags like Alan Brazil and various southern rags in the media will then set themselves on fire rather than live with us winning the quadruple every season.

He's both

I'm sure that UEFA will give Liverpool a much easier ride than we got, but I would die laughing if they got sanctioned just as we moved into profit.

After all those smarmy snide little digs from John Henry, the day of any announcement of LFC failure to comply City should put a joint bid in for Sterling and Sturridge.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.