City & FFP | 2020/21 Accounts released | Revenues of £569.8m, £2.4m profit (p 2395)

Re: City & FFP (continued)

M18CTID said:
Manchester Dan and Bobby Manc continue to demolish Barca84 over on Red Cafe and they've done it far more eloquently than I ever could. This is every bit as impressive a victory on United soil as the 6-1 lol:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchester-city-facing-financial-fair-play-sanctions.388686/page-41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.redcafe.net/threads/manchest ... 86/page-41</a>
Has anyone ever checked out barca whatevers rag thread on the USA human rights issues since the glazers took over in 2005, 3 years before the Sheikh bought us? It must be a monster thread by now I would think? Perhaps one of the the 2 Blues conversing with him could enquire where exactly has it been hidden.

Can we not put this human rights stuff in another thread mods?

Just seems to be taking over the FFP thread. ;o)

aguero93:20 said:
FanchesterCity said:
And it's increasingly desperate when a poster who's supposedly so well informed on the subject of our owners doesn't know which UAE state they're from.

I don't think he's referring to our owners, but those of PSG who (allegedly) may have shown interest in Man United -hence Qatari.
I'm not talking about jrb, I'm talking about the poster on rag cafe he was referring to, who claims that Khaldoon al Mubarak is employed by the state of Dubai to use MCFC as a promotional vehicle to mask the human rights violations of Dubai.

Sorry mate! looked like it was the Qatar reference.

What's ' Barca84' on about? I've been a member of Amnesty for 8 years and I've never gotten anything about Abu Dhabi (and they send lots of literature and I read all of it). They've said plenty about Sweatshops, Rendition, Black sites and Guantanamo bay though...

Same here.
Christ knows, Amnesty have showered me in literature, cataloguing a litany of human misery, over the years but I'm honestly struggling to recall a single report from UAE - and it's not as if I wouldn't have been 'tuned in' to reports from Abū Dhabi since September 2008.
When Thaksin was in charge, I called him out on this forum for the despicable human being that he always will be. What's right is right and what's wrong cannot go unattended. UAE seriously needs to catch up with the Western world on employment rights, in certain cases but, sadly, you don't have to look as far as the Middle East to find exploited immigrant workers.
UAE (and I have a niece working there, so I know, first hand) can also be a very profitable and culturally enriching environment for other immigrant workers. In other words it's flawed - just like the UK or Ireland or the USA and many other developed countries.

Now we seem to be past the 10 day period (I think it's 10 days) that someone has to appeal against FFP agreements do we find out if there is an appeal or does it all just get finalised

danielwood5 said:
goalmole said:
Just to continue the theme of human rights, but from slightly different and perhaps a more optimistic angle. I think ownership of a high profile football business that is Manchester City has the capacity to encourage the rulers of Abu Dhabi to change the way they govern their country and how they view the rights of the people that they govern. It is common knowledge that City have been bought primarily as a vehicle for the publicity and promotion of the perception of Abu Dhabi as a country and a culture. This in itself points to the fact that the rulers of Abu Dhabi want be seen as full card carrying members of the comity of nations rather than backward looking barbarians who just happen to have struck it rich with the oil that they have been blessed with. It matters to them that they are seen as moderate and progressive. It matters to them that they are respected. Rather than the idea of City being used to mask the excesses of an authoritarian regime, i think the exposure that City gives to the regime in Abu Dhabi increases the possibility of the rest of the world being able to nudge an otherwise authoritarian regime towards moderation and democracy and of the Abu Dhabi government being more receptive to that pressure in order to gain the acceptance and respect that they crave so much. The reaction of the Qatari government to the criticism of it's policy towards foreign workers would amply illustrate my point.

I read an article a couple of years ago, I think it was by a Canadian journalist but I'm not sure, that spoke about how some of the nations in the Middle East were being more proactive in dealing and promoting themselves in the West as a way of opening up the eyes of their citizens to the ways other people live their lives. The article was saying that to Western eyes a lot of the laws over there are incredibly backward and that the rulers want to change that, however a lot of the power in the countries is in the hands of the more extreme religious leaders, so if they want to relax laws on something that goes against the hardline beliefs of their more vocal clerics then there will be an almighty fuss (along the lines of gay marriage in the States but much worse) which makes it difficult to change these laws and customs, much like the Queen here can't just do whatever she wants. As they have been quite isolated until relatively recently a lot of people don't even consider that there's a different way of living and of interacting with each other and the wider world but the rulers feel that if there is a more open cultural exchange with the West then this may change. This makes sense to me as they would know that eventually the oil will run out and they will have to rely on other sources of income for their countries but if they are still stuck in the past then this will be incredibly difficult, and one thing we know is that Sheik Mansour, Khaldoon and others are well trained in the arts of capitalism having studied at places like Oxford and Harvard. The article was nothing to do with football at all except that there was a mention of Sheik Mansour buying City as an example of this way of opening peoples minds and helping to change opinions at home. Maybe the PR exercise is as much for the people in Abu Dhabi as it is for us outside it. Please bear in mind that I read this article quite a few years ago and have no particular interest in politics or many places outside Manchester so this could all be complete rubbish and Sheik Mansour may flog slaves to death while eating babies and I would have no knowledge of that.

And for the record FFP is the most imbecilic, ill thought out crock of shit I've ever heard of since the last time Rodgers opened his mouth.

Interesting comment.

FanchesterCity said:
I didn't want to get roped into this ludicrous debate about the morality of our owners, let alone the nations they represent but -

Surely, MCFC can hardly be a vehicle to 'mask' any issues in Abu Dhabi's values. If anything it brings them into the spotlight (for better or for worse).
Were it not for MCFC being bought, none of us would have heard of the Sheik, and I think you'll find that there were no protests and moral outrage at Abu Dhabi expressed on other forums prior to the take over.

I might have some respect for people highlighting political and social issues in foreign (and domestic) climes aside from football, but when someone believes it's more important to taunt rival fans with such revelations about the 'shocking' behaviour rather than getting off their arse and attempting to influence change - then it says all you need to know.

It's a faux morale outrage and convinces nobody with a brain.

Indeed, in reality he doesn't come across as having a clue what he is talking about. I'd really not waste any time on the plum, you'll not convince him and he's grandiose allegations lack any detail to challenge without derailing the thread entirely.

If I recognised any sort of connection between MCFC and human rights, I would have fired the club off when Shinawatra arrived.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.