City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
FanchesterCity said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
Fanchester, it's PSG fans who are arguing that FFP has led to THEIR ticket prices going up, not ours. We aren't going to court on these grounds. PSG fans are taking action because of specific increases, which I believe are supposed to be really hefty. Some prices have doubled, they claim. Their case is that the club was punished last season for breaches of FFP, and that they were certain to breach the break even rule again this year, triggering even greater sanctions, unless they could increase income massively. This was because their deal with the Qatari tourist board was considered a related parties' deal an so it's value for FFP purposes was reduced substantially. Since immediate increases in sponsorship were not forthcoming, TV income could not be increased, they were faced with either selling assets or raising admission prices. The break even rule does not therefore promote economic progress since the sale of players weakens the club and it does not bring any benefits to the consumer. So, yet again you are confusing the issues with vague waffle of guns and baseball bats. This case is concerned with specific events and causal connections, and you seem totally unaware of them.

My post was in response to the one prior to mine where it was suggested our ticket prices were a consequence of FFP, and I replied saying that would be a hard sell.

But even for PSG, it's not an easy sell, since there were alternative courses of action they could have taken - such as selling some players.

Of course we as fans can quite easily say it's forcing prices up, but you'd have to prove that in court, which would be difficult when ticket price increases were rising prior to FFP too.... I don't think it's a clear argument.

Had you read my post in context of the prior one, you'd not have reached your wrong conclusion about my post.

The post prior to yours was from Chippy boy, which commented on PSG and argued that price rises at City could be shown to be a result of FFP.

The "alternative courses of action", such as selling some players, raise the precise question of the legitimacy of the break even rule. UEFA must demonstrate to the court the reasons why it will not allow the most obvious "alternative course of action" which is investment by the owners of the club. In particular they must demonstrate that there are actual advantages in terms of economic and/or technical progress which will result from the limit imposes on investment and that the consumer derives benefits from the resultant progress. Tell us straight, no waffle or bluster, how exactly UEFA will do that.

The relevance to City is that this case will show that a permanent and universal ban on owner investment will not necessarily promote progress at all but will increase the pressure on clubs to raise ticket prices as a way of increasing revenue. Selling players would damage the interests and development of the club if done purely to balance the books. We are back to the fundamental principle: commercial law is founded on the principle that investment is essential and must be encouraged while FFP rests squarely on the principle that it is harmful and must be banned. It is clearly contrary to the letter and spirit of European law.

I know very well what it said, it's why I responded to it.
You just failed to see my response was to THAT claim, that OUR ticket price hike was a direct result of FFP, and I argued that was a hard sell. No harm done, we're back on track now.

Of course you can argue that FFP puts pressure on clubs to hike prices, in order to increase revenue (with the ultimate aim of being allowed to spend more).
But it can equally be argued that a club simply needs to stop spending more. The only 'pressure' is that they put on themselves by wanting to spend more, and in order to do so, they charge fans more.
PSG themselves could argue that IF fans will pay that price, then by default, it's what the market will bear, and if the market couldn't bear the price hikes, the fans would stop going, and revenues actually decrease.
Sadly, this is where sport doesn't quite conform with normal business, as PSG fans can't easily buy their product from elsewhere (another team).
I wouldn't like to guess which way a court would look at all that, it's a mess. It's made even worse because the notion of FFP is a good thing, it's just the lousy way (imo) it's implemented that's the problem.

is it are previous 3 year accounts that get assessed or has are slate been wiped clean???

80s Shorts said:
FanchesterCity said:
The danger with a court ruling is that they may not rule absolutely for or against FFP, instead, they could spell out which aspects of FFP they believe to be legitimate and which they don't.

The problem with that is that before FFP, there were no restrictions, so a court throwing out some aspects of FFP is not new benefit to clubs.... however, if they identify some legitimate aspects of FFP, then that will only steer UEFA in a slightly different direction, but now a legally supported one.

It's a bit like saying 'you can't use a gun in this fight, UEFA, but we do think a baseball bat is ok'. We'll just be hit with a baseball bat then, and we'll have even less hope of challenging it.

It's only really a win for clubs if it's entirely ruled illegal, anything less is still a problem.

BUT, it's clubs behind us that have the bigger problem, we (as we always knew) just about scraped into the elite before the drawbridge came up, and we're still having to squeeze our way in.

What if it's a rounders bat.

What if it's a golf bat?

FanchesterCity said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
FanchesterCity said:
My post was in response to the one prior to mine where it was suggested our ticket prices were a consequence of FFP, and I replied saying that would be a hard sell.

But even for PSG, it's not an easy sell, since there were alternative courses of action they could have taken - such as selling some players.

Of course we as fans can quite easily say it's forcing prices up, but you'd have to prove that in court, which would be difficult when ticket price increases were rising prior to FFP too.... I don't think it's a clear argument.

Had you read my post in context of the prior one, you'd not have reached your wrong conclusion about my post.

The post prior to yours was from Chippy boy, which commented on PSG and argued that price rises at City could be shown to be a result of FFP.

The "alternative courses of action", such as selling some players, raise the precise question of the legitimacy of the break even rule. UEFA must demonstrate to the court the reasons why it will not allow the most obvious "alternative course of action" which is investment by the owners of the club. In particular they must demonstrate that there are actual advantages in terms of economic and/or technical progress which will result from the limit imposes on investment and that the consumer derives benefits from the resultant progress. Tell us straight, no waffle or bluster, how exactly UEFA will do that.

The relevance to City is that this case will show that a permanent and universal ban on owner investment will not necessarily promote progress at all but will increase the pressure on clubs to raise ticket prices as a way of increasing revenue. Selling players would damage the interests and development of the club if done purely to balance the books. We are back to the fundamental principle: commercial law is founded on the principle that investment is essential and must be encouraged while FFP rests squarely on the principle that it is harmful and must be banned. It is clearly contrary to the letter and spirit of European law.

You just failed to see my response was to THAT claim, that OUR ticket price hike was a direct result of FFP, and I argued that was a hard sell. No harm done, we're back on track now.

Of course you can argue that FFP puts pressure on clubs to hike prices, in order to increase revenue (with the ultimate aim of being allowed to spend more).
But it can equally be argued that a club simply needs to stop spending more. The only 'pressure' is that they put on themselves by wanting to spend more, and in order to do so, they charge fans more.
PSG themselves could argue that IF fans will pay that price, then by default, it's what the market will bear, and if the market couldn't bear the price hikes, the fans would stop going, and revenues actually decrease.
Sadly, this is where sport doesn't quite conform with normal business, as PSG fans can't easily buy their product from elsewhere (another team).
I wouldn't like to guess which way a court would look at all that, it's a mess. It's made even worse because the notion of FFP is a good thing, it's just the lousy way (imo) it's implemented that's the problem.

No, it isn't it. Unless you sell a million Shrek duvet covers in Japan or get handouts from the Spanish Govt it is far from a good thing. It's restrictive, elitist and the antithesis of 'fair'. Cheating, to put it another way.

The sooner we can overcome this rule or get it overturned to allow our owner to spend as much of his money as he wants on his business the better. Can't really see how it can be legally watertight to restrict investment, especially as it encourages unchallengeable cartels.

FanchesterCity said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
FanchesterCity said:

Fanchester, you need to read article 101 very carefully. UEFA cannot argue that the club "simply needs to stop spending more." Article 101 is specific: investment (spending) can only be limited if it can be shown that this is necessary to promote technical or economic progress AND that this limit brings benefits to the consumer. If UEFA cannot show this conclusively then any agreement to limit investment is prohibited and is null and void. The onus of proof is on UEFA, not on PSG, to show that it is meeting the requirement of Article 101, or it may not limit the right of PSG to invest. If PSG wishes to increase ticket prices because it is in the business interests of the club it may do so, but it my not b compelled to to meet requirements imposed unlawfully by UEFA.

Sigh said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
route46 said:
is it are previous 3 year accounts that get assessed or has are slate been wiped clean???
The slate was wiped clean for last year and this. €20m last year and €10m this. After that it's back to a 3 year rolling assessment but we'll be fined by then.

fify
Took me a while to spot that but worth the wait!

Gojairu said:
80s Shorts said:
FanchesterCity said:
The danger with a court ruling is that they may not rule absolutely for or against FFP, instead, they could spell out which aspects of FFP they believe to be legitimate and which they don't.

The problem with that is that before FFP, there were no restrictions, so a court throwing out some aspects of FFP is not new benefit to clubs.... however, if they identify some legitimate aspects of FFP, then that will only steer UEFA in a slightly different direction, but now a legally supported one.

It's a bit like saying 'you can't use a gun in this fight, UEFA, but we do think a baseball bat is ok'. We'll just be hit with a baseball bat then, and we'll have even less hope of challenging it.

It's only really a win for clubs if it's entirely ruled illegal, anything less is still a problem.

BUT, it's clubs behind us that have the bigger problem, we (as we always knew) just about scraped into the elite before the drawbridge came up, and we're still having to squeeze our way in.

What if it's a golf bat?
Or a Vampire bat

EL APACHE TEVEZ said:
Gojairu said:
80s Shorts said:

What if it's a golf bat?
Or a Vampire bat

As long as it's not a Cricket bat I'm happy. Imagine the squad restrictions required us to use the English ODI squad? We'd be fucked, they're shit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.