City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Does this mean that Tariq Panja will be announcing all our future sponsorship deals before they actually happen?

I honestly can’t see past a premier league team finding a sponsor then having to tell everyone in the premier league who they’re thinking about working with, then before anything is signed off, United or Liverpool can contact them directly hoovering up any potential new sponsors.

How did they get this level of control!?
Clubs will have to sign deals "subject to PL ffp approval" before submission.

Not really, it’s aimed at sponsorships, the elephant in the room is obviously ours with Etihad which CAS adjudicated as fair value & unrelated in 2020. We were actively looking for a new shirt sponsor before the Pandemic anyway. We are under the drawbridge, it’s Newcastle they are attempting to fuck here so they don’t get another City (ie competition)

it absolutely isn’t. It’s us and it’s always been us. The carefully orchestrated moral hoo-ha about the Newcastle takeover, was merely a blind to facilitate this steaming great pile of bollocks, which they’d have found difficult to otherwise force through without looking like they were targeting us specifically

Seems the PL have come up with a scheme to review sponsorships.

Anything over £1m has to be reviewed by the PL, who can pass it to an "independent panel" for assessment if they feel it warrants it.

Isn’t this the whole point of auditors?

it absolutely isn’t. It’s us and it’s always been us. The carefully orchestrated moral hoo-ha about the Newcastle takeover, was merely a blind to facilitate this steaming great pile of bollocks, which they’d have found difficult to otherwise force through without looking like they were targeting us specifically

Of course it is. It's drafting is entirely based on our business.

I have no idea how they expect these rules to be applied in the real world. They say that the club must cancel or amend a contract with a third party if the PL decides it isn't fair value. But it will still be a valid legal contract. The PL must have zero authority to force any club to break a valid legal contract. The first time this happens to Newcastle, they sue and they either win, the Saudis tell the government to intervene again, or three years later it is still in the courts, they have spent the money and they will be a more valuable club thereby proving the sponsorship value was right in the first place.

What a waste of PL resources. Good for lawyers, though. Hoorah!

There is nothing to target us on in relation to sponsorship even if the rules are implemented, see my original post. If they want to go down that route, they can & they will follow the same path as UEFA and find themselves, & their new rules in very muddy waters. This is clearly to prevent Newcastle getting off the ground with Saudi deals and building into a threat to Champions League revenue streams that the Yank Clubs want and have monopolised, us aside.

I am semi-expecting a legal challenge from Newcastle before this can be implemented and, if it is, I doubt it’ll even stick in its current format.

The article PB linked is behind a paywall for me. The full article is here from open source archive.ph :

Final paras:

View attachment 32469

Despite the "strict security" what are the chances that the usual suspects will find out all information they want? 100% imo.
So many potential legal minefields for the PL to navigate and they’ve clearly been forced into this. It’s going to end up very messy and embarrassingly for them I would suspect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.