City in New York

somervillain said:
Marvin said:
So a kid who is really good at football at say 10-12 gets siphoned off towards another sport because that's where the money is?

When I was a kid. The kids who were good at football were also the same ones who were good at Rugby, Atheltics, Cricket etc. Sure it's the same the world over, and the talented kids will opt for the highest profile sports and those with the highest monetary rewards (usually the same)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=420353&root=us&cc=5901

When athletes like Chad Johnson start playing footy instead of throwball/basketball/baseball, then you'll see the US will make the jump from that-plucky-technically-sound-side-who-squeak-through-to-the-World-Cup-quarters-every-so-often to a legit footballing power.

CJ did do a brazilian move when he changed his name
ocho_cinco_number_85_bengals_chad_johnson.jpg

PaulPowerShower said:
Does anyone honestley give a hoot about Yankball??

Really?

Well, some people do as we have a thread about it. I never understand these people who come onboard say that no one carse about a topic that they are already talking about! If it doesnt interest you, then theres only about 500 other threads that might intesret you!! WTF??

Marvin said:
Frank the Yank said:
Its been the most played in the USA for a while now. Its a much cheaper alternative to American football and a much safer option as well for schools. The problem is that our best athletes do not tend to play the sport. thats why we wont be a world power. I think the fact that our region, CONCACAF, is the easiest from which to qualify actually HURTS us in the long run....
So a kid who is really good at football at say 10-12 gets siphoned off towards another sport because that's where the money is?

When I was a kid. The kids who were good at football were also the same ones who were good at Rugby, Atheltics, Cricket etc. Sure it's the same the world over, and the talented kids will opt for the highest profile sports and those with the highest monetary rewards (usually the same)

Well, some of the best athletes might not even be exposed to soccer/football.

I coach 'soccer' & have coached it in the US for the last 5 years. I own my own company doing so & it's safe to say that football will never be a prime time sport in America.

At youth level the involvement is huge (although it's being rapidly caught up by Lacrosse) but the biggest problem is, both in development & understanding is that very few people (both players, parents & coaches) watch the game & therefore they miss out on understanding movement, penetration & all off the ball play. Technically & athletically the kids are sound, but they don't 'get' the game entirely.

As soon as the player graduates high school, they hardly ever play football again (they go to college where they're subjected to the traditional American sports & the drinking that goes along with it).

I could also go on about the standard of coaching at the high school level, but I think I would rapidly develop an ulcer.

Was in New York in August and managed to watch both the Crystal Palace and Portsmouth matches with the lads from the City NYC supporters club. They were in the process of changing from Nevada Smiths to The Madhatter due to the fact they were getting a bit of 2nd class treatment in terms of what games were screened (mainly Arsenal and Scum) and on other occasions no sound.
The Madhatter is a great little bar and anyone going to NY should get in there, from what the lads and the owner were saying they'll have most if not all of the games on this season.
For those of you thinking of going the Madhatter is on 3Ave at the corner of 23rd Street, about a $6 or $7 dollar cab ride from the South side of Central Park.
I'd upload some pics if somebody can tell me how, I can also pass on some e-mail addresses for some of the NY lads so anyone going out can get the latest info on upcoming matches.

On a similar note, being the old romantic that I am, I'm taking the wife to Rome for our wedding aniversary and will be missing the Birmingham away game. I'm hoping to sneak off for a couple of hours to watch it. So by any chance does any blue out there know where I maybe able to watch the game in Rome?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.